No announcement yet.

Route vs. Track (Reply From Garmin)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route vs. Track (Reply From Garmin)

GPX (Gps exchange format): is an XML schema designed for use with gps devices. The files are a common file not just used with Garmin devices.

TCX ( Training Center Exchange file): Is a file that contains workout / history / course data. These files are Garmin files and are used both in Garmin Connect as well as the Training Center .

CRS (Course file): This file type contains course information and is no longer used by Garmin Applications. Some third party websites such as mapmyride.com still use this older file type.

Q&A with Garmin Tech Support:

1. Will the Garmin Edge 705 provide turn-by-turn navigation with a gpx? YES

2. Will the Garmin Edge 705 provide turn-by-turn navigation with a tcx? NO

3. Will the Garmin Edge 705 provide turn-by-turn navigation with a crs? NO

4. After uploading a gpx route to the Edge 705, will the device provide a "prompt" (warning) when it is time to make a turn onto a new road? YES

5. After uploading a crs/tcx route (course) to the Edge 705, will the device provide a "prompt" (warning) when it is time to make a turn onto a new road? NO

6. What's the difference between a route and course? Normally a course is something that is recorded while actually doing the ride, where a route is added to the device before you have actually ridden it.

7. What happens if/when I deviate from the route/course when using a gpx? YES, it should take you to the next closest point

8. What happens if/when I deviate from the route/course when using a tcx? it would show you on the map where you are in relation to the course and you would get a single message saying you were off course but it will not guide you back other than the compass heading

9. What happens if/when I deviate from the route/course when using a crs? it would show you on the map where you are in relation to the course and you would get a single message saying you were off course but it will not guide you back other than the compass heading

10. Will the Edge 705 automatically "skip" a waypoint if I have to take a detour around a predetermined route? (The trail I ride has a detour the and device always tries to send me back to a missed waypoint even when I get back on the route. Very annoying!) If it is a GPX file it should skip however if you are not on a city street using City Navigator this is where you would possibly have issues, the TCX and CRS will just show you on the map in relation to the course on the map

11. Will the Edge 705 point me in the right direction if I get lost on a course (tcx/crs)? You would get a compass and the map but not turn by turn direction like you would with the GPX

Hopefully this can clear some problems, but it is mostly about the diffrence between a course and a GPX route...Not GPX route vs. GPX track.....

And answer # 6 is like responding to "how to play the flute " like this : "move your fingers on the outside and blow".

I would say the usage is different,as a course is suitable to train with, whereas the the gpx route is for navigation.

Comment

I get turn by turn directions with TCX. It depends on how it it constructed.

I don't use GPX navigation anymore because there are problems with the maps. TCX follows the course created and doesn't re-navigate like GPX does.

Look at this thread on the CTC forum:
      http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36725
      and see my pictures of my screen and how the maps aren't followed with GPX. Note also that TCX is ok.

By using http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx you can set it for turn by turn with TCX and even set it for warnings at course points.

Comment

Originally posted by SMICKF View Post
        I get turn by turn directions with TCX. It depends on how it it constructed.

I don't use GPX navigation anymore because there are problems with the maps. TCX follows the course created and doesn't re-navigate like GPX does.

By using http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx you can set it for turn by turn with TCX and even set it for warnings at course points.
        Exactly.

Now if I could get my 705 to consistently show the next 4 course points on the coursepoint screen as I ride. Many times it just starts showing the finish even though there are more intermediate points.

I'm talking about the display you get when you toggle left on the main bike display.

Comment

Originally posted by SMICKF View Post
          .... and doesn't re-navigate like GPX does....
          Even with recalculation set to "off"

I guess everybody has their own "ways" with this, I prefer GPX-tracks just shown on the map as opposed to navigating....Fine for me both on the road and the MTB trail.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

I didn't mean RE navigate. I meant that when you import a GPX into the GPX folder, the 705 attempts to navigate rather than taking the import and showing it. Consequently, there are one or two errors in the mapping.

Please look at my thread on the CTC Forum and you'll see what I mean.
            http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36725

I reckon there must be even more errors on the maps.

TCX doesn't navigate. It takes exactly what you put into it rather than messing about with it.

Comment

I've followed the instructions to upload a GPX file, I can see the file in the GPX folder on the device when I connect it t my PC. When I go to 'saved rides' on the device (after disconnecting it) a dialog pops up 'No Rides in Memory'.
              Any ideas anyone?
              Should have said: Garmin Edge 705
              DD

Comment

There may be an issue with the GPX file. Where did it come from? Have you successfully downloaded other gpx track files to your 705 and navigated them? If not, you might try creating a ride on the RideWithGPS website, save the gpx track file and copy it to the GPX directory on the 705 and see if that works.

If there is a problem with the file but you can still open and view the ride on a website like RWGPS, you can manually recreate it in another window and save and download the recreated track file.

(From broad to narrow or general to specific is down (web to computer or computer to peripheral is down). The opposite direction is up (peripheral to computer or computer to web is up.)
                Last edited by looigi; 06-14-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LOOIGI View Post
                  There may be an issue with the GPX file. Where did it come from? Have you successfully downloaded other gpx track files to your 705 and navigated them? If not, you might try creating a ride on the RideWithGPS website, save the gpx track file and copy it to the GPX directory on the 705 and see if that works.

If there is a problem with the file but you can still open and view the ride on a website like RWGPS, you can manually recreate it in another window and save and download the recreated track file.

(From broad to narrow or general to specific is down (web to computer or computer to peripheral is down). The opposite direction is up (peripheral to computer or computer to web is up.)
                  Thanks for your response, still no luck though.
                  I uploaded the file (which I got from a sportive ride organiser) to RWGPS - I can see the course fine.
                  I then downloaded it from RWGPS as both a TCX and as a GPX, put the TCX in courses, and the GPX in the GPX folder. Still nothing in saved rides or training/courses, darn this is frustrating. TBH I've never been able to download a GPX file successfully, if I'm downloading a course from a wiggle sportive, I always go for the 'garmin GPS' file, nothing else seems to work. So I'm not sure what a garmin gps file is, it doesn't seem to be mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Hmmm. Putting the file into RWGPS and exporting it might not have cured the problem with the file. I create and download GPX track files (track is important) from RWGPS frequently and they work well for me. I have also used other sites with similar success.

Have you tried creating a ride on RWGPS and downloading the gpx track file to your 705? That's always worked for me. If you can create one and it works, then recreate the sportive manually by laying it out in RWGPS and try that.

I can send you a file that's worked for me to try.

Which maps do you have installed and what's their geo coverage of your maps.

Comment

Hi LOOIGI,

finally! What a palaver. What I finally did was import the TCX file from RWGPS into the Garmin training centre program, then I used the training centre 'send to device' feature, rather than copying the file directly to the folder. I can now see the file in training/courses, phew, life shouldn't be this hard....

I'm sure I could cut out a few steps but hey, it's working now and I've been fettling enough for one day. Just need to get out and ride.

Ta DD

Comment

Working...
                      X