No announcement yet.

Vivo Active 3 Music

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivo Active 3 Music

is ist released? any experience on that new watch?

DC Rainmaker has a brief overview on his site and says that it's officially announced and available for order right now. Outside of the addition of music he doesn't see any difference in the functionality between the old and the new.

Looking at the photos in his article it looked to me like the new watch was a little thicker than the original so I checked the specs on the Garmin site. According to that the Music is .4mm smaller in diameter (43.1mm vs 43.4mm) and ~2mm thicker (13.6mm vx 11.7mm) Also the stainless steel bezel is gone and the whole front of the watch is glass with index marks underneath.

Comment

There's already a new forum here for it. From DCR's review, it also has wifi. If it's like the 645m, that's nice for syncing and FW updates too, and not just iHeartRadio, etc.
      My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
      Facebook - Instagram -
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by R_Tellis View Post
        Also the stainless steel bezel is gone and the whole front of the watch is glass with index marks underneath.
        The stainless bezel is a deal-breaker for me which is why I'm not kicking myself that I got a regular VA3 instead of this one. The whole point for replacing my trusty VAHR was to get something that would pass as a dress watch which I don't exactly see in this music edition of VA3. I wonder why Garmin would even change the bezel as the model name is pretty much the same and wouldn't these kinds of changes risk alienating early adopters who paid the full price.

Comment

I'm kinda digging the full glass bezel. Curious how it will hold up to long term use where the current bezel kinda protects the glass. The most important change I see (besides music) is they moved the barometric ports to the side and made them larger. (Less likely for the wrist to interfere with the readings)

Comment

While y'all are excited about the music, am I the only one excited about the improved sleep tracking??

Tucked in the news release is this: https://www.cnet.com/news/garmins-ne...leep-tracking/

"Garmin's also promising an improved sleep tracking system that's arriving "soon," using heart rate variability and adding REM, light and deep sleep awareness -- much like what Fitbit already does. The sleep tracking enhancements will come to the Vivoactive 3, Forerunner 645, Forerunner 935, Fenix 5 watches, Vivosport, Vivosmart 3 and Vivomove HR."

"You don't really care about the music, do ya"? (get the reference? )

Comment

Arstechnica says good things about it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...e-apple-watch/

Comment

Bummer! At REI for the same price I paid for the slate VA3. Not so interested for the music, Although that's nice and I would use it... But the wifi would be nice for those times I am not near my phone... I'll keep an eye on the forums for new issues. Maybe my daughter will get an upgrade to the hand-me-down VA-HR she got in January..

Comment

Originally posted by litetaker View Post
                  While y'all are excited about the music, am I the only one excited about the improved sleep tracking??

Tucked in the news release is this: https://www.cnet.com/news/garmins-ne...leep-tracking/

"Garmin's also promising an improved sleep tracking system that's arriving "soon," using heart rate variability and adding REM, light and deep sleep awareness -- much like what Fitbit already does. The sleep tracking enhancements will come to the Vivoactive 3, Forerunner 645, Forerunner 935, Fenix 5 watches, Vivosport, Vivosmart 3 and Vivomove HR."

"You don't really care about the music, do ya"? (get the reference? )
                  There's really no need to be excited over the "improved" sleep tracking. Your watch already records light and deep sleep. The only change is the addition of REM sleep and that's going to be nothing but a guess. To go from deep sleep to REM sleep you have rapid eye movement (obviously), increased brain activity and slight muscle twitching. Without these you're still in a state of deep sleep. Garmin, nor Fitbit for that matter, can detect these with their watches. What Fitbit has done (and Garmin will have to also) is guess. The average person goes from light sleep to deep sleep after "x" minutes. Then the average person will enter REM sleep "x" minutes after deep sleep. The average person will stay in REM sleep for "x" minutes. These "averages" depend on uninterrupted sleep, medication taken, alcohol consumption, etc... Your sleep patterns may very well be average. Or well above or below average. It's just a guess based on averages. Fitbit even has a disclosure stating their sleep tracking is an "estimate".

