No announcement yet.

Firmware won't update on my android app

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware won't update on my android app

Latest firmware won't update on my vector 3s, using either android app (latest version, 4.15, according to Google play) or my edge 520, which can't get beyond search for updates screen.

??????Tried multiple times on my phone with connection repeatedly lost after 10 seconds or so. Pedals are blinking green and right and clearly still on.
    Can anyone help or do I need to contact Garmin chat support tomorrow ?

Thanks
    Josh

j_dickson - If you sync your Edge to your computer and Garmin Express, the update will be loaded to the Edge 520. Then once the two connect, the update will be transferred to the Vector 3 Pedals. The LED lights on the pedals will alternate Red and Green during the software update.

Comment

Great - worked perfectly, thanks for the quick help.
      For future reference, is the Garmin Connect Mobile app useless for things like this?

Comment

Connect on my computer says that my Vectors are up to date as far as Firmware is concerned ... my firmware is 3.5 NOT 3.6 ... still I'll try the trick

Comment

Originally posted by j_dickson View Post
          Great - worked perfectly, thanks for the quick help.
          For future reference, is the Garmin Connect Mobile app useless for things like this?
          No, not useless. But you must register the pedals independently with each phone you want to use. If you register the pedals on any other devices it will still report it in "the cloud" and then show it in your "inventory" any time you log in to the Garmin cloud services. If you want to use your device to communicated through Bluetooth you must register it independently with that device so that you can make the Bluetooth connection with the correct device (MAC). It's a layer of security so that others can't easily "crack" your pedal's firmware.

In some respects the Mobile app is better because you have a little more control and data during the process. OTOH, I think it should be redesigned as a professional-class tool to give more options and more data as you operate it. I doubt the pro teams don't get developer tools when they get the pedals.

I have a Forerunner 935 and an Edge 520 along with at least 3 BT phones that I've used to connect to the pedals through BT and the Mobile app. I'm not going to say any one is better than the other but it is easier to use the Mobile app to register the crank arm serial numbers. And IIRC I think the Mobile app can then feed those serial numbers to your head units, or at least to the Forerunner 935 and Fenix 5, because I only ever entered the numbers on the phones and once on the Edge 520, but never on the Forerunner 935.

Comment

Working...
          X