No announcement yet.

Upload mulitple tracks at once to GPS fails

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upload mulitple tracks at once to GPS fails

I can't upload more than one track at once. (Upload = from PC to Edge 800).

When I place more than one track in the "NewFiles" folder, only one track is converted into a fit file - all other tracks are lost.
    I tried to have one track per gpx-file and also tried to place several tracks into a single gpx-file (done with BaseCamp). Always the same result - only one tracks is actually loaded on the Edge 800.
    It works with mulitple wayponts in a singe gpx-file.
    It also works, when I upload the tracks one by one, this means I upload a track, disconnect the GPS, start the GPS, shut it down, connect it to the PC, upload the next track (gxp-file) etc., ..... (a bit annoying)
    Since uploading the tracks one by one works, it looks like the gpx files are OK.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks in advance
    Stefan

Yes, I had the same experience and also had to resort to transfering to the unit 1 at a time. When trying things out, the results were very unpredictable and erratic.

Comment

I have the same issue and I also have to upload one track/course at a time. Not very user friendly!

@garmin: there is nothing about this limitation in your manuals. I would appreciate if you could confirm this limitation i.e. bug and advise on the best workaround. Secondly, what’s the plan to fix this bug in the next software release?

Thanks, Henrik

Comment

Same issue. And it really sucks.

Comment

Me too. This issue really sucks. Sometimes I have approximately 15 tracks I want to lay onto the Edge 800 for a specific place I'm heading to. I have tried individual .gpx files and one .gpx with all the tracks. Neither works. I have to copy one .gpx into the NewFiles folder, eject the device, boot the Edge 800, turn it off, re-attach to the computer, copy the next .gpx, etc. etc. by the time 15 are done I'm almost ready to the throw the device against the wall. Garmin please fix this or offer some other solution. Thank you.

Comment

@DSDUST:

I own an Edge 800 and suffered from the same limitation (only one track at a time in the NewFiles folder per boot). But with the last firmware update (from 2.x to 2.4) the error was removed.
            If you still use a firmware version older than 2.4 I suggest you to update to firmware version 2.4 in order to solve this problem.

Regards
            Mathias

Originally posted by DSDUST View Post
            Me too. This issue really sucks. Sometimes I have approximately 15 tracks I want to lay onto the Edge 800 for a specific place I'm heading to. I have tried individual .gpx files and one .gpx with all the tracks. Neither works. I have to copy one .gpx into the NewFiles folder, eject the device, boot the Edge 800, turn it off, re-attach to the computer, copy the next .gpx, etc. etc. by the time 15 are done I'm almost ready to the throw the device against the wall. Garmin please fix this or offer some other solution. Thank you.
            Mathias Krallmann
            visit http://fitfilerepairtool.info

Comment

Hi Mathias,

I did not realize this got replied to. Tried to change my forum settings so I'll get a notification in the future.

In response to what you wrote I did have version 2.4 of the firmware when I first saw the problem. It got released over a year ago now and I updated shortly after that. There is nothing in the release notes to suggest that was something Garmin intended to fix. There is a comment about making improvements to courses but it goes into no more detail than that.

The issue I observed was not always present. Sometimes I could get 3-5 gpx files to load without problem but if I tried a big number like 15 it simply did not want to accept that many tracks so I reverted to simply doing it one by one. It was quite a frustrating way to load navigation info onto the device.

Regards
              Dsdust

Originally posted by MATHIKRALLI View Post
              @DSDUST:

I own an Edge 800 and suffered from the same limitation (only one track at a time in the NewFiles folder per boot). But with the last firmware update (from 2.x to 2.4) the error was removed.
              If you still use a firmware version older than 2.4 I suggest you to update to firmware version 2.4 in order to solve this problem.

Regards
              Mathias

Comment

an old problem, still with Fw 2.4! The problem seems to be the handshaking between device and Basecamp/Mapsource. With other programms ist works.
                A shame for garmin, that there is no update for this essential function!

Comment

Just another bug in this appalling overpriced piece of equipment.

