Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default Music Player

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My watch also ignores my favorite media player - already running in the background or not - and fires up Google Play Music instead, which I do not use at all.

Anyone from Garmin following this thread? PLEASE FIX THIS S**T.

Comment

I've opened a tech support case and its been forwarded to the engineering team. I'm going to pass the link to this thread as other examples of people with problems. I keep looking at the (Garmin) Virb cameras, and clicked the Fathers day e-mail but found out the discount was only on the 360, if they had discounted the lower end I'd have seriously considered one. The street price is lower on a GoPro since they are more popular but my VivimoveHR has controls for the Virb only. But after loosing the ability to choose the music payer it concerns me if I were to spent a little more $ on a Garmin camera and then loose that feature. So I've asked if the ability to choose a specific music player could even be added as a feature request if the current dev direction is to use the last one that was playing.
      Last edited by eugenenine; 06-26-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Hello there,
        I purchased the Forerunner 735XT and have the exactly same problem. I want to control spotify or squeezer with my watch (squeezer is the remote client for my multiroom system at home). I tried to uninstall the stock music app, but then it opened the amazon alexa app. I also uninstalled alexa, but now it opens chrome browser (?!?!?). It also ignores the Music player which is open in foreground. This Bug makes the feature pretty useless.

Im glad to see this issue is discussed. Can you give an update on the progress??

I can only join an-thon: PLEASE FIX THIS!

Comment

Not sure how helpful this is to anyone but I have the Samsung Note8 and I've found by scrolling across to the Bixby Home Page and removing other apps such as Google Play, YouTube etc and Pinning Spotify to the top of the list I can now control Spotify with my phone without having to change any default settings

Hopefully, someone finds this useful

Comment

Same problem to me

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...and-youtube-on

Comment

It worked for Musixmatch and Spotify, or whichever app I was using at the time and now all I can see is Google Play, and I hate Google Play so much! Why is it running? (I know why, it was explained before) I don't want it to be at my phone at all and now it is being opened by my watches instead of Spotify, which I'm spending my money at. Please could it be fixed so it is working again like it was before? It was great, and now it is making me this angry. What is the reason for these useless changes?
              Last edited by Starfis; 08-09-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbeethekidd View Post
                Not sure how helpful this is to anyone but I have the Samsung Note8 and I've found by scrolling across to the Bixby Home Page and removing other apps such as Google Play, YouTube etc and Pinning Spotify to the top of the list I can now control Spotify with my phone without having to change any default settings

Hopefully, someone finds this useful
                Can you explain this in a bit more detail? Once you've done this does the watch always open your default music player? I have a Note 8 and the same problem as everyone else here that it opens the last media application which is often Youtube or Chrome whereas I only ever want it to open Spotiy.

Comment

Same problem here, Google Play opens even though I don't use this programme nor intend to. Same thing happens when Spotify is in use.
                  It's really interesting that no answer from Garmin is coming on how will this be fixed.

Edit1: I've uninstalled the Google Play app and now the controls are just not linked to anything anymore. Watch vibrates, but nothing happens when I press either of the music control buttons.

Edit2: Funny enough few hours following removal of Google Play the watch is now opening the app which controls my vacuum cleaner. This app doesn't have music functionality.
                  Last edited by Lerotron; 08-13-2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lerotron View Post
                    Same problem here, Google Play opens even though I don't use this programme nor intend to. Same thing happens when Spotify is in use.
                    It's really interesting that no answer from Garmin is coming on how will this be fixed.

Edit1: I've uninstalled the Google Play app and now the controls are just not linked to anything anymore. Watch vibrates, but nothing happens when I press either of the music control buttons.

Edit2: Funny enough few hours following removal of Google Play the watch is now opening the app which controls my vacuum cleaner. This app doesn't have music functionality.
                    Hey it took me a while to figure it out, i uninstalled Google play,, then it started opening up notes for some reason :/ . I got my Spotify to finally work.

Here's what I did:

1. uninstall google play

2. turn off your garmin

3. turn it back on

4. resync it ( found garmin menu)

5. Press and hold the light button till it asked to power down

6. press the light button to power it back on

7. open up spotify and try it

Hope it works! Im using Garmin 35 on my note8

Good luck!

Comment

I have the same problem... It was working until I reset my phone. Now, even if I open my favourite music player and start it playing with the phone control, when I try to control the music with my watch (play/pause), it starts google play music. I've tried configuring the phone and the watch, but nothing to do. I'm very disappointed.

Comment

My new watch arrived today. Problem is still there.

Watch: Vivoactive 3
                        Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
                        Desired music player: Spotify

First, Google Music launched when pressing play/pause/previous/next-buttons on my watch. I deactivated this app, and then Chrome launched.. lol. This happens even when I close all apps and have Spotify running on the foreground.

This totally seems like a bug, also because previously in this thread Garmin support explained that the 'device will now be able to control whatever media player is currently active on the phone'.

(Volume up/down does work, as this is not app-specific.)

@Garmin: please inform us when this issue has been resolved.

Comment

Same here - Garmin Vivosport, Galaxy a5 (Android 8.0.0). My desired player is Tidal but Music control consistently opens Samsung Notes. I haven't installed Google Play so I think this is the reason it does not open GP as default.

edit: I send an email to Garmin Support and they resolved the problem! They recommended the following steps, maybe it will be helpful for some of you:
                          • Open your preferred music player
                          • Close the preferred music player
                          • Select your Music controls on the device
                          • What application opens?

In addition to the above test, try this as well:
                          • Open the music player
                          • Attempt to control your music from the Music controls
                          • Does the device respond?
                          For me it helped, I suppose the crucial thing here was closing the music player - before it was open all the time and Garmin music control didn't work at all.
                          My software versions: Android version is 8.0.0, Garmin Connect version 4.12.3. and Tidal ver. 2.9.4.850.4
                          Last edited by AnneMari; 10-23-2018, 12:57 AM. Reason: my problem is solved

Comment

SOLUTION IS HERE. PERSONALLY TESTED TO WORK.

I was unable to control music playing on my phone. I wanted my Fenix 5X to be able to control the Currently Active Music Player on my phone (Say Spotify). All it said was "Start Music on the Phone". When I press Play it opened Google Play Music. That's NOT what I want.

Here's what to do:
                            1. Go to Connect App>Settings>Smart Notifications
                            2. Toggle "All Applications" to ON. DON'T TOUCH THE SCREEN for a few seconds! WAIT for an Android OS prompt to show up, asking you to enable "notifications access" for connect.
                            (IF YOU KEEP TAPPING elsewhere, the prompt goes away! Don't touch anything for a few seconds!)
                            3. If the prompt does NOT show up, REPEAT step 2.
                            4. Once you see the prompt. Tap "settings", then turn "Connect" to ON, enabling the Connect app to get notifications.
                            5. Play music on the desired music player, Go to the Watch music controller, you SHOULD see your active track info and be able to control it from there. Viola!

NOTE: I cannot find that "settings page" anymore after enabling it. But I don't see a reason to deactivate it. Just delete the Connect app if you don't want it anymore. Please tell me if this works and hopefully help others to fix this issue. Garmin!

Comment

artchu :
                              THX for pointing me into the right direction. Finally I can control spotify on my VA3. However, you don't need to allow smart notifications for all applications.

Instead follow these instructions (Android 8.0.0):
                              1. Go to settings, apps, special access, notification access
                              2. Enable Garmin's "Smart Notifications" in the shown list.
                              3. Start spotify playback on phone.
                              4. Control it using watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X