Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Notification Privacy - Just the app name (VA3)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Notification Privacy - Just the app name (VA3)

Request to have an option for more privacy on Smart Notifications - Ideally, just the app name appearing, similar to the existing privacy feature for Android lock screen notifications. e.g, just "Messaging" instead of "Your one time code to access your bank account is XXXXXXX"!

I understand (from a discussion in another thread) that different Garmin devices have different privacy settings, this does not seem to be possible on my device (VA3).

Thanks.

As I understand it, Garmin Connect Mobile just forwards simple message content that the originating app is able to display in your mobile device operating system's Notification Centre (when its screen is not locked); GCM does not apply any processing or filtering based on either the actual message content or any associated metadata.

Comment

@ASmugDill: Wrong. Actually the VA3 shows the content of the notification even if settings (at least on iOS) is set to show only app name on the lock screen. The Fenix 5+ however has a new privacy mode which in practice means that the notification is only shown as app name + icon. Further it's possible to show the notification content by a gesture or button press.

As said, this is a new feature, however I don't see any reason why it can't be trickled down to the VA3 in a FW update. (But of course I assume you will find multiple reasons why Garmin won't trickle it down based on commercial concerns, customer hasn't paid for it, and why on earth should Garmin do any innovation at all)

Comment

Originally posted by SAHO View Post
        @ASmugDill: Wrong. Actually the VA3 shows the content of the notification even if settings (at least on iOS) is set to show only app name on the lock screen.
        Wrong how? I said that the Garmin Connect Mobile app does not apply any filtering, but sends whatever simple content is available to the Notification Centre by the originating app when the screen is not locked; the user's lock screen preferences plays no part.

Comment

Sorry, I changed around on the composition of my reply so I see now it isn't obvious what I meant by 'wrong'.

I meant that it's wrong that GCM and/or the device can't filter or modify the available information in a notification because on the new F5+ it very much does so already, and I assume that this function will spread across to other devices through FW updates. (at least I can't see why it wouldn't).

Comment

Thanks for the feedback people. Hopefully Garmin will roll out this feature (or similar) to all applicable devices in due course.

Comment

Working...
            X