No announcement yet.

Various, non-evident questions on Edge 705

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various, non-evident questions on Edge 705

1) I have read some reviews about Edge 705, right after I bought it recently, but I dont understand something. Can you please clarify for me what happens if I did insert a microSD card into the unit, go on a long ride of 8-10 hours with "every second recording", but do not manually save the track of the ride in each 4 hours? I have the latest firnware v3.30. I got used to 60csx, where the tracklog itself is overwritten after the 10000th trackpoint, but the track is recorded onto the SD card without any user intervention. What happens with Edge 705. I know that the trackpoints is limited to 16383 as regards the tracklog, but is there any autosave-like solution as it is for 60csx?

2) Does it make any difference to upload maps into the internal memory of Edge 705 or is it the same to do it into a microSD card as far as map handling is regarded? You know speed of displaying a map detail when moving the cursor can be different based on where the maps are placed.

3) I uploaded 9 maps into 705. Some of them are from Garmin, some are free and prepared by non-profit projects, some are made by me. I never had any problems with the same set after uploaded them to 60csx, but on Edge 705 I can switch on and off only some of them within Map setting. The others cannot be switched off, even if I crazily push the Enter with joystick. Any hint? Is it related with some maximum number of maps, which Edge 705 is able to properly handle?

Thanks a lot

+ Can somebody share the basemap.img file of 705 for me, please? Any versions of it (US, Europe etc) would be highly appreciated.

I made lot of testing to find out what the reason can be behind the strange behaviour of my unit (point 3 of my previous post), but no idea. I did soft rest, hard reset, rollback the software to 3.10, then installed 3.30 again. I also tested the case when I uploaded only one map, which was a fully official, Garmin made one. I experienced two things.

a) Some combination of maps mean that I cant switch off/hide some of the maps. Even if I have only one Garmin map on my Edge 705, I cannot hide this one.
    b) In some cases I could hide all the maps in Settings/Map, but for some mysterious reasons one of maps was shown on Map page.

So my last chance is to restore the basemap, which I did not get back with the reinstallment of the software

Comment

Originally posted by Tisztul_A_Visztula View Post
      + Can somebody share the basemap.img file of 705 for me, please? Any versions of it (US, Europe etc) would be highly appreciated.

I made lot of testing to find out what the reason can be behind the strange behaviour of my unit (point 3 of my previous post), but no idea. I did soft rest, hard reset, rollback the software to 3.10, then installed 3.30 again. I also tested the case when I uploaded only one map, which was a fully official, Garmin made one. I experienced two things.

a) Some combination of maps mean that I cant switch off/hide some of the maps. Even if I have only one Garmin map on my Edge 705, I cannot hide this one.
      b) In some cases I could hide all the maps in Settings/Map, but for some mysterious reasons one of maps was shown on Map page.

So my last chance is to restore the basemap, which I did not get back with the reinstallment of the software

You can use any map (not too big) as a basemap. Load it into the 705 internal memory and then change the name to gmapbmap.img.
      It will not show up in Maps where you can select or un-select it and only becomes visible when all other maps are un-selected.

Did you check the 705 internal memory for your basemap? Rolling back the software should not have removed it unless you formatted the drive.

What program and method are you using to install your maps?

Are all the maps on the micro card in one file named gmapsupp.img ?
      Don Huston
      San Diego, CA.
      United States

Comment

Point 3 is solved, but not understood the root of the problem

Originally posted by DATEZZ View Post
        You can use any map (not too big) as a basemap. Load it into the 705 internal memory and then change the name to gmapbmap.img.
        It will not show up in Maps where you can select or un-select it and only becomes visible when all other maps are un-selected.

Did you check the 705 internal memory for your basemap? Rolling back the software should not have removed it unless you formatted the drive.

What program and method are you using to install your maps?

Are all the maps on the micro card in one file named gmapsupp.img ?
        Sorry I did not mention that all my attempts to cure the 705 had included a reformatting, too, but it was not the reason to lose basemap, actually I simply deleted it to get more free space within the internal memory. But thanks for the hint to use a fake basemap.

I used the latest version of Mapsource for uploading and yes there was one file named gmapsupp.img. I also followed a different approach meaning that I tested what if there was one img in the internal memory and no card (or empty card), or having the same img on the card, but nothing in the internal memory, or having two copies of the same img, one in the memory one in the card. The same result.

