No announcement yet.

Bluetooth Issues with Forerunner 225 & Garmin Connect

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth Issues with Forerunner 225 & Garmin Connect

Anyone else having major frustrations with the new Garmin 225 & Bluetooth Sync?

I can't seem to get any help from any Garmin contact us links on this.

• I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. It finds multiple other Bluetooth devices with ease but it takes me multiple turn-on, turn-off attempts on both devices to find the Forerunner 225.
    • If I can get past the first issue above and the phone says it’s connected and the watch say “Status = Connected”, the Garmin Connect App still struggles to connect to the device “Device not found”
    • Sometimes the device name on my Phones Bluetooth menu changes from “Forerunner 225” to “nRF51822” which might explain the problem
    • Then even if I can eventually get the device recognised on my Garmin Connect app, the sync seems similarly impossible to get going. Not matter what I push it doesn’t seem to force the sync. The only way I’ve managed to get it working at all is to wear the watch to sleep and then sync via the sleep mode activity area.

Obviously a very frustrating experience

problem with bluetooth connection

Originally posted by geoffnz View Post

• I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. It finds multiple other Bluetooth devices with ease but it takes me multiple turn-on, turn-off attempts on both devices to find the Forerunner 225.
    • If I can get past the first issue above and the phone says it’s connected and the watch say “Status = Connected”, the Garmin Connect App still struggles to connect to the device “Device not found”
    • Sometimes the device name on my Phones Bluetooth menu changes from “Forerunner 225” to “nRF51822” which might explain the problem
    • Then even if I can eventually get the device recognised on my Garmin Connect app, the sync seems similarly impossible to get going. Not matter what I push it doesn’t seem to force the sync. The only way I’ve managed to get it working at all is to wear the watch to sleep and then sync via the sleep mode activity area.

i have a similar problem. in order to sync, i always need to turn off/turn on my forerunner 225. otherwise despite forerunner bluetooth status shows connected my garmin connect advises me 'not connected'. i only can overcome
    this by restarting the forerunner. hope someone can come up with a solution

Comment

Bluetooth... frustrating !

I agree - totally frustrating.

I purchased one mid-June from a running store. Took it home and tried to set it up. It wouldn't sync to any phone. (Tried several androids and an apple.) Took it back to the running store and they tried syncing it with their phones. Which didn't work, so the running store exchanged it. The new one worked fine for one week. The second week, it would only sync if I turned watch off and back on. This week that doesn't work any longer. (Although it did sync once mid-week... although I have no idea why it worked that one time.) My running store has promised to exchange it again once they get new stock in the door.

I love the watch. The heart rate is accurate, and so convenient on my wrist. The mileage is very accurate. And the watch is easy to use. I had a Garmin 405 with the touch bezel dial - ugh, never did like that as was so ackward to work! So, I love the new FR225 watch, as much as I am frustrated by it. I hope they get the bluetooth figured out, and that my local running store continues to help me out!

Comment

I have the same issue

The first time pairing is OK between Garmin 225 and Nexus 5. Then it will disconnect for no reason. I have to restart both of my phone and watch to reconnect again.
        Sometimes, the watch says "Connected", but Garmin Connect cannot find watch. The watch has some kind of strange name "White[something]". Contacted Garmin for help.

Comment

The first several days the sync via bluetooth worked with ease as expected. Today I have got into the same problem. Nothing helps (turning-on/off both devices, turning on/off bluetooth,...). Forerunner is waithing for the connection and the phone cannot see the device...
          Yes, frustrating...

Comment

unable to sync garmin 225 with android appz

Hi garmin support,

The garmin 225 is not able to sync activities to the android appz "garmin connect".
            To me this feature has never worked.
            However the status from the watch is connected!
            Please, let me us a new firmware to solve this issue.

I have a xperia Z3 compact and a garmin forrunner 225.

Comment

I get the same thing on my LG G4. "Whiterock 225" or "Whitelake 225" connects. The phone and the watch show connected. Garmin Connect doesn't find it. The funny thing is it doesn't want to pair at all when I set the watch in pairing mode.

