No announcement yet.

Edge 800 mis-routing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge 800 mis-routing

I've been using an Edge 705 every since it came out and have been using a 500 for the last year, so I've got a pretty solid history and understanding of the Edge series. I just purchased an 800 and have updated the firmware to 2.10. I understand a lot of people have had problems with the device re-routing during rides, and that the v2.10 firmware has added the option to turn re-routing off, but I'm having a BIG issue (big to me) with the device that may appear to be similar to that issue, but isn't. I've only seen one mention of the issue in another post, but the replies all addressed it as if it was the in ride re-routing issue.

My problem is that when I lay-out a .gpx course (I use MapMyRide, but have used other sites in the past), stick it into the NewFiles folder on the 800, then select to navigate it (courses/go) the 800 is giving me generated routes to navigate that are sometimes wildly different than my laid-out .gpx route.

I think the 800 converts the .gpx file I've placed in the Garmin/NewFiles folder to .fit files and then writes them to Garmin/Courses", but the issue doesn't appear to be in the conversion, since the trace of the route is showing up correctly on the screen...but the generated navigational route is off. This has long been an issue on the 705, but that unit usually just cuts off and straightened some corners, which is caused by the .gpx trace deviating from the unit's database of roads (it also occurs on long, continuous straight sections of route). I've learned how to deal with that minor issue on the 705, but on the 800 it's much, much more dramatic, as once the generated route deviates from the .gpx trace it appears to take on a life of its own, completely disregarding my intended route.

Like the other post mentioned this is appearing to occur when I've mapped my route gets over a bike path, which I guess aren't on the City Navigator North America NT microSD card. I can't imagine how the unit handles an off-road route.

I've try fiddling with all the settings..."Recalculate", "Lock on Road", "Guidance Method", "Calculate routes for" -- all with no luck. I use my 705 (and intend to use the 800) nearly 100% to navigate me over courses that I've laid-out beforehand on the computer so this is a deal-breaker for me. I'm hoping to find a solution, and if I can't the 800's going back to the shop!

Attached is a screen shot of what I'm talking about. This is a section of a route, viewed right after route creation. The magenta line with black border is the intended .gpx route I uploaded to the 800 and the plain magenta line is the 800's calculated route based on that .gpx/.fit file. The section of the route in the shot is about 10 miles long, so this isn't a case of an insignificant quarter mile re-route -- it's basically a wholesale divergence from my intended route.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by VELOLION; 02-05-2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: Shorten & simplify

I have had better luck downloading courses (crs or tcx files). Then I turn off recalculation. This way you get warnings when you are off course but the unit will not redo your entire ride.
    AKA luv2climb.

Comment

Thanks, but as per my post my issue is not with the unit re-routing me mid-ride, the issue is with the initial routing being way off. Sorry, if I didn't make that clearer.

Comment

You were clear I was just a little to brief on my response. The reason a GPX file does this (watered down version) is because it only has the points that you clicked on when you created the route. The 800 is allowed to use it's own logic to connect the points. Sometimes putting more points in the route solves this but not always.

As I mentioned above I have just found it easier to use a course. The course file locks in the EXACT path as you saw on the screen when you planned the ride.

Make more sense?
        Last edited by CMENDERS; 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM.
        AKA luv2climb.

Comment

mmmm, interesting advise. I usually make a course (more quick than putting over 1000 points on the route) After I convert this to a .gps track, so I can change the course point by point, if necessary. I also found that the Edge makes some strange deviations, but small ones, also when the track was loaded with trackpoints. And I am sure the map was routable at those points. As soon as I am home from my long weekend in Italy I will try the COURSE method and will come back with the result.

Comment

Ok, I'll have to look into that a little more. I did just upload the same route as both a .tcx and a .crs file, and I'm happy to say that it appears from a quick glance they both worked correctly (there was also no waiting around for the route to calculate, which is nice!) Don't have time to dig into it any deeper right now, but I'll check it out a little later, do a ride with it, etc. and hopefully it'll all work great.

