No announcement yet.

Edge only calculates route until halfway

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge only calculates route until halfway

I made a route in BaseCamp and sent it to the Edge 820. On the Edge, I loaded the route and viewed it (Fig. 1). For some reason, there is a blue pin about halfway the route. What does it mean? When I let the Edge calculate the route, it seems it only calculates the route until this blue pin, see Fig. 2. It's more clearly visible when I zoom in (Fig. 3). I tried both by sending the route from BaseCamp, and by creating the same route in Strava and loading it with the Strava Connect IQ app. Both methods result in the same issue of the route being calculated only to this blue pin halfway.

Does anyone know what is going on here, and how to solve this issue?

Fig. 1: Before calculating the route on Edge, the map shows a blue pin on the route

Fig. 2: After the route has been calculated on the Edge, the rout is only calculated until the blue pin

Fig. 3: Zoomed in version near the blue pin.

Suspect you've hit the limit on points in a route, how many do you have?
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Hi, thanks for the question. When I double-click the route in BC (the one I made in BC), I see 15 points. When I export the route made in Strava as .gpx, and open in BC (it opens as a track now), it shows 501 index points. Is this what you meant (is this the correct way to find the number of points)? Only 15 points should not be too much, would it?

Comment

Well 15 points in a route is fine, but you then talk about one with 501 so I'm confused slightly. Did you send a route or a track to your device? Was it sent using BC? How many points are in that route or track? Without clear information it's difficult to comment.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

First I created a route in BC (using the 'New route' function in BC, with Tour Cycling as the profile). This route consists of 15 points. Then, in BC, I sent this route to the Edge 820. This gives me the mentioned issue when calculating this route on the Edge. Next, I tried to make the same route using the Strava Route Builder website. Then from that website, I export that route to .gpx and open that .gpx in BC. This gives me a 501 point track.

Comment

Well that's strange, a route sent from BC with 15 points shouldn't cause a problem. Difficult to see from your screenshots but is it possible that the route is fully shown but that blue pin is the end of the route that has doubled back on itself for some reason?

Comment

No, it has not doubled back on itself I think. When I was riding that route, it really showed the finish was there (it was counting down the meters). Would it help if I share the route file with you?

Comment

Today I tried another Strava route, and observed the same issue. See the screenshots below where on the Edge, the route is only calculated until the blue pin about halfway the course. Also creating the route in BC (~20 points) and sending from there to the Edge results in the same issue.

Here the .gpx file from the example in the screenshots above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eE...ew?usp=sharing
                Last edited by LoekV; 06-19-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

That's a circular route. Try making a break in it and see what happens, although it seems to go all the way around but I'm not sure what the blue pin signifies as there is no point in the route at that location?
                  Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

There is a ~40 meter gap between start and end point. The example in the first post is a non-circular route, with the same issue. What do you mean by a making a break in the route? I've no idea what the blue pin means (it's not in the original route from Strava or BC or the linked .gpx file), other then it's the point where the calculation stops. You can see it on the first screenshot of my previous reply: the first part until the blue pin is thicker (you see the calculated route below the .gpx track).

Comment

Then I'm out of ideas. You could try a master reset of the device?

Comment

What version of the map are you using, is it the map supplied by Garmin?
                        - Alan

Comment

Hi, I'm using the Garmin Cycle Map Europe, latest version (2018.10).

Comment

I will try and take look at this at the weekend.
                            - Alan

Comment

Quick update: I tried a master reset (to factory defaults with keeping history), but unfortunately the very same issue is still present.

Comment

Working...
                              X