Comment

Originally posted by TMK17 View Post

There's really no need to be excited over the "improved" sleep tracking. Your watch already records light and deep sleep. The only change is the addition of REM sleep and that's going to be nothing but a guess. To go from deep sleep to REM sleep you have rapid eye movement (obviously), increased brain activity and slight muscle twitching. Without these you're still in a state of deep sleep. Garmin, nor Fitbit for that matter, can detect these with their watches. What Fitbit has done (and Garmin will have to also) is guess. The average person goes from light sleep to deep sleep after "x" minutes. Then the average person will enter REM sleep "x" minutes after deep sleep. The average person will stay in REM sleep for "x" minutes. These "averages" depend on uninterrupted sleep, medication taken, alcohol consumption, etc... Your sleep patterns may very well be average. Or well above or below average. It's just a guess based on averages. Fitbit even has a disclosure stating their sleep tracking is an "estimate".
                    Wow, holy cow! Are you folks a bunch of debbie downers or what? Why is everyone so serious and somewhat cynical in these forums? At least that is what I feel. Yes, I know very well that Fitbit does not do sleep tracking scientifically accurately. Nor will Garmin, unless they have conjured some magic. But it is still useful to have them use heart rate data to guesstimate things they have not been doing before. And I saw some threads under feature request that asked for improved sleep tracking. So at least some users will be excited for the new feature.

And regardless of the inaccuracies in the tracking approach, Fitbit is considered one of the best at it given the available tech. So, I think it is definitely something to feel excited about if you get more clarity on your sleep due to additional data points via heart rate.

Comment

litetaker Debbie downers? Just because someone told you something you didn't want to hear? My goal was to provide information. What would make you think my sole purpose was to bring down a complete stranger? You say that you're aware that the tracking isn't scientifically accurate, yet you're excited. Little things.......... I'm sorry you feel that the people on this forum are so serious and somewhat cynical. I'd add little ponies, balloons and twinkling star emoji's to make you feel better, but I can't find them.
                      Last edited by TMK17; 06-13-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I’m with TMK17 here. The ability to gauge light and deep sleep based on HR & movement should be fairly straight forward, but can and will, go wrong at times. REM sleep on the other hand is a very different thing. While they might make some good guesses from what I’ve read they’re basing it off of HRV data which isn’t done very well by optical sensors.

If Garmin wants to impress me with sleep tracking updates they need to bring back a way to track naps.

Comment

Originally posted by TMK17 View Post
                          litetaker Debbie downers? Just because someone told you something you didn't want to hear? My goal was to provide information. What would make you think my sole purpose was to bring down a complete stranger? You say that you're aware that the tracking isn't scientifically accurate, yet you're excited. Little things.......... I'm sorry you feel that the people on this forum are so serious and somewhat cynical. I'd add little ponies, balloons and twinkling star emoji's to make you feel better, but I can't find them.
                          I do not disagree with your statement about the capabilities of the feature and the pitfalls and inaccuracies. I don't want to quibble on unnecessary things, when I am not in any disagreement with you to begin with. And you can quit with the sarcastic tone. No, my "feelings" weren't hurt because someone said something I did not want to hear, and how can they when I heard what I already knew? When I said I am excited about such-and-such, I said it in the context of the quote I provided earlier, which basically said this brings Garmin's features on par with other devices. I was excited in the context of being able to get the same information that I previously got from my old device. I was not excited in the context of this being some miracle, cure-all for sleep tracking. Perhaps you assumed the extreme when I said excited and thought I'll be running around euphorically! No, I just used that word in a colloquial fashion.

You just misunderstood the tone of my statement. Perhaps I should have said "I am happy to see that Garmin is bringing its sleep tracking feature closer to competition" as that is what I meant. So I found it strange when you were dismissive of this update in this context, because why shouldn't we be happy to get a bit better sleep tracking? I did not mean to be rude but was just pointing out my surprise to your response.

Comment

I love the way garmin changed the bezel!
                            After the very, very sportive looks from VA1 and VA HR, they released a beautiful allday-watch which does not look like a fitness tracker. I´m quite sure, that this was one of the reasons, why people bought it.
                            Now, they gone back to the roots. To a cheap plastic-look!

I´ll definitely stay with my VA3 and be happy about the nice look. I´ll not be triggert to change it to a newer version, in any way.
                            Thank you garmin for not making me envious of the replacement
                            Devices: Forerunner 405, Vivoactive & Virb X & XE
                            GitHub: Read diagnostic system via Bluetooth
                            YouTube: My channel
                            App: Stretch

Comment

Full glass and no bezel = no way I'll buy it. I may just be a clod but I had an Apple watch. After a month I clipped the watch on the edge of a doorway and cracked the glass. $300 to repair. Went into the dumpster instead. I won't but a watch without a bezel since then. Might work ok for you more graceful types. But not for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X