I do have a library of 200+ .gpx routes that I've been using with my 705 for years. Thankfully it's a very quick and painless procedure to export them as .tcx and/or .crs files.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks,
            Brian

Comment

I had the same problem and I found that the following helps:

When selecting a stored route the first screen shows an overview of the route on a map. Below are several buttons. Go to settings (the spanner) and turn "Turn Guidance" OFF. This will keep the unit from calculating a new route and will instead just show the route you generated in advance.

Comment

I don't yet have an 800 (lurking this forum and waiting for more issues to get resolved before making the leap) but perhaps the following is relevant. On the 705, if I download the ride as a GPX Route file, I get navigation over roads that are sometimes different from what I specified, even after specifically clicking on the desired roads when I set up the ride. If I download it as a GPX Track file, it doesn't navigate me over different roads, but will on occasion take a direct shortcut between two arbitrary points on the track on longer more complicated rides.

TCX courses don't seem to have these problems, but don't provide the great navigation cues that GPX does. TCX courses laid out in BRT can provide cues, but not as good as the 705 generates with GPX files. That's important to me because many of the rides I layout around here have more roads than miles and having solid nav cues allows me to concentrate on riding instead of navigating.

I'm aware the 800 converts these to FIT files but have no idea what goes on when that happens.
                Last edited by looigi; 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE.JAXX View Post
                  I had the same problem and I found that the following helps:

When selecting a stored route the first screen shows an overview of the route on a map. Below are several buttons. Go to settings (the spanner) and turn "Turn Guidance" OFF. This will keep the unit from calculating a new route and will instead just show the route you generated in advance.
                  That is a possibility. But what if I want guidance? The Edge should not calculate a route different from the loaded, but give just the right directions, abt. 100 meters before and abt. 20 meters before the corners. And it does, only at some points it makes its own route. I use the guidance in such way that at the moment the Edge has something else in mind, I simply follow the loaded route and keep myself on the track. But I really would like Garmin to review the guidence method.

Comment

I have similar problem.

I was edge 705 user for 3 years.
                    On Edge 705 I coud easily navigate my gpx courses. The problem (or missing funcionality) with Edge 800 is, that it does not generate navigation route based on .gpx course. When I go to "courses", select a course, press "GO" (gudiance is ON), I get a massage "Turn by turn Unavailable".
                    In case, I have routable map enabled, I get no warning massage, but navigation route is based on paths in routable map and that's not what I want. (system, routing, Guidance Method is set to Off Road).

It loks like navigation is posible only with routable maps, or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advice or experience

Comment

We probably all got different preferences and wishes for navigation...I've settled with the less "high tech" solution both on my 705 and the 800.

Thats is to just have the desired tracks shown on the map, and no navigation as such ....( for other reasons I have turned off audible alerts,so I'll have to look at the screen from time to time anyway) . This is "rock solid" and as simple as it can be.....And I'm home again

Comment

Originally posted by VELOLION View Post
                        I've been using an Edge 705 every since it came out and have been using a 500 for the last year, so I've got a pretty solid history and understanding of the Edge series. I just purchased an 800 and have updated the firmware to 2.10. I understand a lot of people have had problems with the device re-routing during rides, and that the v2.10 firmware has added the option to turn re-routing off, but I'm having a BIG issue (big to me) with the device that may appear to be similar to that issue, but isn't. I've only seen one mention of the issue in another post, but the replies all addressed it as if it was the in ride re-routing issue.

My problem is that when I lay-out a .gpx course (I use MapMyRide, but have used other sites in the past), stick it into the NewFiles folder on the 800, then select to navigate it (courses/go) the 800 is giving me generated routes to navigate that are sometimes wildly different than my laid-out .gpx route.

