Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Incorrect distance information

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    2.8 most certainly did not address the under-reporting problem I'm afraid.
    I used "addressed" rather than "fixed" because posts indicate that the under-reporting is more like 2% rather than the 8% that was seen with 2.7. I don't have a 510 so I am not sure what has changed. JESPERTH'S 10% under-reporting is more than the amount I though others are seeing with 2.8. So I though it could be a sensor alignment issue. But after looking at the posted ride, it appears the sensor is triggering consistently. The slippage is consistently 10%. How much under-reporting do you see with 2.8?
    Last edited by TIGERMOUNTRIDER; 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread (here) but I'm also seeing about 5-10% under-reporting using firmware 2.8.

Comment

Also a problem here. Problem with the 510 losing data?

I noticed this on a ride last night when following a course. My 510 has the speed sensor auto-calibrated.

It is interesting to look at the speed graph in Strava:

Capture.png

Ride distance according to Garmin Route Planner: 22.17 miles. Strava reports 22.4 miles. Garmin reports 20.48 miles. Most of the ride in open country. A short distance through woods (playing in the mud in the dark :-).

The 510 can be quite sluggish at times to respond to user input. Is there a chance it could be running out of CPU power and losing interrupts or losing data? I have seen the speed reading drop during a ride, but I didn't notice it on this ride. The trace on Strava shows a regular drop-out.

I can't rule out something that Strava may have been doing with the data. It would be interesting to extract the data from the .fit file and examine it. Wasn't there a tool to convert .fit to .csv?
        Last edited by richard_m0rjc; 01-08-2014, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHARD_M0RJC View Post
          I noticed this on a ride last night when following a course. My 510 has the speed sensor auto-calibrated.

It is interesting to look at the speed graph in Strava:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15460[/ATTACH]

Ride distance according to Garmin Route Planner: 22.17 miles. Strava reports 22.4 miles. Garmin reports 20.48 miles. Most of the ride in open country. A short distance through woods (playing in the mud in the dark :-).

The 510 can be quite sluggish at times to respond to user input. Is there a chance it could be running out of CPU power and losing interrupts or losing data? I have seen the speed reading drop during a ride, but I didn't notice it on this ride. The trace on Strava shows a regular drop-out.

I can't rule out something that Strava may have been doing with the data. It would be interesting to extract the data from the .fit file and examine it. Wasn't there a tool to convert .fit to .csv?
          I often recommended not to auto-calibrate the speed sensor. The problem is about how it works. It NEED to auto-calibrate at the beginning. So when the GPS reception is not at its optimum. I checked the auto-calibration for several rides ( on an Edge 500) and it can defer about 100mm from training to training, which is quite a lot. Feel free to check yourself during your training. When you go the appropriate setting page it shows the current value created. So I strictly recommend to set it fix. Measuring wheel circumference is not a big deal.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who is reporting this issue, and also to those posting & trying to help get it resolved.

Same issue goes for me. I've ridden the same exact route for years... no trees, buildings, or other objects to obstruct GPS signal. Used various GPS sources including Garmin Colorado, Garmin E-trex, Samsung Galaxy S-III (w/MapMyRide app), and most recently, Edge 510. The last 12 distances recorded on this ride are:

19.19 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.15 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.25 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.13 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.18 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.21 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.15 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.19 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.16 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.13 mi (Samsung/MapMyRide)
            19.14 mi (first use of Edge 510 w/speed & cadence sensor)
            17.32 mi (second use of Edge 510 w/speed & cadence sensor, following course from previous ride)

My 510 has the latest firmware update (version 2.8 I think).

Speed & cadence sensor placement/installation still appear to be in order. My wheel size is 700x25, so from the user manual, I have dimension of 2105mm input to the 510.

I have the 510 set to Auto Pause when speed = Zero. I noticed on this most recent ride (with the extremely low 17.32 mi distance) that the 510 would Auto Pause & Auto Reset at seemingly random times, even when I was riding 15 to 20 mph or more.

Unless Garmin announces a firmware update, or someone can tell me exactly what's wrong with my settings, I guess I'll be experimenting. Next time I ride, I'm not going to use the course/Virtual Partner. I'll post the result later.

Thanks again
            Last edited by BPriest; 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

Nothing is wrong with your settings. It's long been discussed here that the 510 under reports distances when following a course. Not following a course, the distance reported both live as you're riding and later after being uploaded to Garmin Connect it's correct.

Comment

I just discovered this. I dont use Garmin Connect. I use training peaks and strava so I did the following.

uploaded to Garmin Connect
                downloaded .gpx from garmin connect.
                uploaded gpx to training peaks and strava.

If it slightly understates my speed while riding a course, while annoying I always end up being faster later that night on the computer.
                Annoying? yes. do they need to fix it? Yes. Do I use this feature in a race? Hell No.

Comment

Working...
                X