Create Segments issues

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create Segments issues

I'm trying to create a segment using Garmin Connect
    I go to Activities, according the instruction from Garmin, I must select Create Segment under the segment tab at the very bottom of the screen, Unfortunately I cannot find create segment tab.
    Can anybody figure out what I'm doing wrong?

What browser are you using?

I'm using Chrome. After opening an activity, I can see "Create Segment" near the bottom of the page

How to Create a Segment
    1. Choose an activity that includes the area you want to turn into a segment
    2. Select "Create a Segment" in the Segments tab
    3. Choose the segment start and finish points on the map or the elevation chart
    4. Save
    Last edited by SEILOGRAMP; 04-15-2017, 06:25 PM.
    myConnect | StravaHeatmap
    F201 | F205 | F305 | 310XT | 920XT | HRM4-Run
    nüvi 1300 | nüvi 52 | nüvi 67 | Dash Cam 45

Comment

Originally posted by ChingEric View Post
      I'm trying to create a segment using Garmin Connect
      I go to Activities, according the instruction from Garmin, I must select Create Segment under the segment tab at the very bottom of the screen, Unfortunately I cannot find create segment tab.
      Can anybody figure out what I'm doing wrong?
      The tab is not at the very bottom.

It is below the graphs so speed, HR, etc and above the Stats. It is where you can select Stats, Splits, Segments, and Time in Zones.

Comment

Originally posted by ChingEric View Post
        I go to Activities, according the instruction from Garmin
        Also make sure you actually open an activity, not just go to your activities page.
        myConnect | StravaHeatmap
        F201 | F205 | F305 | 310XT | 920XT | HRM4-Run
        nüvi 1300 | nüvi 52 | nüvi 67 | Dash Cam 45

Comment

No segments tab

Originally posted by SEILOGRAMP View Post
          What browser are you using?

I'm using Chrome. After opening an activity, I can see "Create Segment" near the bottom of the page

How to Create a Segment
          1. Choose an activity that includes the area you want to turn into a segment
          2. Select "Create a Segment" in the Segments tab
          3. Choose the segment start and finish points on the map or the elevation chart
          4. Save
          Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 11.32.41 PM.png
          No Segments tab

Comment

I don't see that tab either.

Comment

My Gear is Fenix 5x, Aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by tommycampbell View Post
                I don't see that tab either.
                Have you any idea?

Comment

Activities must be "public" for Segments to work - also see your privacy settings to check that you have opted in to segments

Comment

Originally posted by mickw46 View Post
                    Activities must be "public" for Segments to work
                    Sorry to doubt you, but are you sure about that?

The privacy setting for this activity is set to Only Me (by default – I haven't touched it), and it shows the Segments tab alright.

Comment

Activities must be "public" for Segments to work - also see your privacy settings to check that you have opted in to segments
                      I record segments for my private activities. But yes check your settings to make sure you have opted into segments.

OP - what activity type are you trying to create a segment for (running/cycling etc)? The segments option isn't available for every activity type. It isn't available for walking for example.

Comment

Looks like I was wrong about the privacy settings. In my defence I think I was mislead by Garmin's "How to Use Garmin Connect" section which states:

"To compete in segments and see your results on the leaderboards,
                        • Go to Settings.
                        • Select Privacy.
                        • Make sure your activity privacy level is set to Everyone (or the level or privacy you prefer).
                        You can opt out of segments if you do not want to use this feature."

My (admittedly failing!) memory recalls that the bit in brackets was not there originally. (I guess the "or" is a typo and should be "of")

Two questions to ASmugDill: If your activity is private (Only Me), can you see other people's segment data? and is your performance on the segment visible to others?

Comment

If your activity is private (Only Me), can you see other people's segment data?
                          Yes.

and is your performance on the segment visible to others?
                          I don't know. Empathy only goes so far; I cannot actually assume their viewpoint without a second Garmin Connect account that also has an activity record over the same segment. (Since I don't use Segments, I'm not motivated to ask someone who is listed in the Leaderboard above, either.)

Comment

Thanks for the information ASmugDill.

I would still be interested to know if anyone else knows if segment performance for "Only Me" activities can be seen by everyone else.

Comment

I would still be interested to know if anyone else knows if segment performance for "Only Me" activities can be seen by everyone else.
                              It works in a similar fashion to Strava, if you complete a segment but your activity is private, you get a time, but don't show in the rankings. If your activity is shared amongst your connections, they will see your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X