No announcement yet.

Can't connect after upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't connect after upgrade

I can't seems to connect to PC or MAC after upgrade to upload my routes. It's charging, but it doesn't recognized as a device on MAC or Windows. Please, help!

TIA

Originally posted by AMBRIO64 View Post
    I can't seems to connect to PC or MAC after upgrade to upload my routes. It's charging, but it doesn't recognized as a device on MAC or Windows. Please, help!

TIA
    Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf

Page 53 may help. Looks at unit not being visible when connected

Comment

I've got exactly the same problem!

It was fine before the new update, but now when I plug it into my computer it goes straight into 'external power mode' which was one of the new features of the update.

I can't get it to go into actual storage mode, like it would normally would do when connecting to a computer so I can put maps/courses on it, or get training data off of it.

I've tried numerous combinations of resetting it and it's not making a difference.

They've completely broken the device!
      Did they even test the firmware upgrade? Shameful!

Comment

Do you use the supplied cable?
        Works for me. (Actually I'm not even using the supplied cable...)

Comment

I found that if the 800 is turned OFF before you plug it into the computer, it will connect fine with the computer. However, if you connect it to the computer while the Edge 800 is on, it will charge and you can access menus on the 800 etc. and it will not mount on your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by KEVINDEF View Post
            I found that if the 800 is turned OFF before you plug it into the computer, it will connect fine with the computer. However, if you connect it to the computer while the Edge 800 is on, it will charge and you can access menus on the 800 etc. and it will not mount on your computer.
            Good find.

Comment

Originally posted by STEVEPETTS372 View Post
              Ensure the unit is switched on and then connect it to the USB. It will remain 'operable' but will also charge. Didn't do this prior to 2.1
              I wasn't losing my mind then!

Comment

Previously it seemed the gpx/tcx to .fit conversion took place when you disconnected from the PC/MAC and the unit switched off. (New Files folder empties and moves course / workout to the required location).

Don't have my unit available to check but if you now connect with the unit on can you tranfer files? In this case if you disconnect it won't switch off so will the conversion take place?

Comment

Originally posted by STEVEPETTS372 View Post
                  And neither was I. This is being discussed in three different threads. I think it is Windows/drivers causing the problem. Go to this post to see the results of some testing I did: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...0428#post70428
                  Last edited by glawther; 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Like I said, I've tried numerous combinations of turning it on and off while connecting it to the computer, it just isn't going into mass storage mode.

This is also an upgrade from a 705, so I know what I'm doing with these Garmin products.

Originally posted by GLAWTHER View Post
                    And neither was I. This is being discussed in three different threads. I think it is Windows/drivers causing the problem. Go to this post to see the results of some testing I did: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...0428#post70428

I disagree.

I've tried it on 2 Macs, a Mac running Windows and a Windows PC... on none of them will it come up as a Mass Storage Device and the Edge go into 'PC mode'. Instead it just supplies the unit with power and when you disconnect it, it says: "External Power Lost".

This problem didn't exist before the firmware upgrade where they added the ability to use 'external power'. It looks plain as day to me that this function is overriding the ability to actually talk to the computer, as it's just seen USB as an external power supply.

They need to fix it quick, either remove it all together until they have a better solution, or add a menu option to select whether you want to use external power on or off.

Further to that... anyone know an e-mail address for reporting bugs/faults best to Garmin?
                    It's pretty obvious they don't read these forums.
                    Last edited by SATERIK; 01-01-2011, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SATERIK View Post

I disagree.
                      Actually, I beleive we are seeing the same behavior from the unit. If you will follow my link above and read what I found, you'll see that when I hooked it up to Win XP pc it behaves exactly as you describe. It appears to work differently in Win 7 and Win Vista. That's why I'm saying the pc OS and drivers may have a role in how it behaves with the new firmware.

Comment

Guess you didn't read the bit where I said I tried it on a number of different Operating Systems and machines.

Mac's for example don't require drivers, it's supposed to just see it as a mass storage device, as per before update. This is why it's quite clear that it's a change in the firmware that has caused this, because it's now seeing USB as nothing but an external power source, no different to plugging it into a wall.

Comment

I'm having the same issue. After fiddling around with it a few times, I got it to mount, but I find this software bug to very disturbing. Garmin really needs to re-engineer their QA process. (Do they even have on?)

The shipping version of the firmware made the device useless for navigation since turn by turn directions didn't work. Now the update makes it very difficult to sync the device.

We are talking about basic functionality here, not new stuff.

Comment

Hi

I had a similar problem on an iMac yesterday which also has VMware installed. I couldn't connect to the Edge 800 in either Windows (XP) or Mac.

INterestingly but after a few attempts I got the USB drivers installed in Windows mode and after that the Edge 800 went back to playing nicely, i.e., asking me if I wanted to connect to Mac or Windows and allowing me to access the folders.

Maybe something to try?

Andrew

Comment

I've encountered this same issue after upgrading to 2.1. My practice with my 305, then 705 and then 800 prior to the 2.1 upgrade has been to

- finish my ride
                              - turn the Edge off (but not necessarily reset it)
                              - connect to my Mac without turning the unit on
                              - Edge mounts (705 & 800 appear as external drives)

Following the Edge 800 2.1 fw upgrade, this process only resulted in the 800 turning on, loading maps & looking for the satellites with external power. I couldn't get it to mount.

Finally, I turned the 800 on while disconnected and pressed/held Lap/Reset to close out the most recent workout. Once I did that, turned it off and reconnected it to my Mac, it mounted properly, appearing as an external drive.

I don't know yet whether this is repeatable since I need to record another activity to test it, but at least initially it appears it is necessary to reset the 800 at the end of an activity and before attempting to mount it on (at least) a Mac under the 2.1 firmware. As someone else noted, there are no drivers required with connecting to a Mac like there apparently are for a PC.

Can others confirm whether this works in their configurations?

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X