Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interval training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interval training

    I am trying to figure out how to do interval training with the edge 500. What I want to be able to do is setup intervals with associated heart rate (or power) limits and recovery. On my polar HR monitor I do this with limits and a time interval and then a recovery period.

    Is there anything like this? Right now my best idea is to setup limits and then use a separate watch for the timer. Clearly not ideal at all (I don't usually even ride with a watch, the computer should take its place).

    I was really surprised I can't find this. I was certain other edge models had a feature to do something like this and I though the 500 would be great for exactly these kinds of race training cycling needs.

  • #2
    Originally posted by BRENDAN_BILLINGB View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to do interval training with the edge 500. What I want to be able to do is setup intervals with associated heart rate (or power) limits and recovery. On my polar HR monitor I do this with limits and a time interval and then a recovery period.

    Is there anything like this? Right now my best idea is to setup limits and then use a separate watch for the timer. Clearly not ideal at all (I don't usually even ride with a watch, the computer should take its place).

    I was really surprised I can't find this. I was certain other edge models had a feature to do something like this and I though the 500 would be great for exactly these kinds of race training cycling needs.
    Custom interval training Workouts were one thing the 705 excelled at, especially intervals based on power (obviously, power meter required).* Unfortunately, this is currently not a feature of the 500. That being said, around the time the 500 was initially released, there were reports that the 500 would support Workouts in a firmware release targeted for Q1. I wouldn't hold my breath though, considering Garmin's got their hands full just trying to work out the bugs in the 500 when running a Course correctly without hardware freeze-up or data file corruption.

    *Creating power-based workouts using a PC requires using SportTracks.

    Comment


    • #3
      workouts

      That would be great. I had thought the 500 was going to be a lot like the 705 only smaller and without the map capabilities, but it has turned out not to be the case at all. I am really surprised after all the hype for the device I actually can't believe that anyone would be using it for any serious training compared to other devices priced the same or cheaper.

      I did find and create a workout, but as you said the 500 doesn't support them and I can't transfer them. I hope we get this update soon. I can make it through my early training without this and it is only an annoyance, but in a couple months if I don't have something better then what I have now I am going to be looking for a new tool to do my interval training.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BRENDAN_BILLINGB View Post
        I am really surprised after all the hype for the device I actually can't believe that anyone would be using it for any serious training compared to other devices priced the same or cheaper.
        Agreed!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BRENDAN_BILLINGB View Post
          I am really surprised after all the hype for the device I actually can't believe that anyone would be using it for any serious training compared to other devices priced the same or cheaper.
          1) Currently, there are still only a handful of Ant+ head units out there, so for those who own wireless power meters using the Ant+ protocol, this is one of the least expensive devices to display your power numbers while riding as well as record them for post-ride analysis. Saris is coming out with a couple of head units any day now; iBike has one; Specialized is releasing one (imo the display and casing look awful though); and Bontrager released 2 units, but neither provide downloading of data to the personal computer for some reason.

          2) Its small form factor and secure mount (at least so far) during racing is nice. The 705, while much more versatile, has a reportedly weak mount for the size and weight of the unit, and the unit itself is rather bulky; not something you want flying off your bars while in the middle of a road race.

          3) The 705 retail price was way more than the 500, although admittedly it has been dropping like a rock lately (Last month I saw a 705 complete with map card, GSC-10, and HR strap for something like $430 after discounts and $50 Garmin rebate!)

          But, I agree with you in the sense that I purchased the 500 with the intention of only using while racing, while the 705 would be relegated to training sessions, where I have a bunch of custom workouts based on power loaded in the unit and ready to go.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BRENDAN_BILLINGB View Post
            That would be great. I had thought the 500 was going to be a lot like the 705 only smaller and without the map capabilities, but it has turned out not to be the case at all. I am really surprised after all the hype for the device I actually can't believe that anyone would be using it for any serious training compared to other devices priced the same or cheaper.

            I did find and create a workout, but as you said the 500 doesn't support them and I can't transfer them. I hope we get this update soon. I can make it through my early training without this and it is only an annoyance, but in a couple months if I don't have something better then what I have now I am going to be looking for a new tool to do my interval training.
            Update -- Garmin now supports Workouts in firmware 2.20.

            Hopefully, people will have better luck running Workouts than they've had with downloaded Courses! Keep your fingers crossed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Now that 500 is supporting workouts - how do you set them up?

              Comment


              • #8
                You can set them up in Garmin Training Center.

                Comment

                Working...
                X