I also (reluctantly) have an iPhone 6+. It never finds anything.

I love the watch, but this is very troubling.

Originally posted by KEVINJUDD View Post
              The first time pairing is OK between Garmin 225 and Nexus 5. Then it will disconnect for no reason. I have to restart both of my phone and watch to reconnect again.
              Sometimes, the watch says "Connected", but Garmin Connect cannot find watch. The watch has some kind of strange name "White[something]". Contacted Garmin for help.

Comment

Same here. Nexus 5 and Forerunner 225. It sort of worked the first time pairing, and now it cant see it. I just tried it with a friend's iphone 4s and it worked on it, but not the Android which what I need it to work on. After it failed to sync, I told the phone to "forget" the forerunner so as to start from scratch. But now they dont see each other at all

Comment

Me too. I bought this watch 8 days ago and bluetooth had worked only for the first 2 days. It's always recognized as "nRF51822" and get connected; but, Garmin connect app couldn't add it. I tried all advices from Garmin CS - reinstall app and delete activities records in the device, and remove device from garmin connect web page. No matter how, the problem remains.

Really annoying and disappointed.

Comment

Bluetooth nightmare

Everything everyone said here I experienced.... totally frustrated and waiting for the answers.

Comment

one more

Originally posted by tumi.mphahlele View Post
                      Everything everyone said here I experienced.... totally frustrated and waiting for the answers.
                      The same here...

There is official information about this matter?

Comment

Update

After exchanging more than twenty emails and phone conversation with technical support person from Garming; after updated watch firmware to 2.3, after updated Garmin Connect to 2.13; after manually deleted GARMIN/ACTIVITY folder from the watch, this watch just cannot AUTOMATICALLY reconnect to Garmin Connect in my Nexus 5.
                        After many tests, I conclude this watch will only automatically reconnect to Garmin Connect in the following three conditions:
                        1, after restarted the watch;
                        2, after removed the watch from the charging cable which connected to the power outlet;
                        3, after manually deleted GARMIN/ACTIVITY folder from watch.

So sad, Garmin cannot solve this problem.
                        Last edited by KEVINJUDD; 07-30-2015, 12:10 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Garmin Bluetooth

Originally posted by excentrico View Post
                          The same here...

There is official information about this matter?
                          Same problem as others...worked first day or two and then could not reconnect. Tried deleting app and BT connections, etc. Now it never connects. Did see that strange Whiterock name one point at pairing.

Hopefully there is fix forthcoming as don't want the competition.

Comment

Found a fix on a different thread

Originally posted by mrroute66 View Post
                            Same problem as others...worked first day or two and then could not reconnect. Tried deleting app and BT connections, etc. Now it never connects. Did see that strange Whiterock name one point at pairing.

Hopefully there is fix forthcoming as don't want the competition.
                            This worked to get watch reconnected. Now fingers crossed it will still work in 3 days. Now going for run it lost on the reset.
                            ------------------

Originally Posted by AlanLaws
                            To anyone having these annoying Bluetooth issues, THIS IS THE SOLUTION. I have performed everything Garmin support suggested and unpaired/repaired/power cycled so many times on both devices, but this is the only thing that fixed it for me. A quick way to check if you are hitting the same problem as me is to unlock your watch and if you see a SOLID bluetooth icon instantly, your watch is not disconnecting appropriately when it goes into low power mode. What you should see when unlocking the watch is a FLASHING bluetooth icon that goes solid after 5 or so seconds. This is showing the watch re-establishing the bluetooth connection after exiting power saving mode and is the expected behavior.

