Errors in Garmin Connect maps

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors in Garmin Connect maps

Hi,

Created a course in Garmin Connect , but there is an error with elevation data. There is a steep elevation loss and gain on the route I have created that I can confirm does not represent the true topgraphy. Just have a look at the screenshot from Garmin Connect.

How do I report this error and to whom?

Thanks.
    Regards,

Jim
    Garmin devices: Fenix 5 Plus, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control
    (Retired/Sold: Edge 705, Edge 1000, Fenix 5x)

When you create a course in Garmin Connect, you can select map provider, by expanding the list in the upper right corner. So if you want to get it fixed, you should contact the map provider.
    Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite, tempe
    Retired: eTrex Legend, Swim

Comment

Those elevations are detected via satellite radar systems and recorded in a digital elevation model (DEM). I am not aware of how to report a DEM error.

Comment

ok. I went back to the course, put 2 waypoints outside the area that causes errors. Then I tried with all 3 maps and with follow road and popularity routing to redo the course creation by moving one of the waipoints along the course. The dip in elevation remains... But all maps option created a similar route. Looks like they all use the same source data in terms of topography.
        Regards,

Jim
        Garmin devices: Fenix 5 Plus, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control
        (Retired/Sold: Edge 705, Edge 1000, Fenix 5x)

Comment

Originally posted by jimoestman View Post
          Looks like they all use the same source data in terms of topography.
          This is quite possible. But it is also possible that Garmin Connect utilises a separate DEM layer, independent of the selected map.
          Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite, tempe

Comment

Many digital systems use the same ellipsoid for the approximating the world ... WGS84 ...most times this is fine but in some areas this can be out by a lot. In the UK the Ordnance Survey use a different ellipsoid for approximating the earth around the British Isles. This is also backed up by the fact that Oslo has one of the highest recorded gravity g ... related to the high radius of the earth there ...

Comment

Ellipsoid shape is not the same as DEM data. And certainly does not explain the issue described here.

Comment

Working...
              X