I think the 800 converts the .gpx file I've placed in the Garmin/NewFiles folder to .fit files and then writes them to Garmin/Courses", but the issue doesn't appear to be in the conversion, since the trace of the route is showing up correctly on the screen...but the generated navigational route is off. This has long been an issue on the 705, but that unit usually just cuts off and straightened some corners, which is caused by the .gpx trace deviating from the unit's database of roads (it also occurs on long, continuous straight sections of route). I've learned how to deal with that minor issue on the 705, but on the 800 it's much, much more dramatic, as once the generated route deviates from the .gpx trace it appears to take on a life of its own, completely disregarding my intended route.

Like the other post mentioned this is appearing to occur when I've mapped my route gets over a bike path, which I guess aren't on the City Navigator North America NT microSD card. I can't imagine how the unit handles an off-road route.

I've try fiddling with all the settings..."Recalculate", "Lock on Road", "Guidance Method", "Calculate routes for" -- all with no luck. I use my 705 (and intend to use the 800) nearly 100% to navigate me over courses that I've laid-out beforehand on the computer so this is a deal-breaker for me. I'm hoping to find a solution, and if I can't the 800's going back to the shop!

Attached is a screen shot of what I'm talking about. This is a section of a route, viewed right after route creation. The magenta line with black border is the intended .gpx route I uploaded to the 800 and the plain magenta line is the 800's calculated route based on that .gpx/.fit file. The section of the route in the shot is about 10 miles long, so this isn't a case of an insignificant quarter mile re-route -- it's basically a wholesale divergence from my intended route.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
                        I don't usually quote entire messages, but I'm experiencing precisely the same issue. I'm a loooong time Garmin Edge user since the first one came out (305) and am used to the 'Garmin Way'. But the 800 is different to my experiences with the 705. I often use cycle paths (no cars allowed) that are laid over old railway lines, I plan my routes in Mapsource and know where the cycle paths are relative to the map so when I plan a route to use them I hit Alt-Shift+p to go into preferences in Mapsource and turn off autorouting while I plot the cycle path leg of the route. The 705 would handle this perfectly, once calculated. When I am about to enter the cycle path (no road resembling it on the map in the 705), the unit would simply say 'go north, or west or whatever). On the 800, the device tries to construct an on road route which goes all over the place!

All I want is 705 like functionality - it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by DODGYDD View Post
                          All I want is 705 like functionality - it worked!
                          I agree.

If you set system -> Routing -> Guidance method Off Road
                          and under courses -> Guidance On
                          the device should act as Edge 705.

If you set courses -> map display -> Always Display On (no navigation)
                          the device acts as NGHPMC use it - rock solid and as simple. - I agree.

I usualy combine both methods, with 2 gps tracks.
                          First track is simple with only important waypoints, such as crossings and locations I must pass. I use it as navigation track.

Second track consist of more waypoints and I use it as NGHPMC sugested.

This way, you have the ability to

1. Constantly monitor direction off next important waypoint
                          2. You can monitor distance to Next, ETA at next and Time to next important waypoint
                          4. No unnecessary beeps and alerts
                          3. Whole route is visible on the map.
                          4. No need for routable maps (which usualy doesn't exists for special routes)

I am very disappointed (as I discovered), that this funcionality is missing on Edge 800. It helps me a lot on races, where quick and correct decisions are crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by MATEJPIS View Post
                            I agree.

If you set system -> Routing -> Guidance method Off Road
                            and under courses -> Guidance On
                            the device should act as Edge 705.

If I configure it this way, will I still get turn by turn directions like I would on the 705?

Comment

Originally posted by DODGYDD View Post
                              If I configure it this way, will I still get turn by turn directions like I would on the 705?
                              No, you would not. And that's the problem with edge 800.

I wish it should act as 705 (maybe on next firmware upgrade) .

Option Routing -> Guidance method Off Road is actualy pointless, unless you navigate to one particular point (where to -> locations).

I also don't understand the purpose of option Courses -> (select one) -> Wrench -> Map Display -> Course Points (on/off). It doesn't change anything?

Comment

Working...
                              X