No announcement yet.

Vector 3.50 Firmware Status Update

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector 3.50 Firmware Status Update

Thank you for your patience with the performance problems you may have been experiencing with the 3.50 firmware on Vector. We have been working to isolate this issue for as long as you have been posting it on the forum. It has been a difficult and elusive issue, and we were hoping to deliver a fix a long time ago, but we finally think we have a handle on it. While we are not able to offer you a fix today, we will keep you up to date with significant developments as they occur.

Today we identified what we think is the root cause of many of the communication problems you may be encountering. This single cause explains many of the symptoms reported and discussed by you in the forum. We now know:

• it’s a firmware problem, not a hardware problem. A firmware upgrade will fix the problem and there will be no permanent effect from having operated the system with FW 3.50, once an upgrade has been applied.
    • The problem is a race condition; this means that some operations can persistently cause the problem for some users while many users will rarely or never see a problem.
    • The problem affects Vector 1, Vector 1S, Vector 2, and Vector 2S systems.
    • The problem manifests itself as loss of communication to either the left pedal or to the entire system. This may occur as a result of starting the system from rest, or from coasting more than 10 seconds and then resuming pedaling.
    • This problem affects all Vector firmware versions, but the 3.50 firmware exacerbates the situation such that it causes persistent loss of the communication channels.

Now that we have identified the root cause, we are working on a fix, which we will release as a public beta after we have made the fix and regression tested the firmware. This will allow those of you that are experiencing the problem to help us ensure that we have fully corrected the problem. We appreciate your help. Please note that applying the public beta will require the use of an Edge 1000.

Understanding the problem allows us to offer the following mitigation steps until we are able to provide a firmware update. These steps will reduce (not eliminate) the chance of the problem happening.

• Connect your Edge to Garmin Express and ensure your Edge unit has the latest firmware

• If possible, enable the Vector system first by spinning the pedals and waiting a few seconds (on Vector 2, wait until the LEDs blink once on each side) and then enable your head unit. We appreciate that this is not always practical.

These mitigation steps are temporary and once we are able to release the planned firmware update, it will not be necessary to apply these steps.

Again, the Vector engineering team appreciates your continued patience while we implement a comprehensive solution.

Sincerely,
    The Vector team.

Originally posted by Vector-Info View Post
    Thank you for your patience with the performance problems you may have been experiencing with the 3.50 firmware on Vector. We have been working to isolate this issue for as long as you have been posting it on the forum. It has been a difficult and elusive issue, and we were hoping to deliver a fix a long time ago, but we finally think we have a handle on it. While we are not able to offer you a fix today, we will keep you up to date with significant developments as they occur.

Today we identified what we think is the root cause of many of the communication problems you may be encountering. This single cause explains many of the symptoms reported and discussed by you in the forum. We now know:

• it’s a firmware problem, not a hardware problem. A firmware upgrade will fix the problem and there will be no permanent effect from having operated the system with FW 3.50, once an upgrade has been applied.
    • The problem is a race condition; this means that some operations can persistently cause the problem for some users while many users will rarely or never see a problem.
    • The problem affects Vector 1, Vector 1S, Vector 2, and Vector 2S systems.
    • The problem manifests itself as loss of communication to either the left pedal or to the entire system. This may occur as a result of starting the system from rest, or from coasting more than 10 seconds and then resuming pedaling.
    • This problem affects all Vector firmware versions, but the 3.50 firmware exacerbates the situation such that it causes persistent loss of the communication channels.

Now that we have identified the root cause, we are working on a fix, which we will release as a public beta after we have made the fix and regression tested the firmware. This will allow those of you that are experiencing the problem to help us ensure that we have fully corrected the problem. We appreciate your help. Please note that applying the public beta will require the use of an Edge 1000.

Understanding the problem allows us to offer the following mitigation steps until we are able to provide a firmware update. These steps will reduce (not eliminate) the chance of the problem happening.

• Connect your Edge to Garmin Express and ensure your Edge unit has the latest firmware

• If possible, enable the Vector system first by spinning the pedals and waiting a few seconds (on Vector 2, wait until the LEDs blink once on each side) and then enable your head unit. We appreciate that this is not always practical.

These mitigation steps are temporary and once we are able to release the planned firmware update, it will not be necessary to apply these steps.

Again, the Vector engineering team appreciates your continued patience while we implement a comprehensive solution.

Sincerely,
    The Vector team.
    Thanks for acknowledging this and communicating to us. We all hope for a timely resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector-Info View Post
      [*]This problem affects all Vector firmware versions,
      Does this mean it's also the root cause of the dropouts on earlier firmware versions as well? Or are those still due to radio issues (and possible interference)?

