Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Import of Withings wifi scale data now possible...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import of Withings wifi scale data now possible...

So I just ordered a Withings wifi scale, in the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to get the data into Garmin Connect. So I went ahead and created a very simple crude tool to import the data.

Its a command line tool currently, for Mac OSX. It is very crude, but I put it together this afternoon. I plan to add a front end to it, then eventually fully automate the process, but in the meantime, if it helps someone, here is a link to the tool (Intel only). I have only tested it on OSX Lion...

http://bit.ly/withingsconnectosx

Usage from the terminal command line:
    withingsconnect <output fit filename> <weight (kgs)> <body fat (%)> <muscle mass (kgs)>

i.e.

withingsconnect weight.fit 90 25 50

Once the fit file has been created, you can manually upload it to the garmin connect site.

Cheers
    Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I downloaded and when I click on the file it opens Terminal but there is nothing in the Command line. The file withingsconnect is a 353KB text file. Do you open in TextEdit and then copy/paste the entire contents to Terminal?

Comment

I would like to know how this works as I am thinking of getting a set of these scales and would like it to work with the Garmin Connect Site
      any info would be great

Comment

FitGenerator Mac and PC

Created a Fit file generator for Mac (osx lion tested) and PC (tested on XP and 7)

Screenshots of mac version:

Anyone interested?

Comment

Originally posted by BRIANHEILAND View Post
          Created a Fit file generator for Mac (osx lion tested) and PC (tested on XP and 7)

Anyone interested?
          Yes very interested in the Mac version

Comment

Anyone interested?
            Yes please !! Could you post it up on the forum as an attachment, or DM me so you can send it by email ? That would be BRILLIANT. Thanks !!

Comment

Anyone interested?
              Looks great! Will be a very popular download.

Is there a link?

Comment

Link to Mac Version

If anyone wants to try the program here is the link to the mac version, PC version will be posted later.

https://files.me.com/bheiland/yjakuy
                Last edited by BRIANHEILAND; 01-15-2012, 12:00 AM. Reason: New file update.

Comment

If anyone wants to try the program here is the link to the mac version, PC version will be posted later.

https://files.me.com/bheiland/yjakuy
                  Thanks, but it so far it gets the date wrong 9 out of 10 tries. Seems to just upload to a random close date (just a day or 2 off). For instance I can set it to 1/12/12 and it will upload to 1/14/12.

Example
                  Last edited by julien321; 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Original upload date was not functioning.

Originally posted by JULIEN321 View Post
                    Thanks, but it so far it gets the date wrong 9 out of 10 tries. Seems to just upload to a random close date (just a day or 2 off). For instance I can set it to 1/12/12 and it will upload to 1/14/12.

Example
                    When I initially uploaded the program it was a version that the calendar selection was not working correctly. The link now contains a version that should set the date correctly. I discovered my mistake about an hour after I made the upload and have since uploaded the latest version of software.

Comment

When I initially uploaded the program it was a version that the calendar selection was not working correctly. The link now contains a version that should set the date correctly. I discovered my mistake about an hour after I made the upload and have since uploaded the latest version of software.
                      Thanks, I'll give it a try this afternoon. FIRST this is FANTASTIC and much needed. Now just a couple of request/suggestions.

1) On Date can you add a Calendar select drop down? Selecting the Date/Time is a little complex.

2) Also the sliders for Weight and Body Fat seem redundant and just typing in the field is much easer.

3) Probably a Connect limitation but is there a way to enter multiple measurements in one file?

Comment

Improvements....

I agree the sliders are redundant and should probably be removed.
                        I am fairly new to Mac programming, having done more windows programming with Visual Basic. I became a Mac user about 3 years ago and wanted to learn programming in the Mac environment.

This is the first Mac program that I have shared with anyone. It was a fairly big learning process for me to reach this point, and the inclusion of the sliders was just an opportunity for me to see if I could program the sliders and the text fields as input methods.

I wanted to make the calendar a drop down "calendar view" but was not sure how to apply the time to the date.

In the date time field selecting a unit day, month , hour, min, second or year and using the cursor keys allows for easy changes to the units.

I would like to be able to upload multiple events in one file, but have just focused on what you see so far.

There is a link on one of these forums to a website that will goto the Withings Website and import all of a users information into a single FIT file.

I have not tested that data, but did see the link. Have you tried that resource? Here is the link if you want to try it.
                        http://withings2fit.0xff.jp/
                        I noticed this link just about the time I was finishing my program and thought this thing does far more than what I am offering, but I am not sure if it works or not.
                        Still I wanted the ability to use the software I wrote. And the program I wrote will work with any scale information, it just has to be manually entered.

So you know all dates on the garmin connect site are stored as GMT.

Thanks,
                        Brian

Comment

Excellent app. thanks.

Comment

Just tried that link you posted http://withings2fit.0xff.jp/

Worked a treat and imported all my Withings data into Garmin Connect.

For me, it didn't work with Firefox however.. only IE. It could have something to do with my work PC, so I cannot say for sure that it is not compatible with Firefox.

Would like to try the PC version of your app. Looks like a lot of time and effort put into this! Thanks.

Comment

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Windows version of this uploader...

Comment

Working...
                              X