Comment

Hello, I'm a newbie who found my way to this thread because I'm experiencing same problem with BaseCamp and Edge 800, both of which I acquired this week with no prior non-automotive GPS experience. After reading your thread and seeing how you upload files one-by-one, I decided to give it yet another try. In doing so, I discovered that I could right-click on any ONE of the routes and select "send to device" from the top of the pop-up menu. By doing it one-by-one this way, I was successful in loading all six tracks to my GPS. When I was trying previously to send all six at once by using the "send list to device" icon at the top of BaseCamp sometimes it would send four of the six, sometimes three, and it seemed to randomly select which files got sent, and never the same ones. Interestingly, BaseCamp would think it had sent all six, because all six routes would display from the device in BaseCamp, but my Mac's Finder (like Windows Explorer) would only show three or four files in the GPS's Courses folder, and after disconnecting the GPS from my computer, only those three or four files would be on the GPS.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I can't seem to get on with Basecamp. Intuitive it is not.
                      I create my courses on ridewithgps.com. I then export to desktop and drag them into 'new files' in the 'garmin' folder on either the SD card or the unit. Prefer the SD card. Then boot up the 800 and they are there in courses. I have just dragged 4 courses into new files in one go and it all worked fine.

Comment

Thanks DLSMITH6906@GMAIL.COM for the info. Have you consistently got BaseCamp to work this way? Maybe it was a fluke that all got done once? I don't know. My problem isn't with BaseCamp. It is when I drag and drop files .gpx, .tcx, etc. from my computer into the NewFiles on the Edge 800. After doing this, disconnecting, and booting the device not all files are processed into .fit files in the Courses directory of the Edge 800. It is random like the experience you were having with BaseCamp. If somehow BaseCamp and the Edge 800 are processing to .fit during or after the transfer then maybe this is a workaround. If it is simply copying files to the NewFiles folder and then processing happens when you boot the device I see no difference with that and dragging/dropping into a folder.

Originally posted by DLSMITH6906@GMAIL.COM View Post
                        Hello, I'm a newbie who found my way to this thread because I'm experiencing same problem with BaseCamp and Edge 800, both of which I acquired this week with no prior non-automotive GPS experience. After reading your thread and seeing how you upload files one-by-one, I decided to give it yet another try. In doing so, I discovered that I could right-click on any ONE of the routes and select "send to device" from the top of the pop-up menu. By doing it one-by-one this way, I was successful in loading all six tracks to my GPS. When I was trying previously to send all six at once by using the "send list to device" icon at the top of BaseCamp sometimes it would send four of the six, sometimes three, and it seemed to randomly select which files got sent, and never the same ones. Interestingly, BaseCamp would think it had sent all six, because all six routes would display from the device in BaseCamp, but my Mac's Finder (like Windows Explorer) would only show three or four files in the GPS's Courses folder, and after disconnecting the GPS from my computer, only those three or four files would be on the GPS.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Loading Routes and Tracks into Garmin 800

After spending 7 hours trying to get 13 routes into my 800 for a trip abroad I gave up. Somebody please, please come up with a competing product to Garmin!

Comment

Originally posted by PTUTT View Post
                            After spending 7 hours trying to get 13 routes into my 800 for a trip abroad I gave up. Somebody please, please come up with a competing product to Garmin!
                            Nothing wrong with the Garmin. First create your courses in whatever program you prefer, I like ridewithgps.com, and save them to a folder on your computer as either gpx track or tcx files. When you have done them all open the 800 in data mode. open the Garmin folder, then the new files one. Copy all the courses into this. You can use the folder on either the unit or the SD card. There is a new files on them both. Disconnect the 800 from the computer using the safely disconnect feature. Switch the 800 on and it will convert and transfer the courses to the courses folder on the menu page.

Comment

Originally posted by NU52NTJ View Post
                              Nothing wrong with the Garmin. First create your courses in whatever program you prefer, I like ridewithgps.com, and save them to a folder on your computer as either gpx track or tcx files. When you have done them all open the 800 in data mode. open the Garmin folder, then the new files one. Copy all the courses into this. You can use the folder on either the unit or the SD card. There is a new files on them both. Disconnect the 800 from the computer using the safely disconnect feature. Switch the 800 on and it will convert and transfer the courses to the courses folder on the menu page.
                              Works a treat this way
                              I've found that basecamp/GC can be "flakey" when sending to device even if you're only sending a single route/course/track !!

Comment

Working...
                              X