Vector Beta release 3.84 is now available

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector Beta release 3.84 is now available

Hello,

The public Beta, Vector 3.84 firmware, is available for download. This firmware version contains the fixes for a condition that corrupts spindle accelerometer configuration, which then manifests itself as inability to calculate cadence and power from one or both pedals.

Things to note about the public Beta:

1. Please let us know if you encounter any issues or problems with this Beta release. If possible, please provide us with the activity FIT file.
    2. Applying the Beta firmware requires an Edge 1000, Edge 520 (build 3.00 or higher), FR920XT or Fenix 3. Detailed instructions are posted below with the Beta firmware files. Once the new firmware has been applied to Vector, the Vector system will be compatible with any ANT+ compatible display. Later, the production release of Vector firmware will be available via Vector Updater as usual.
    3. There will be no ability to downgrade if you choose to apply the Beta build. Once you have upgraded, you will have to keep the Beta firmware on your Vectors until there is a production release or another Beta release.
    4. Garmin will monitor this forum to support the Beta and this forum is the preferred communication venue for Beta issues. Please direct all issues with the use of the Beta release to this forum.

Change log 3.81 -> 3.84

• Correct accelerometer start-up error that was preventing meaningful data from being captured and reported.
    • Fix a condition where Vector could cause a display to divide by zero when receiving torque data
    • Install angle can be set in a pedal-to-pedal disconnected state. Previously if the pedals were not communicating in a paired system (e.g. the battery died on one) it was not possible to successfully have the system indicate that the install angles had been set.

Files and instructions for Edge 1000 and Edge 520 Users:

1. Plug your Edge into your PC and wait for it to go into mass storage mode. It will appear as a new disk drive and you should see the underlying file structure of the Edge in an Explorer (Win) or Finder (Mac) window.
    2. Download the relevant Vector FW files (GCD) from this forum to your PC and unpack the zip file.
    3. Move all the unpacked GCD files to the Garmin\RemoteSW\ folder on the Edge.
    4. Be sure to properly eject the Edge from the PC, otherwise the GCD files may become corrupted.
    5. Wake Vector up and connect the Edge to Vector.
    6. A few moments after connecting Vector and the Edge you should be prompted to update Vector SW. Follow the prompts to update your Vector SW.
      1. If the Edge unit does not prompt you to start the SW update, find the Vector set in your Sensor list and click on it.
      2. Select Sensor Details.
      3. Select Software Update.

1. After the SW update process is complete, you will need to set the installation angles and crank length and calibrate Vector.

Files for the Edge 1000 and Edge 520: Edge.zip

Files and instructions for Forerunner 920XT and Fenix 3 Users:

1. Plug your Forerunner into your PC and wait for it to go into mass storage mode. It will appear as a new disk drive and you should see the underlying file structure of the Forerunner in an Explorer (Win) or Finder (Mac) window.
    2. Download the relevant Vector FW files (GCD) from this forum posting to an easy to find location on your PC.
    3. Move all the unpacked GCD files to Garmin\REMOTESW\ folder on the Forerunner.
    4. Be sure to properly eject the Forerunner from the PC, otherwise the GCD files may become corrupted.
    5. Wake up the Vector system and connect the Forerunner to Vector.
    6. A few moments after connecting Vector and the Forerunner you should be prompted to update Vector SW. Follow the prompts to update your Vector SW.
      1. If the Forerunner unit does not prompt you to start the SW update, find the Vector set in your Sensor list and click on it.
      2. Select Sensor Details.
      3. Select Software Update.

1. After the SW update process is complete, you will need to set install angles and crank length and calibrate again.

Files for the FR920XT and Fenix 3: Fenix-FR.zip

Thank you,
    Vector-Info

No errors for me

Although I haven't had any problems with the released FW, I did the update anyway on my just upgraded Vector 2.

Just a quick 5 minutes on my Kickr trainer just to make sure everything works. Tomorrow I will give it a thorough workout.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/972339796

Comment

Fixes the cadence drops, but introduces power spikes

I can confirm that this fixes the cadence drops from 3.81.

However, I'm now seeing significant random power spikes. I'm riding a steady effort in both rides - it's about as flat of a path as you're going to get. While looking at instantaneous power, I see changes in power of +70W at times. That's clearly not right.

Here's the ride that I did using 3.84: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/972288514
      Here's a ride that I did using 3.5: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/962279040

Do you guys need the original .fit files as well?

Comment

Originally posted by JFLAM42 View Post
        I can confirm that this fixes the cadence drops from 3.81.

However, I'm now seeing significant random power spikes. I'm riding a steady effort in both rides - it's about as flat of a path as you're going to get. While looking at instantaneous power, I see changes in power of +70W at times. That's clearly not right.

Here's the ride that I did using 3.84: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/972288514
        Here's a ride that I did using 3.5: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/962279040

Do you guys need the original .fit files as well?
        From the original post:
        Please let us know if you encounter any issues or problems with this Beta release. If possible, please provide us with the activity FIT file.

Comment

Spurious cadence values in 3.84

Here are two files using 3.84 firmware. It appears that spurious cadence values are responsible for the power spikes. For example, this morning I was pedaling ~81 and it shot up to 95 and then back to 81. You'll see that in the raw data.