But for the time being I am fine, because I realised accidently that if I put the card into the 705 with some tiles of an old "hacked" CN Europe Map from 2010 collected from the web meaning that that version did not require any unlocking, it cures everything, I can upload any combination of Garmin maps and free maps into the internal memory and both I am able to show or hide them and there is no map shown if I hide them all.

What a shame that things are OK only if I use a catalyst, which I dont need at all and which comes from the dark side

It would be a wild reason, but thoughts must be unlimited, but what if there is some geographic limitation within my unit? It is a speacial Team Edition bought from a German guy and I wanted to upload a set of maps covering either only Hungary or some part of Central Europe, but never Germany. Having deleted the basemap there was no map tile covering any part of Germany. Having added CNEurope there was at least some part of Germany covered. It is really a wild speculation, but I slept only 3-4 hours due to my tests.
        Last edited by Tisztul_A_Visztula; 06-14-2013, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Point 2 closed, point 1 still requires a help

1) I have read some reviews about Edge 705, right after I bought it recently, but I dont understand something. Can you please clarify for me what happens if I did insert a microSD card into the unit, go on a long ride of 8-10 hours with "every second recording", but do not manually save the track of the ride in each 4 hours? I have the latest firnware v3.30. I got used to 60csx, where the tracklog itself is overwritten after the 10000th trackpoint, but the track is recorded onto the SD card without any user intervention. What happens with Edge 705. I know that the trackpoints is limited to 16383 as regards the tracklog, but is there any autosave-like solution as it is for 60csx?

This weekend I may try to break my distance record in cycling, so I would really appreciate if some more seasoned Edge users could help me to advise me about tracklog saving.

2) Does it make any difference to upload maps into the internal memory of Edge 705 or is it the same to do it into a microSD card as far as map handling is regarded? You know speed of displaying a map detail when moving the cursor can be different based on where the maps are placed.

Thanks a lot
          Due to my limited tests showed me no difference, so this file is closede
          Last edited by Tisztul_A_Visztula; 06-14-2013, 04:08 AM.

Comment

My suggestion would be the obvious. Don't use 1 sec recording and instead use Smart Recording. In what way would Smart Recording be insufficient for your needs?

Comment

[QUOTE=Tisztul_A_Visztula;187925]This weekend I may try to break my distance record in cycling, so I would really appreciate if some more seasoned Edge users could help me to advise me about tracklog saving.

I do not know if a Team Edition works any differently than a standard 705.
              I do know that the later software updates, 3.1 and 3.3, have removed the track size limit on the standard 705.
              With those updates you supposedly can record a track as big as your available memory.

Originally Garmin recommended using 4GB micro cards or smaller. After the later updates you are supposed to be able to use bigger cards. I tried an 8GB card and it seemed sluggish when loaded so I now use only the 4 or 2GB cards with just the maps for my area loaded that I want to use. I have 3 maps plus the basemap on my 705 but I only check (select) and use one map at a time.

At the end of a ride I always press STOP and then press and hold the LAP/RESET button for the 3-2-1 count. That procedure makes the 705 build a TCX file and saves it into the HISTORY folder. It also resets all your data fields to zero and is ready to record the next track.
              Don Huston
              San Diego, CA.
              United States

Comment

Originally posted by LOOIGI View Post
                My suggestion would be the obvious. Don't use 1 sec recording and instead use Smart Recording. In what way would Smart Recording be insufficient for your needs?
                Sorry to say, but your suggestion has of no value for me. I have a power meter and need that second by second data. By the way as I know 310XT and 910XT automatically switches to 1 sec recording if there is a power meter present, so I guess Edge 705 does the same way.

Comment

I do know that the later software updates, 3.1 and 3.3, have removed the track size limit on the standard 705.
                  With those updates you supposedly can record a track as big as your available memory.
                  Thanks, that was the sentence I was looking for. I had checked the change history of the software, but it does not explicitly declare it.
                  As a byproduct I found two interesting changes in the section 2.80 vs 2.70:
                  "Increased the allowable digits in the 'vertical to point' field to 4.
                  Increased the allowable digits in the 'calories' field to 5."

Calories of more than 9999 with the former trackpoints limit of 1683 seems to be really cool.

EDIT: I've some reference saying that it was version 2.3 to eliminate the limit and indeed:
                  "Removed time limitation from history recording."
                  Actually it is phrased not the right way since it was not time limitation, but trackpoint number limitation
                  Last edited by Tisztul_A_Visztula; 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X