Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDGE 705 firmware features request

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of the problem comes from the 705 trying to be all things. It's basically a cycling computer yet you can tell it your traveling by car, bike or walking. Since I don't have a nav unit for the car I use the 705 when going somewhere new. I simply select my destination and go. IOW use it just like a car nav. For that it works fine.

However, on a bike I only use courses since I've predetermined the roads to be taken by mimicking the posted ride. If I go off course, I just turn toward the purple line. I also have the advantage of being able to look at the upcoming elevation profile which I think is extremely useful.

I've never set a destination and just started riding, allowing the 705 to determine the roads to be taken as there are just to many busy roads around here. Does anyone?

IMO there are many pressing firmware issues (power drops, freezing screens, elevation errors, speed spikes) that limit the basic usability of the 705. Garmin needs to make the 705 a great cycling computer and not bother with some of the other functions. They make a hundred other units to fill other needs.
    Fernando

Comment

Hope that they'll solve with next update:

- speed spikes (also when used with the speed/cad sensor)
      - elevation errors
      - if "possible" battery charge percentage

and an IMPLEMENTATION of advanced calories computation.

Comment

consolidation

It's probably about time I read through this thread and updated the list!

I'll have to update the bug list, since our investigations on GPX files.

It will be just in time for Christmas

Comment

Average speed calculated with the actual riding/pedaling time instead of chrono time would be nice

Comment

Auto-pause? Won't that do what you want?

Comment

1. Power Average Zones (3s and 30s). Right now there's only real-time power zones which is just as jumpy as the real-time power.

2. Auto Scroll like the 405.

3. Wish it had a zone screen that showed operative zones with a progressive line for HR and Power.

Cheers

Comment

spikes and power device issues

For those of you having spikes, can you elaborate on the particular conditions? I'm not seeing it in my normal activity (smart recording, using HR and CAD sensors).

Same goes for those who use power devices, can someone put into concise words what the issues are? I think we need to separate the bugs from the wishlist, otherwise one will swamp the other and reduce the clarity of any message to Garmin.

Comment

Here's a link to power dropouts that happen on a regular basis. It happens on every ride that I record in one second mode and it happens in a pattern. See this link for a typical graph with power dropouts for 3 seconds, in this case every 2m12 seconds. Sometimes the time between drops is less, however there is always some kind of pattern. I think it has something to do with the unit writing to memory and not recording at that moment. If you look at the power data on the screen it drops to zero also even though you're hard on the power.
                  Fernando

Comment

a big wish for the next edge:
                    measuring of headwind/tailwind and outdoor temperature, like the ibike does, but just one unit anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RACERFERN View Post
                      Here's a link to power dropouts that happen on a regular basis. It happens on every ride that I record in one second mode and it happens in a pattern. See this link for a typical graph with power dropouts for 3 seconds, in this case every 2m12 seconds. Sometimes the time between drops is less, however there is always some kind of pattern. I think it has something to do with the unit writing to memory and not recording at that moment. If you look at the power data on the screen it drops to zero also even though you're hard on the power.
                      That's odd. I use 1-sec recording, 705 stem-mounted and a Quarq Cinqo power meter, and do not experience any sort of periodic power data drop pattern as you have described. My 705 also has the map card installed and firmware 2.9. I also use the speed sensor so don't rely on GPS coordinates for speed calculation while riding.

Maybe the problem has something to do with the what info, exactly, is in a data packet and how frequently the various Ant+ devices broadcast and receive? I read that unfortunately, the Quarq sends at 4 Hz with an updated packet (containing the average power since last crank revolution) sent every pedal revolution, even though the 705 only listens at 1 Hz. So if I were to pedal at 120 rpm, the 705 would miss half the updated data packets being sent by the Quarq. I don't know how other power meter manufacturers have implemented what is sent in a data packet and how often. I wish the 705 would poll at a higher rate (maybe user selectable) and then every second would calculate and store the average power based on all the stored packet info before clearing its buffer.

Also, regarding erratic HR numbers, I tested the Garmin against my Polar W.I.N.D. HRM for over a month, and the two would always display within 1 or 2 beats of each other. And the Garmin never experienced any spikes, so I'm not sure why others are claiming the 2.9 firmware upgrade suddenly caused their HR numbers to go crazy.

Comment

Virtual Partner - time difference

Originally posted by ISTEFANI View Post
                        I think it would be very useful for Virtual partner (which I used many times) to show an extra number, and this should be how much time am I behind or ahead my virtual partner.
                        I'd like to second this request, albeit that I think it would probably be more practical to make it a menu choice, rather than having an extra display.

Time ahead / behind the Virtual partner is *much* more meaningful than distance:

1) As the OP pointed out, gaps in distance will tend to close on climbs / open on descents. Time remains constant; only an increase in one rider's speed *in compartison to the other's* will result in the gap opening / closing. This is surely what's needed?

2) I'm interested, ultimately, in how much I'm going to beat the VP's time for a given ride by. This is especially the case if the unit is being used in a time trial. Giving the VP information a time gap alternative would suddenly mak the Edge a lot more attractive for use in time trials - big market in the UK - especially when combined with Garmin Connect courses.

3) At the end of a ride the VP is presently useless if there's a reasonable-size gap and I'm down on the VP performance, because of course once the VP has finished the distance simply steadily drops to zero. If it were based on time, this would not be the case.

I hope someone will give this due consideration - seems a no-brainer to me, but maybe there's a technical reason why it's difficult to do.

Comment

Maps

I would like to be able to use multiple .img files.

Comment

Originally posted by LUKESJR View Post
                            I would like to see one simple feature.

Heart rate as a percent max. I know you can just use the zone thing, but I got so accustomed to you using percent max. I say, get rid of zones and give us percent max.
                            I also would like to see percent max displayed.

As a workaround, I mentally convert the zone display to percentage. I multiply the zone by 10 and add 40.

This only applies if percentages for zones 1 thru 5 are set at default 50-60, 60-70, 70-80, 80-90, 90-100.

when I multiply the zone by 10 and add 40:

zone 1.0 equates to percentage 50
                            zone 2.0 equates to percentage 60
                            zone 2.5 equates to percentage 65.
                            zone 2.6 equates to percentage 66.
                            zone 3.0 equates to percentage 70.
                            zone 3.5 equates to percentage 75.
                            and so on.

After mentally doing the math during a couple of rides, my brain learned to make the association automatically, so for example, when I see zone 3.6, I know that it's 76 percent.

Granted, it would be easier to have the percentage displayed.

Comment

* Be able to set a virtual partner as riding at an average wattage instead of speed

So you'd do this:

1. Set the Virtual Partner's stats (height, weight, bike weight, tire size, riding on tops/drops)

2. Set the watts you want them to ride at

3. Set max declines at which they'd still be pedaling

This would make it so they'd slow down on inclines (staying at the same watts), and speed up on flats, declines, etc.

Yes, I know it won't take into account wind, but it's better than just a speed.

Comment

Originally posted by SIMONDAW View Post
                                Time ahead / behind the Virtual partner is *much* more meaningful than distance:
                                Let's get this in the next firmware, it's available on the 310XT and all the data is there on the Edge but you have to manually calculate it, the option is simply missing.

IIRC, it used to be that way with an older firmware and I've read posts of other users remembering the same thing.
                                Developer of the SportTracks Garmin Fitness plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X