Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connect not uploading 60CSx activities (again)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect not uploading 60CSx activities (again)

Connect recognizes my device and goes though the motions of uploading but nothing ever appears in my Activities. No error messages or anything.

Yes, I did download the latest USB driver, but it says my version is current.

Are any other 60CSx users experiencing this, or am I suffering alone?

Ed

Not having gotten any replies to this I contacted Garmin Support. Here is what they said:

"Connect is not made to work with the outdoor handheld devices so I'm not sure why it has been working because it wasn't designed to work with these devices. According to the compatible device list on Garmin Connect it says that you will need to use BaseCamp for all Outdoor devices. "

Can this possibly be true? I think the person who got my support request was new to the job or something since I've been using it with my 60CSx for years. And if not for "outdoor handheld devices" what would one use Connect for?

I've written back and asked for another opinion, but in the meanwhile thought I'd ask if anyone here has heard of such a thing.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by JAG_MAN653 View Post
      Can this possibly be true?
      I think so yes.

My understanding is that Garmin Connect was created for their "fitness" range of products such as watches, cycling units etc.

The 60CSx is classified by Garmin as an "outdoor" unit although IMO it is more general purpose. The 60Cx/76Cx models came out in early 2006 long before Garmin Connect even existed.

Online Training Community Gets A Makeover As MotionBasedĀ® Becomes Garmin Connect
      (August 29, 2007)

I don't use or even know much about Connect. That said I seem to recall that one can upload GPX files (from a device) and that one can edit the GPX header for "unsupported" devices to make that work.
      Last edited by STUARTMW; 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM.
      nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Thanks, Stuart. But the thing is I've been doing it for about 3 years. From time to time it breaks, but most of the time it works fine. I've uploaded over a hundred hikes.

The main feature of Connect is the ability to upload activities. Once there you can see the track on an interactive map, read a summary of stats, e.g., distance, average speed, see elevation profile, etc. The link for an activity can be sent to friends. And finally, there are various reports that can be displayed, e.g., miles hiked last year, total ascent etc. Frankly, these are the main reasons I carry the 60CSx. On rare occasion I preload a route to follow, but without Connect it would probably spend the rest of it's live in the drawer.

So, for now I'm sticking with the hope that the problem will eventually be fixed. BTW, I can often work around the problem by doing a "manual upload" wherein the track data saved on the device microSD card is selected and uploaded. It's far less convenient that just hitting "Upload all recent activities."

Comment

Originally posted by JAG_MAN653 View Post
          But the thing is I've been doing it for about 3 years.
          Understood. However the 60Cx/76Cx model line was discontinued a while ago now. While still perfectly usable my guess is that Garmin no longer wants to support them in any way. After all their business is selling GPS units. I see no reason why Connect functionality would suddenly stop working unless support was deliberately withdrawn.

PS: I don't mean to imply that I agree with any withdrawl of support. I don't. I'm merely stating what I see to be Garmin's view.
          Last edited by STUARTMW; 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM.
          nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

As you can see in this thread, I've upload to Connect from my 60CSX using Communicator for a long time. Up until a few weeks ago the "Upload all new activity" feature worked, making it very easy. That feature no longer works, but there is a workaround: Set the device to ALSO record all activity to the microSD card, then use the Manual upload to upload the activities one by one directly from the card.

I've been complaining to Customer support to get the "Upload all new activity" feature working again. They are saying their hands are tied because the device is no longer on the Connect list of supported devices. They suggested I submit my request for restoration as an "Idea" at http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/. I have done so and would appreciate it if all other 60CSx users would do the same. This is a suggestion from Customer Support.

Comment

Working...
            X