No announcement yet.

Stair climbing not accurate

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stair climbing not accurate

Hi all. Just got my VA3 on Friday and have noticed that stair climbing is very in accurate. I’ve gone up and down a flight of stairs about 5x this morning and my stair counter widget shows 1 flight!

This may provide some insight .

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...chQuery=Stairs

Comment

hi Runnerguy101, I can confirm for my FR935 that Garmins Stairs info linked by TMK17 worked for me...

and this point from the info changed it
      • Do not skip stairs (walking up every other stair)

Used to take two steps at a time, changing this into one step at a time for the first six steps worked for me.

happy stairs stepping
      Last edited by OnlyTwo; 09-16-2018, 12:19 PM. Reason: sorting letters

Comment

Simply put, the barometric altimeter in the VA3 (or at least in many VA3 samples) does not work, as witnessed in many threads about it in this forum and independently of what any garmin support web page. says. As a consequence, the stair counter is a de facto pseudorandom number generator.

Comment

Can't agree. However, I only have the watch a week!! But it's counting my floors ALMOST perfectly at home and at work. I went upstairs to give my daughters a kiss before going to work this morning, 1 floor recorded. Yesterday's count was 24 floors, when I mentally counted I think 25. I'm happy with that. No perfect, but certainly not a random number generator either.

Oh, and the set of steps that goes from my basement to my back yard is only 8 feet. I can cheat there. When I get to the top landing, if I raise my arm over my head, I get credit for the floor (10 feet).

GC
          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 09-17-2018, 09:38 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Then either you live in a cool climate or you are a lucky owner of a working sample.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatCanadian View Post
              Can't agree.
              Many owners would love to swap their VA3 for yours.

Comment

Originally posted by CeroSeis View Post
                Then either you live in a cool climate or you are a lucky owner of a working sample.
                Yes I'm in eastern Canada. Are cooler climates more favorable? Since I read the earlier posts I've closely monitored the floors and steps readings, and they're practically dead on

GC

Comment

Working...
                X