Vivosmart screen missing lines of pixel for display

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Vivosmart has same problem

Originally posted by Duncan074 View Post
    Really disapointed. However, whilst I've zero faith in any replacement being better, then I can't think of any alternative activity tracker I'd want to move to. Auto sleep, small and subtle, and critically the movement reminder (good for desk based jobs) kinda limits me.
    As I mentioned above, I had one that failed and replaced it with a second - that failed. I just received a third to replace the second and, even before I've set it up, the screen is disappearing. Once this one is unreadable I'm leaving Garmin and going elsewhere. It's a shame. I love the Vivosmart otherwise.

Comment

Yep mine has missing lines too very dissapointed as this is the second one to fail in a very short time

Comment

Replaced with HR

Garmin was quite good about the situation. They replaced one Vivosmart during its warranty and the replacement after the warranty expired. They were replaced by vivosmarts. They replaced the third defective band with the new Vivosmart HR. I was given no hassle at all.

Unfortunately, the HR is no better than a beta. It is having serious problems with overcounting steps, overcounting step calories, undercounting stairs, undercounting resting heart rate, undercounting heart rate and undercounting active minutes. it does keep time well! I think the band was released too soon in order to put it on the Christmas market.

Garmin's techs have told me they know about these problems and are working on an update to the OS. Since the HR was "free" I can hardly complain right now, but will if the update does not fix these problems. I typically don't buy the first release of anything precisely due to potential bugs. The HR shows why that is wise.

Comment

Hello!
          I had a display problem a month ago, but after a week or so it's somehow fixed itself (missing parts of display, same as on the picture). It got fixed somehow, so i didn't return it (i was about to), it was all good, until today. As you can see the attachment, parts of the display is missing.
          The problem is: I bought it exactly a year ago (Feb 3). I have to the receipt (and box...), probably i have the warranty paper somewhere too... Is there any chance this problem will fix itself (maybe fw issue?), or i got unlucky and it only worked properly until the warranty was live... 225 USD (bought it in HUF) and without any physical damage it gets this little, but annoying problem makes me sad. It's not as bad as other display issues, but still bugs me. I see Support is helpful, but since i can't return it today is there any chance i will get a replacement?
          garmin_k.jpg

Comment

Jim,

Contact support. They have replaced it for others even after the warranty had expired. They have also replaced them with vivoactives for many people.

Comment

Garmin has extended the warranty on vivosmarts for display related failures to 2 years. I'd recommend to contact support if you are over a year, you will still be covered.

Comment

Just replaced my second one

First VS died after swimming with it. Second one had screen issue. Best Buy let me replace with VS HR

Comment

thanks

Thanks, guys, i will contact support. Didn't know about the 2 years display warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by KDUB114 View Post
                    Garmin has extended the warranty on vivosmarts for display related failures to 2 years. I'd recommend to contact support if you are over a year, you will still be covered.
                    Where was this announced? I have looked around but can't find anything about the extension. I just had my original replaced under warranty after
                    six months. An extra years coverage will work. I would hope that there would be something on the market by then to entice me to upgrade.

Thanks!
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by JimMorrison723 View Post
                      Thanks, guys, i will contact support. Didn't know about the 2 years display warranty.
                      I asked this to the support yesterday - they said "yes"
                      I also did not find any official mentioning anywhere.

I'm waiting for my sixth replacement.
                      Last 3 had the very same screen issue within 60-80days - fading lines.

Ironically I do not need 2years warranty as I can not exceed the 90days replacement warranty
                      So as long as I'm willing to pay the "rent" (shipping cost for the periodical replacements) I can keep a working VS.

Comment

I admire those of you who are sticking to the VS despite the display issues. After my 4th replacement in 6 months, I took up Garmin's offer of an upgrade to the vivoactive, that's what I have now.

Just my two cents;

My 3rd and 4th replacement all started showing signs of deterioration in display quality within the first week of me receiving it from Garmin. If you can wait until the display has deteriorated to the point where you can no longer read, good for you. But I think that the reason why my 3rd and 4th replacements starting deteriorating so quickly because of old age. It is possible that Garmin is no longer investing time and effort into improving the VS, and they might have scaled back production, so all the replacement units have possibly been sitting in the warehouse for a very long time before being shipped to you as replacements. Of course, I am just guessing, but it sounds plausible to me that this is the reason why the display is fading within the first week of me using it. Pretty sure that my 4th replacement started fading possibly the second or third day I got it. Garmin customer service actually requested a picture (which I was happy to provide) because something like that had never been reported to them.

I thought about keeping the vivosmart until at least after the first year had passed (I got it in June 2015), but it was a huge hassle to have to keep requesting for a replacement, paying for shipping, etc. At the end of the day, even if the VS lasted an average of one or two months, I would be requesting a replacement another 2 or 3 times before I hit the one year anniversary. If I decide to hold Garmin to the two year warranty on its display, I would be requesting a replacement of a total of 6 to 7 times more. If you add up the postage you're paying, that's a huge chunk of change and you could have easily replaced it with another activity monitor. I get that the vivosmart is a great product (except for display issues), I liked it a lot too, but the hassle of having to replace it so often and returning the product and all of that didn't make sense to me. Sure, I got a "new" vivosmart, but in the long run you've possibly paid in shipping the equivalent of a brand new activity monitor.

Again, just my two cents. I personally think that if I paid $149 for a product, it should last at least a whole year before I have to spend more money on it. If I had to pay a one-off shipping fee for warranty repair, sure, but this is a little too much.

Comment

I'm on my second one. First one replaced under warranty. Second one started losing pixels near end of warranty. I'll just muddle on through until it becomes unusable. At that point, I'll either go back to a regular watch or look at the smartwatch offerings. I won't write off Garmin completely, but I am a bit soured on the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by JaderoCA View Post
                            I'm on my second one. First one replaced under warranty. Second one started losing pixels near end of warranty. I'll just muddle on through until it becomes unusable. At that point, I'll either go back to a regular watch or look at the smartwatch offerings. I won't write off Garmin completely, but I am a bit soured on the deal.
                            They extended the warranty by a year. Call them and they should upgrade you to a vivoactive free of charge.

Comment

I'm curios if anyone has thoughts on why Garmin are offering the $220 vivoactive as a replacement for the $150 vivosmart instead of the same priced and more direct replacement of the vivosmart hr? Is the vivoactive about to be replaced by a new version and they are trying to run down stock? Also, anyone asked about paying the difference to get something else, I'd happily give them $30 to get a forerunner 230.

Comment

I think it's because it's a mature product and given recent history with other products, a VAHR is probably coming soon. That doesn't that mean that the VA will be rendered obsolete as a new model will probably be thicker, have different battery life, and a revised price. After all, Garmin continues to sell the vivofit1 a year after the vf2 arrived.

Incidentally, they have replaced vivosmarts with vshr's for some people but mostly it's been va's. Also, since the VSHR doesn't have the same form factor as the vs, people would have to move away from the sleek design of the vs to change to a different device. Therefore, the va makes as much sense as the vshr for replacement. If the vshr had the same form factor, people might not easily accept the va as readily.

Comment

Working...
                                X