How to repair a .fit file?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings, all! I've got a corrupt fit file on my hands and was hoping you could help. Is someone able to help me repair this file? I have been using my Garmin Edge 520 for 3 years and haven't had a bad fit file like this before. The firmware on the computer itself is updated and was working the other day. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

For reference, here's my email: moinipanahs@gmail.com.

Thank you all in advance!

Best,
    Sepie Moinipanah
    Attached Files

Comment

• hi Sepie,

There is less than a miles worth of data contained in that file - this file contains what has been recovered.

cheers
      Mike
      All file repairs are done using the Fit File Repair Tool.

I am not a Garmin employee and I am not affiliated with them in any manner - other than I own three of their products.
      For all intents and purposes this is a peer-to-peer forum and any assistance provided is voluntary and on an 'as time allows' basis.
      Garmin Support from Garmin employees can be found here. Suggestions to Garmin or rants can be made here.

Comment

• Thanks for your help, Mike! That didn't seem to fix it though

Comment

• hi Sepie,

I've been able to upload the file to both my GC and Strava accounts. You have deleted the file from GC or Strava if you have previously uploaded it? Have you tried doing it as a manual upload?

cheers
          Mike

I am not a Garmin employee and I am not affiliated with them in any manner - other than I own three of their products.
          For all intents and purposes this is a peer-to-peer forum and any assistance provided is voluntary and on an 'as time allows' basis.
          Garmin Support from Garmin employees can be found here. Suggestions to Garmin or rants can be made here.

Comment

• Mike,

I am able to upload the file to both GC and Strava using the manual upload feature which requires me to locate the corrected fit file. The issue isn't that the fit isn't recognized but that the GPS data is missing. The route was 15.3 miles but when I load the fit file to GC or Strava, it's listed at 0.8 miles in total distance.

Uploading to Strava yields the same results as shown below. Are there any other steps that can be taken to correct the file?

Best,
            Sepie Moinipanah

Comment

• hi Sepie,

As I noted in my original post, the corrupt file only contained 0.8miles worth of data. The remainder of the data just isn't there for me to correct.

cheers
              Mike

Comment

• Hi, is it possible to import .fit files such as the attached one to Garmin Connect? It was generated by the Concept2 indoor rower logbook (log.concept2.com), it's accepted by Strava and Training Peaks, and Endomondo, contains all data, but GC won't recognize it (An error occurred with your upload. Please try again). I used to sync Strava to Garmin Connect via tapiriik.com, but the service has stopped working for me recently. Thanks a lot
                Attached Files

Comment

• hi Oleksiy,

I imported the file in the File File Repair Tool and then used the export function to upload the file to Garmin Connect, which it successfully achieved. FFRT must be changing something in the file structure but as to what I am not sure.
                  So the answer to your question is , Yes, it is possible to import Concept2 indoor rower logbook .fit files into GC BUT only after the structure has been fixed with a tool like FFRT.

Here is the 'fixed' file.

cheers
                  Mike

Comment

• Thanks Mike, worked like a charm, now contains even more data than in files imported from Strava via tapiriik. Will consider buying the FFRT in case I don't find a cheaper solution. This tool is way too expensive for my use.

Comment

• hi, today I accidentally deleted a recording on my Forerunner 235. Luckily I managed to undelete the file on my PC, but it seems to be corrupt. Can anybody help me fix the FIT-file? Thanks in advance!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I'm hoping you can help me as you've helped others. I did an Ironman race and the data is no longer loading: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2011173723 I know it was loading shortly after the race but recently went back to look and it won't load. I was able to pull the FIT file off my watch but when I try to manually import it fails. Is it possible for you to see if something is wrong with the file? It's too large to upload but I've shared it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10k...o3uts_GAnrmKUy

Thanks,

-Chris

Comment

• hi Garthman,

You had a small amount of corrupted data at the end of the file - not sure how much data you have lost but it shouldn't have been a lot.

Give this file a try.

cheers
                          Mike

Comment

• hi Chris,

I am 'tentatively' going to say that it is Garmin Connect issue as I have been able to upload the file to Strava without any issues. But like you, I was getting an upload error with GC.

Couple of days will tell....

cheers
                            Mike

Comment

• Thanks a lot Mike! All important data is in the file.
                              Greetings,
                              Garthman.

Comment

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. That's basically what I was thinking, I tried importing it into Strava and it said that the 5 activities already existed which would lead you to believe that they were able to parse it correctly. Thanks for idiot checking me!

Thanks,

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X