Low Memory problem in Edge 510

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Memory problem in Edge 510

I just bought a new Garmin Edge 510 and haven't used it even for a single ride. After connecting it to my PC and doing initial steps like registering the device, the dashboard page asked me to update my device software to Version 2.20. And I did it. Before the update my device had 15 Mb of free data and now after the update it is having only 7.5 Mb of free space. More over the dashboard page still notifies me to update the device. And if I try to update, it then responds with an error message as low memory. And also when ever I TURN ON my Edge 510 it gives an message as, "Applying update" and then in few seconds it gives an message as,"Unable to apply the update". I have even done factory reset it is still of no use. Kindly tell me the way to bring back the device to NEW CONDITION with 15 mb memory and no error messages...

Thanks in advance

Regards
    CS.Senthiil

Much of the space on the 510 is taken up with various language packs. You can safely remove these as you can reinstall them later if needed.

English is built in to the code of the Edge so if you use English then you do not need any of the files in the Garmin\Text folder. If you use a non-English language then leave the appropriate text file in that folder.

I would also suggest using the web updater to perform updates as it may give you a little more control and visibility of what updates are being implemented.
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=999-99999-27
    - Alan

Comment

Regarding memory, I'm really stumped. I had an Edge 305 that got crushed under a bus' wheels recently and I decided to replace it with an Edge 510. My main gripe against the 305 was the low memory. Anything over 3.5 hours and it would erase the earlier data. I hoped that the 510 would have much much better built in memory, but to my huge surprise, It was still very poorly equipped. I went for two days of mountain biking, roughly 6 hours total, and this was entirely recorded and uplaoded to my computer afterwards.

But then two days ago I went for a 100km road ride and when I came back home, all the GPS data was missing. I read in the FAQ that if memory was running low, the unit would ditch the GPS data so it could keep recording. Is that it? 6 hours of data and then you start losing functionality?

Comment

No you should not lose data at 6 hours. What the unit will do is delete older activities if it gets short of diskspace.
        When the 510 is mounted/connected to the computer how much free space does it have?
        Can you also post the Activity FIT file?

If all the GPS data is missing I would guess that the unit might have been switched on without access to any GPS signals (e.g. in doors) and that the GPS shutdown. You then went outside and started the ride.
        - Alan

Comment

I went ahead and did your language files trick, and the used space is down to 1.6mb or so of the 20mb total. I don't have the .fit files for the MTB rides that had GPS data, but here's the file for the later part (missing 20km or so at the beginning that are in a different activity) of that road ride. The size is minimal at 160kb, so it seems only adding position data shouldn't make it that much bigger, but I always make sure to check if GPS is enabled.

Could it have something to do with the GSC10 being used?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NARDYPANTS View Post
            I went ahead and did your language files trick, and the used space is down to 1.6mb or so of the 20mb total. I don't have the .fit files for the MTB rides that had GPS data, but here's the file for the later part (missing 20km or so at the beginning that are in a different activity) of that road ride. The size is minimal at 160kb, so it seems only adding position data shouldn't make it that much bigger, but I always make sure to check if GPS is enabled.

Could it have something to do with the GSC10 being used?
            The FIT file lists all the devices that it has found and for some reason it did not find the internal GPS sensor.

The file was recorded using firmware version 2.20. Garmin has released 2.50. There have been a lot of issues addressed between these releases so you may want to consider upgraing if you have not already done so.
            - Alan

Comment

not able to update due to low memory

I have a similar problem, I have just tried to update my 510 from firmware 2.7 to 3.0 but it won't let me due to memory full. Of the 22mb capacity I only have 7.6mb left with the update being 8.9mb.
              I have deleted all previous activities, courses and the text file but still only have 7.6mb available.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Two things to try.

If you are using a Mac then you need to empty the trash while the 510 is connected to the Mac to really free up the space.

You can remove unwanted language files from the Garmin\Text folder. English is built in to O/S so if you are using English then you do not need any of the files in the Text folder.
                - Alan

Comment

Originally posted by AWEATHERALL View Post
                  Two things to try.

If you are using a Mac then you need to empty the trash while the 510 is connected to the Mac to really free up the space.

You can remove unwanted language files from the Garmin\Text folder. English is built in to O/S so if you are using English then you do not need any of the files in the Text folder.
                  this one worked for me, too simple to miss, but I did it anyway, empty the trash!! thx, I was about to do a full reset of my garmin

Comment

Thanks this worked for me!!

Comment

Emptying trash has helped memory, but

As my title states, emptying the trash has gotten rid of the 'memory low' message, but now my Edge 510 is ejecting when half way thru the update.

Are Mac and Garmin not compatible

Is there any joy to be had...

Comment

WOah

Originally posted by AWEATHERALL View Post
                        Two things to try.

Woah. Hot tip. Why isn't this in the text of the Garmin 510 update? Or why can't the installer do something with those files? I didn't even know you needed to do that for files deleted from any device!

Comment

Format the device

I had the same issue for countless months, it all started when i was trying to upgrade the firmware where the device suddenly froze. after scouring the internet for weeks I came across a different forum a user suggested to simply format the device just as if you were to format a USB drive or a HDD, the connect to Garmin Express and upgrade the firmware. To my surprise this worked, now running the last firmware and there is ample space on the device. Will test ride it tomorrow to if any new gremlins were created in the process, hopefully not.

Comment

Working...
                          X