Thanks,
          -John
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is my Vector and Power2Max FIT file from an indoor ride with Tacx Neo.

There is a few random high (and a few small hole in power chart, not droput, only much lower watts than expected) power spikes with the new beta as JFLAM42 mentioned before:
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. I'm not seeing any power spikes. No dropouts. Near perfect 50/50 balance.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/972625346 (Vector)
              https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/972626453 (Kickr)

Almost exactly as I would expect. Average 6 watts higher than the Kickr (hub base power). Cadence is a perfect match vs the cadence sensor I use with the Kickr. Only speed is different due to dropouts from the Kickr to my 520 that I don't see with my 920 and the Kickr. That's not a Vector issue though.

Comment

Meanwhile i checked the crank status value with IPSensor, and it's 61 (should be 125-126), and its weird. The angle setup was flawless, on trainer with ultrasmooth acceleration till 90rpm (30sec apprx from 0). I will reset the angles tomorrow and will check it again.

Comment

Originally posted by LUKO79 View Post
                  Meanwhile i checked the crank status value with IPSensor, and it's 61 (should be 125-126), and its weird. The angle setup was flawless, on trainer with ultrasmooth acceleration till 90rpm (30sec apprx from 0). I will reset the angles tomorrow and will check it again.
                  That's an artifact of the beta and not an actual installation angle issue... Vector will assert the "calibration required" bit if it wants the Edge to display the install angle wizard, but otherwise it makes no difference whether it's indicating "invalid" or "no calibration required".

Comment

update completed but after calibration completed the 520 displayed torque of 4.78 and the display is frozen and, whilst the buttons make a tone they do not do anything else completed a device reset which, thankfully, worked - will try the vectors after work
                    Last edited by FYLBIKE; 12-03-2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Error 400

t_smit

Will this FW resolve the above issue?

I have has the issue that following stopping the pedals simply gave no credible data combined with either Error 400 or Error 200 on a combination of left and right pedals.

Also you couldn't set the angles.

At the moment I am waiting for Garmin UK to decide what they are doing as I had a Mk1 pod shear last week when re-building the bike, it did get trapped against the crank just sheared when the pedal spindle came into contact with the pod holder.

Comment

Installation 3.84 EDGE1000 success without problems

Comment

Originally posted by Alex-Lawson View Post
                          t_smit

Will this FW resolve the above issue?

I have has the issue that following stopping the pedals simply gave no credible data combined with either Error 400 or Error 200 on a combination of left and right pedals.

Also you couldn't set the angles.
                          The 3.84 beta firmware resolves the known communications issues as well as other system startup issues that result in lack of cadence and power reporting as well as the inability to calibrate zero offset or installation angles.

Comment

Thanks for the response, but I am a bit thick. What does the error 200 and 400 refer to? That would enable me to understand if you have answered the question.

Garmin UK said the Vector 2 upgrade kit uses different software, is that the case? Or should I upgrade to 3.84 when I get new pods.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex-Lawson View Post
                              Thanks for the response, but I am a bit thick. What does the error 200 and 400 refer to? That would enable me to understand if you have answered the question.

Garmin UK said the Vector 2 upgrade kit uses different software, is that the case? Or should I upgrade to 3.84 when I get new pods.

Thanks.
                              Fair enough. On initial startup, Vector computes a set of installation angles that describe the angle of the spindles relative to the crank arms. This happens automatically when you disconnect and reconnect the spindles, take out and replace the battery, or when you explicitly clear the angles through a head unit command. These angle values then get used in the power and cadence calculations. After it's done that, it will continue to compute the angles as a self-check; if Vector sees that the angles have changed more than about five degrees, it will throw an error 200.

The error 400 is posted when the right pedal is not receiving data from the left, for any reason. Most of the time (when the system is otherwise working correctly) the situation will resolve itself. One way that you can inadvertently cause this to happen, is to wake up the right pedal by spinning the cranks exactly one or two full revolutions, in such a way that the left doesn't recognize that it's moved. This can happen because when the system is asleep the crank position is only checked about every two seconds. Thus one side might sample before and after the motion, and not wake up.

The two system issues that were resolved with the changes from 3.50 to 3.84, address problems related to both of the error reports occurring. One was a radio issue that would cause a pedal to disable the incorrect radio channel and thereby cut itself off from the head unit or from other pedal (giving rise to the 400 errors); the other was an accelerometer setup issue that would then corrupt accelerometer data and prevent cadence detection and installation angle setting, which would prevent anyone from fixing a 200 error and further lead to 400 errors since the system would go to sleep after not detecting cadence for some time.

All Vector 2 systems up to about a month ago (including upgrade kits) would have shipped with the 3.50 firmware. There is no difference between the firmware on a Vector 1 system and on a Vector 2 system. It should be noted that ALL Vector firmware releases up to and including 3.50 were at risk to the two system issues; however, the probability of being affected by both issues was increased with 3.50, and the 3.73 release only fixed one of them.

A full release of Vector firmware is going to occur once the requisite testing has been completed; in the meantime, it's recommended to upgrade to the 3.84 beta firmware especially if you've experienced power or cadence message dropouts from one or both pedals.

Comment

Working...
                              X