Edge 705 Lost Communication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge 705 Lost Communication

My computer does not recognise my Edge after starting up this morning Instead of opening the Garmin Folder it no see two removable disks with noting inside them. I am using Windows Xp

Make sure you are using the factory usb cable. Plug the cable into a different port on the computer. Does the 705 screen show you connected to a computer or charging the battery?
    Don Huston
    San Diego, CA.
    United States

Comment

I am using the factory cable and after using a different port it show that it is connected to the computer

Comment

So the 705 is connected. Do you get the Garmin folder now? Inside the Garmin folder there should be 4 main folders, Courses, GPX, History, Profile plus several more operating and map files. If the Garmin folder is empty then I think Garmin Support will have to send you new operating files.
        Don Huston
        San Diego, CA.
        United States

Comment

No I do not get the garmin File just two removable disks. Al the data is stil on the unit but canot see it on any program

Comment

The summary of your ride data that you see on the 705 screen in "History" is recorded and stored separately from the tcx file that is stored in the "History Folder" which is in the "Garmin Folder".

It is possible to delete (or corrupt) the tcx file from the "History Folder" and still have the summary of your ride data in the 705 in "History". They are separate. The summary data is not accessable or transferable or anything. The only thing you can do is delete it or leave it alone.

If you have a microSD card installed remove it. Plug the 705 into the computer and after a few seconds a screen should pop up with a single folder named Garmin. Double click it and you should get a new screen with the 4 folders and various files I mentioned before. If that does not happen you need someone smarter than me.
            Don Huston
            San Diego, CA.
            United States

Comment

When the 705 is connected if I'm reading this right, you can see 2 removable drives but not able to open the drives to see any folders.

Is it asking you to insert a disk?

Does the 705 have a picture of it being connected to a computer?

Try connecting the device while the device is turned off.

Comment

It is not asking for a disk. I could see 2 removable drives but at the moment it wil show that it is connected to the computer and then go into charging. There is no problems when using my 305

Comment

THIS SEEM TO BE A GENERAL PROBLEM, AND I AM POSTING IN ALL TREATS REGARDING THIS MATTER. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I AM POSTING THIS IN HOPE FOR HELP:

I have the edge 705 and worked perfectly for 4 weeks, comunicating fine with training center and weiving on google earth and everything. Now from one day to another there is no way of connecting to pc. Have dl all updates and programs, restarted soft and hard, tried another pc. No connection possible. When opening training center under help, it says that no usb driver installed, this is not correct, i have installed 10 times the drivers. No pc can recognize my unit?? Any help is highly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CUADROS View Post
                    THIS SEEM TO BE A GENERAL PROBLEM, AND I AM POSTING IN ALL TREATS REGARDING THIS MATTER. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I AM POSTING THIS IN HOPE FOR HELP:

I have the edge 705 and worked perfectly for 4 weeks, comunicating fine with training center and weiving on google earth and everything. Now from one day to another there is no way of connecting to pc. Have dl all updates and programs, restarted soft and hard, tried another pc. No connection possible. When opening training center under help, it says that no usb driver installed, this is not correct, i have installed 10 times the drivers. No pc can recognize my unit?? Any help is highly appreciated.
                    Not sure if this will solve your problem and it even sounds like you may have done this a few times but my first suggestion is to re-install everything.
                    Un-install everything first, clean out your cache and the, now obsolete, registry keys on your PC and start over by re-installing all drivers and software.
                    If this does not solve the problem I'd then give Garmin Support a call.

Also, in the future, start a new thread for your particular problem and try not to flood the place w the same question.
                    I realize the 705 can be very confusing and problematic but you'll be better off by focusing on one thread.

Good luck, 4CUADROS, hope you are back up and running soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CUADROS View Post
                      Any help is highly appreciated.
                      I think I have the same problem - tried with 3 different PC and Mac, master reset the device several times, used the factory cable but no luck. I believe there is virtually no cure for this and the best thing you could do is call Garmin Support. I think they are getting too many emails so a call could be faster - which I will try early next week once I find time to do so in my workplace, during their business hours....

I hope you pour a full of patience to get this resolved, as Garmin Support seems not aware of this problem and they look like short of hands...

Comment

Thanks to all of you. I think I will have to return the GPS to Garmin. You are right it does not seem like Garmin is aware of this problem. There is absolutely no help to get on web site. I have talked to Garmin, they want me to send them my GPS for repair, at my cost even the GPS is only 2 month old??? Hope they are wrong and recognise they failure.

Comment

4CUADROS, can you please tell me which Garmin office you called? I prefer to talk to people who have already handled this issue.

And it is surprising that Garmin is going to charge for repair. It is apparent that the defects is in the unit, not in users.

Comment

Hello, we've got our Edge since the end of Februar '10 and we also have the same problem since last week. Before it was working perfect !!!! Can anyone tell us if we can solve this problem ourself, or do we really have to sent the Edge 705 back to Garmin ? I'm tired of resetting, reinstalling software and so on ........
                            Grtz from Belgium

Comment

Same Communication Problem!

I bought My 705 about 3 weeks ago worked great for first 2 then stopped communicating ! Have spent the last week trying to get it to work, unloading, re-loading - resetting - searching through Garmin web support ect, have sent a couple of e-mails to and had reply's from their Tech support, (but frustrating, 'of course I've switched it off and back on again'!)
                              Just come across this forum!
                              Showing exactly the same symptoms as others have listed here
                              Windows Explorer sees two drives F & G on my Pc. but no folders in either.
                              I have downloaded Garmin Communicator Plugin and USB drives - when I now run the test page it says 'Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating correctly' yet it still will not communicate with WebUpdater or Training Center
                              I have also downloaded Training center on to a friends computer and it won't communicate with it
                              In Windows Device Manager - Disc Drives - it sees it as a Garmin Edge705 Flash USB Device and Garmin Edge705 SD Card USB Device (no card in slot)
                              Has anyone actually fixed this problem yet? Surley its a software problem!
                              Why was this forum so hard to find from the Garmin Website Home page?
                              Why doesn't Garmin Tech, support answer questions here?

Comment

Working...
                              X