Comment

will this also fix the bluetooth connection problems? ie, disable bluetooth on phone then enable it before the 510 will connect

Comment

I encounter the problems describe above on almost every ride. Left pedal dropout or right pedal dropout. But I also encounter the following issues:

1) Set Installation Angles - On almost every ride, either when starting or mid-ride, I am asked to Set Installation Angles again and again. I have plenty of FIT files should you need a sample to analyze.

2) I stopped pedaling on a downhill for 10-20 seconds and when I start pushing again, the pedals don't wake up for up to a few minutes. This is similar to stopping for a food break. The pedals can take a long time to wake up. I would assume this is the race condition popping up ?

Thank you for finally acknowledging that there is a problem with the pedals. Many of us are on the verge of switching to other products.

Comment

Interesting solution.
            I never experienced the dropout or loss of communication problem on my Edge 1000 with Vector 1 pedals.
            I always "wake up" my sensors (speed, cadence, power) before connecting the Edge 1000, a habit derived from having to ride daily with the buggy Tacx Trainer Software 4 (TTS4) in the winter season. It is the only way to ensure the TTS4 software connects to the sensors without a hiccup.
            So there is a fix and it is the same one as for another buggy package from a different provider!

Comment

Originally posted by pjg61 View Post
              1) Set Installation Angles - On almost every ride, either when starting or mid-ride, I am asked to Set Installation Angles again and again. I have plenty of FIT files should you need a sample to analyze.
              Besides communications loss, there are certain types of collateral effects that can conceivably be caused by the identified bug. Loss of installation angles is one of those; you should expect it to be fixed when the upgrade is released.

Originally posted by pjg61 View Post
              2) I stopped pedaling on a downhill for 10-20 seconds and when I start pushing again, the pedals don't wake up for up to a few minutes. This is similar to stopping for a food break. The pedals can take a long time to wake up. I would assume this is the race condition popping up ?
              Correct. These are different symptoms related to the same root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by FYLBIKE View Post
                will this also fix the bluetooth connection problems? ie, disable bluetooth on phone then enable it before the 510 will connect
                This fix addresses problems originating on the Vector system; it's unlikely to directly affect the 510's Bluetooth performance unless problems there can be traced to the 510 searching for a Vector system whose radio has been disabled.

Comment

thought as much, just seems odd to have happened around the same time as the 3.5 update

Comment

Originally posted by t_smit View Post
                    Besides communications loss, there are certain types of collateral effects that can conceivably be caused by the identified bug. Loss of installation angles is one of those; you should expect it to be fixed when the upgrade is released.
                    t_smit, will this fix the issues I've been having with dropouts as well? (Please refer to my fit files that I sent you)

Comment

Originally posted by BikeGP1 View Post
                      t_smit, will this fix the issues I've been having with dropouts as well? (Please refer to my fit files that I sent you)
                      One of the characteristic effects of the problem is that it will usually take out the head unit or pedal to pedal channel for an extended period of time, which was not really evident in any of your files that I looked at. A second thing is that interrupted pedaling exacerbates the problem, so your indoor sessions would be less likely to be affected by the bug. One of your indoor sessions suffered from some heavy interference (but not complete loss of traffic) for only two shorter periods through your session; this would be more easily explained by some other appliance or communication device operating in the 2.4 GHz band, such as a microwave oven or a nearby WiFi device.

Having said all that - we are still realizing the various ways in which this problem can manifest itself either due to specific user actions or due to more random environmental and system interactions, and I would still expect that applying the upcoming firmware update will remove a layer of inconsistency from your data records.

Comment

Originally posted by t_smit View Post
                        One of the characteristic effects of the problem is that it will usually take out the head unit or pedal to pedal channel for an extended period of time, which was not really evident in any of your files that I looked at.
                        Are you sure? There were some long, extended periods where it shows 0 watts and 0 cadence. Doesn't that mean it's got no communication from the pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by BikeGP1 View Post
                          Are you sure? There were some long, extended periods where it shows 0 watts and 0 cadence. Doesn't that mean it's got no communication from the pedals?
                          Depends on what you mean by "extended". The typical symptom resulting from hitting the race condition is that you'd lose either the left side, or both sides, until you let the system go to sleep (or pull the batteries in frustration). I would have to go back and look at your files in detail but from the Garmin Connect display it seemed like you didn't have more than about 10-15 seconds of outage (if that) at any one point. That still means you had no communication (I agree with you completely there), but the fact that the system recovered without explicit intervention on your part makes me think that it's probably not a result of hitting the race condition bug.

Comment

Once garmin (hopefully) resolve the issue that has rendered our expensive power meters useless, can someone tell me how I stop my garmin 1000 head unit from doing automatic firmware updates?

Going forward I'm never going to update these things, but the head unit seems to do it automatically.

Comment

I'm pleased that Garmin is acknowledging that they have a firmware problem. My question is if it's a firmware problem, why is Garmin support sending me a replacement unit? I suspect that the same issue will occur with the replacement if it is running firmware 3.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X