Still power drops with stages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still power drops with stages

Only with garmin and only with stages...
    I record the activity also with TrainerRoad, and it has no drops

Bluetooth

I had issues with mine, too. Turned off Bluetooth on the 520 and things are ok now. Bummer, tho, because then I can't connect my phone to the 520 during the ride.

Comment

I've fixed my Stages G2 issue by swapping the front Garming mount with a K-Edge mount and by using a small piece of electrical tape on the Stages door. Not sure which of the 2 changes made the problems go away, but after I've done that I didn't have problems.

Comment

K-edge

Originally posted by ScorpionRO View Post
        I've fixed my Stages G2 issue by swapping the front Garming mount with a K-Edge mount and by using a small piece of electrical tape on the Stages door. Not sure which of the 2 changes made the problems go away, but after I've done that I didn't have problems.
        The K-edge mount actually sits below the bars compared to the Garmin that sits above, correct?

Comment

Tape?

Originally posted by ScorpionRO View Post
          Does the piece of tape go on the inside of the cover to put slight pressure on the battery or on the outside to hold the door down? My guess is the inside.

Comment

I moved mine to the stem mount and it seems OK now. I also used a Garmin 1000 on both stem and out front and that was OK too ?

Comment

Same issue on mine and a teammate here. Between us we tried many options including dual 520's with different mount locations. I spoke to Stages and they said it is due to the ANT+ receiver (antenna) on the 520 and 1000 being relocated from the upper right of the Garmin to the lower right corner of the unit. They feel that the handle bar was interfering with the signal due to the relocation of the receiver. Mine works fine on top of the stem. I have seen some mounted on a front mount lower than the handle bars that work fine. While it makes some sense to me, I never had an issue with the Garmin cadence sensor mounted in roughly the same place on the left crank arm. I think that there is a combination of their receiver theory and a very weak signal from the stages itself.

Comment

I have seen the same issue with the 820 and Stages, power/cadence dropping regularly.
                It seems to get worse when the battery on the Stages is low (probably lower signal)

With the Garmin in the k-edge mount in front of the bar (carbon) i see lot's of drops and reconnect.

Moving the Garmin on the stem or on the top tube, no drops.
                Pretty annoying though.

Same setup with the Quarq has no drops, so part of the blame may be with the Stages antenna.
                "There is no A-line"

Comment

Semi fix

I bought a Fourier front mount for the Garmin since it hung the Garmin below the bars. It still dropped the Stages signal occasionally. Not perfect but better. I then moved the mount to the left side of the stem and it now works with no drops. The garmin is not centered, I still find it better than above the stem. The mount I bought looks like the attached photo. I also extended the mount out as far as possible to lessen accidentally hitting the garmin buttons with my knuckles.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 3.30.27 PM.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

My 520 works OK with Stages, not my 820

I rode for 12 months with a Stages Cycling powermeter and Garmin Edge 520, no drops. Upgraded to the Edge 820 and lots of drops with the power and RPM numbers. Stages support says it is a Garmin bug, and Garmin says it is a Stages bug, so as a consumer I am caught between two competing vendors with no chance of resolution. I tried turning Bluetooth on the Garmin 820 off, however that increased the number of drops. My mount is the K-edge, out front. I won't mount on my stem, because I prefer to glance at the mount out front, it's a safety issue.

Comment

Have you tried the out front mount to both the left and right of the stem? May make enouigh difference, but don't know if it's possible with your mount.

If that's no good and you can't stem mount (understandably from your point of view) then I think you are stuck, unless you still have your 520?
                      - Jay

Comment

Working...
                      X