705 edge Turns OFF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 705 edge Turns OFF?

My garmin edge 705 will just turn off in the middle of my ride. I will be going along on smooth roads and happen to look down. Its totally blank. Turn it back on and its still has data about the current ride minus the time it was off. has happens on 3 of the last four rides. Latest software was loaded and it still happend to me today. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Just guessing here. The unit might have a less than perfect circuit somewhere and a jar or vibration might be causing that circuit to open and shut off the unit. You might try rapping the back of the unit against the bars while it's on and see if it shuts off.

I also ride with the keyboard always locked (press and hold "menu" button). You might try that and see if the unit stays on because that mode disables the "off" button.
    Don Huston
    San Diego, CA.
    United States

Comment

Originally posted by DDCOOKSON View Post
      My garmin edge 705 will just turn off in the middle of my ride. I will be going along on smooth roads and happen to look down. Its totally blank. Turn it back on and its still has data about the current ride minus the time it was off. has happens on 3 of the last four rides. Latest software was loaded and it still happend to me today. Would appreciate any thoughts.
      In the past 6 months, I've had mine shut off on me on several rides. Each time (so far), it's occurred when I was running a Course and happened to press the Mode button just as the unit was displaying a navigation notification at the bottom of the screen (e.g., Turn Left). What would happen is the screen would fail to change, no beep would sound, and then a split second later the unit would turn off. In each case, the unit was trying to run a Course, so I'm not sure whether this was a factor.

Comment

I used to have my Edge turn off when I would press the lap button. Turned out I tended to have one of my fingers along the left side and would accidentally be pressing the mode button at the same time. This went on for 6 months before I realized what I was doing. Turns out pressing Mode and Lap at the same time is a soft-reset of the watch. I complained to Garmin that you should at least have to hold them down for a couple seconds but their response was "by design".

RacingHeart, maybe you are accidentally pressing the lap button when you intend to just press the mode button.

If you aren't pressing any buttons when this happens, you definitely should contact Garmin and get it replaced if it is still under warranty. With the built in battery, this shouldn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by EKUTTER View Post
          RacingHeart, maybe you are accidentally pressing the lap button when you intend to just press the mode button.
          Thanks for the possible explanation, but I'm pretty sure that I'm only pressing the Mode button at the time. And since it's happened so rarely, I've been aware of the fact that each time so far it's occurred just as I was approaching an intersection, and only while I had a Course loaded. It has never happened when simply starting the unit and letting it record, nor has it happened while executing a preprogrammed Workout. I know of others who have posted on this forum regarding random power-shutdowns, so I've been monitoring to see whether some sort of pattern was forming.

I don't normally use the Course feature anyway, but do use the Workout feature a lot in conjunction with a power meter, so I'm glad that at least this area has been free of problems (knock on wood!)

Comment

Im having the same problem. Smooth road, on my desk, and the unit shuts down. At the beginning I thought I was pressing a button by mistake, but no. Any suggestions?

Comment

yep, mines shutting down too. just upgraded to the latest firmware (25-06-10) and its shutdown twice already!! Thought it might be because im cycling throught the different screens to fast?

Comment

I want to look into this a bit more. Could some of you please answer the following. Thanks.

When the unit is shutting down are you navigating along a course?
                If so where was the course created or imported?
                Are we seeing a certain time the unit shuts off?
                What software are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by HOBSONS View Post
                  I want to look into this a bit more. Could some of you please answer the following. Thanks.

When the unit is shutting down are you navigating along a course?
                  If so where was the course created or imported?
                  Are we seeing a certain time the unit shuts off?
                  What software are you running?
                  1. Yes, navigating along a Course (i.e., TCX, not GPX).
                  2. Course created using BikeRouteToaster.com, with "Add Course Points at Junctions" checkbox set as well as "Add Course Point Warnings" checkbox set.
                  3. No certain time, other than for me, it appears to happen if I happen to be cycling through the various menus just as the Course Point Warning pops up on the display (e.g., Left Turn).
                  4. Software? I'm guessing you mean PC or Mac OS? If so, I'm using WinXP Pro.

It's only happened to me 3 or 4 times, but each time I know a course point warning was about to be displayed and I happened to be pressing the Mode button at the time. This was using firmware 3.10. It hasn't happened for several months now, but of course I'm careful to never press any buttons anymore when I'm expecting some sort of pop-up message to appear.
                  Last edited by RACINGHEART; 06-25-2010, 08:57 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

@Hobsons

During one my mountain biking trips in Les Hauts Voges (France) I experienced several of these "spontaneous" power offs within minutes on a very short stretch. This occurred twice during one 40 km trip.

Please find my answers to your questions below for both events.

First event on a steep incline in a forest.
                    1. Yes, GPS-navigating along a marked course (VTT route 22).
                    2. Course created with MapSource (copied the paper version provided by the tourist information center)
                    3. No certain time. It happened 3 times within 5 minutes.
                    4. Firmware 3.10
                    5. Location: N48 03.948 E6 56.154

Second event during a normal incline in an open field.
                    1. Yes, GPS-navigating along amarked course (VTT route 2).
                    2. Course created with MapSource (copied the paper version provided by the tourist information center)
                    3. No certain time. It happened 2 times within 5 minutes.
                    4. Firmware 3.10
                    5. Location: N48 03.301 E6 54.695

During the second event I did not load the route the 2nd time the Edge powered off and it did not power off again. I loaded the route again a few km's away and it worked. This made me suspect the location and/or map information to be causing this, therefore I have added the rough GPS locations to it. At the time the newly bought SD with France Topographical cards was inserted and working.

During both events the marked VTT route was not accurately following the route I uploaded into the Edge. In both occasions the VTT route was in between "roads" on the map. When looking at the recorded track I see the Edge "jump" between the real location and the nearest road on the map a few times before it powers down.

If it helps I am happy to provide the track for this great route.

Regards,

Bas

Comment

1. Navigating coarse (tcx)
                      2. Imported route generated by RideWithGPS
                      3. Last ride it turned off 5 hrs into the ride. Has turned of sooner on other rides.
                      4. Firmware 3.1

Comment

Reverting to 3.1 works

Had loads of problems with my 705. Kept turning itself off mid-ride and also at random when plotting routes etc. Followed the instructions here to regress the software back to 3.1 and it's been rock solid ever since. Am wondering if my 3.2 was a bad install and if things will work ok if I reinstall it? Knowing that I can regress at will, I might experiment. Then again, might just wait for 3.3!

Comment

I'm on 3.1 and have the following problem:

when doing a GPX Track (Where to? Saved Rides), when I go off track it asks if I want to recalculate (I have it set to Prompt).

It often takes 10-30 seconds to respond to me pressing "OK" on the recalculate screen, then it does the planning but sits on "100%" for what seems like a minute but may be less. Then it shuts off. Over and over again.

Really a bummer b/c I love the turn indicators when using GPX vs. TCX. And I like the idea of being able to recalculate when I decide to go off track. but this is nuts.

Comment

I have recalculate set to "prompt" but if I'm following a saved ride I always click on No when it asks if I want to recalculate. It never does the recalculation correctly if I click on Yes to recalculate when doing a saved ride. The only time I click on Yes (for recalculation) is when I'm navigating to a saved location (not when following a saved ride).

Comment

1. Navigating to a favorite
                              2. Let the Edge calculate the route
                              3. No specific time
                              4. Firmware 3.2

After the Edge powered off I turned it back on and it had reset itself to factory defaults erasing all my settings, data and last ride

Back to 3.1

Comment

Working...
                              X