Perform a Master reset:

1. Power off watch by holding down light button (top left button) and at the prompt to power off the watch "yes"
                            2. After waiting 5 seconds, press and hold the Start/Stop button (red button) and back button (black button below right button on right side of watch)
                            3. While holding the 2 buttons in step 1, also press and hold down the light button (top left black button on watch)

You should now be simultaneously holding 3 buttons
                            The Garmin boot screen should display now on the watch

4. In a few seconds you will hear a beep, release the red Start/stop button
                            5. In a few more seconds you will hear a second beep, release the back button (bottom right button on watch)
                            6. Finally, a third beep will sound and you can release the light button (top left button on watch)
                            7. If performed successfully, the Garmin screen will disappear and the watch will enter initial setup. Answer all of the prompts

8. Remove the old watch from the Garmin connect application under Devices
                            9. Reboot phone for good measure

10. Pair Garmin watch by going to Settings > Bluetooth > Pair Mobile Device
                            11. Open Garmin connect on phone, select Devices > Press the *Plus symbol* in the top right corner to add device > Running > Forerunner 225 > Search

The watch should be instantly found and begin pairing
                            Both devices should show connected now.

The main difference that i see now, is that once my watch goes into low power mode, the watch actually updates its bluetooth pairing status as disconnected from the phone. If I unlock the watch, I now see a blinking bluetooth icon and it takes a few seconds to reconnect. Before, I constantly saw a flashing bluetooth icon and the watch always showed connected.

After waiting a few seconds and allowing bluetooth to re-establish a connection, my Garmin connect app on the phone updates correctly and shows the watch as connected again and begins a sync.

Note, you do have to unlock the watch by pressing the red button twice as previously noted for syncs to occur.
                            Thank you Alan for posting this detailed instruction. That's exacly what I did and I can confirm: THIS IS THE SOLUTION.

Comment

Sync Problems

Hello to all

Can any of the persons with this problem confirm is this solution solved your problems

Best regards

Originally posted by mrroute66 View Post
                              This worked to get watch reconnected. Now fingers crossed it will still work in 3 days. Now going for run it lost on the reset.
                              ------------------

Originally Posted by AlanLaws
                              To anyone having these annoying Bluetooth issues, THIS IS THE SOLUTION. I have performed everything Garmin support suggested and unpaired/repaired/power cycled so many times on both devices, but this is the only thing that fixed it for me. A quick way to check if you are hitting the same problem as me is to unlock your watch and if you see a SOLID bluetooth icon instantly, your watch is not disconnecting appropriately when it goes into low power mode. What you should see when unlocking the watch is a FLASHING bluetooth icon that goes solid after 5 or so seconds. This is showing the watch re-establishing the bluetooth connection after exiting power saving mode and is the expected behavior.

Perform a Master reset:

1. Power off watch by holding down light button (top left button) and at the prompt to power off the watch "yes"
                              2. After waiting 5 seconds, press and hold the Start/Stop button (red button) and back button (black button below right button on right side of watch)
                              3. While holding the 2 buttons in step 1, also press and hold down the light button (top left black button on watch)

You should now be simultaneously holding 3 buttons
                              The Garmin boot screen should display now on the watch

4. In a few seconds you will hear a beep, release the red Start/stop button
                              5. In a few more seconds you will hear a second beep, release the back button (bottom right button on watch)
                              6. Finally, a third beep will sound and you can release the light button (top left button on watch)
                              7. If performed successfully, the Garmin screen will disappear and the watch will enter initial setup. Answer all of the prompts

8. Remove the old watch from the Garmin connect application under Devices
                              9. Reboot phone for good measure

10. Pair Garmin watch by going to Settings > Bluetooth > Pair Mobile Device
                              11. Open Garmin connect on phone, select Devices > Press the *Plus symbol* in the top right corner to add device > Running > Forerunner 225 > Search

The watch should be instantly found and begin pairing
                              Both devices should show connected now.

The main difference that i see now, is that once my watch goes into low power mode, the watch actually updates its bluetooth pairing status as disconnected from the phone. If I unlock the watch, I now see a blinking bluetooth icon and it takes a few seconds to reconnect. Before, I constantly saw a flashing bluetooth icon and the watch always showed connected.

After waiting a few seconds and allowing bluetooth to re-establish a connection, my Garmin connect app on the phone updates correctly and shows the watch as connected again and begins a sync.

Note, you do have to unlock the watch by pressing the red button twice as previously noted for syncs to occur.
                              Thank you Alan for posting this detailed instruction. That's exacly what I did and I can confirm: THIS IS THE SOLUTION.

Comment

Working...
                              X