Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt .fit files

I've only experienced what I believe to be one corrupt or unreadable .fit file so far but I'm curious about them. Reading the forums I'm certainly not the only person to experience this so a few questions come to mind.

1) What corrupts the file? The Garmin as a USB mass storage device shows no errors.

2) Why can't Garmin Connect upload them? No error handling routine other than a time out on upload?

3) Any chance that Garmin will provide some utility for us to see what's going on in the .fit file and enable us to fix them?

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this?
    Last edited by kc15test; 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM.
    Ron

I don't have an Edge 500, but on the Forerunner 310xt the primary cause was a checksum error. Somebody on the 310 forum posted a way of fixing them using a hex editor to change the last byte or two. I think this worked most of the time, but there were a few corrupt files that people had posted that were unrecoverable.

Having said that, I don't know if the same thing is happening with the Edge 500.

Comment

I have the Edge 500 and a corrupt file that just won't want to load via GarminConnect. As you say, the ".fit" file format is impossible to edit or even check with any of the Garmin utilities. I managed to convert it to .tcx format via the TrainingCenter software and had a look at the XML. Nothing seemed to be out of order. Odd indeed.

Not much help I know, just another user out there with the same problem!
      Mike

Edge 500 + HR/Cadence

Comment

I suspect there will soon be tools to manage the .FIT files as Garmin starts to release the SDK and the .FIT file format becomes less of a mystery. Without the file specification, it is really hard to understand. With the specification, it really is fairly straight forward to parse. It shouldn't be that hard to produce a tool that will let you parse and salvage valid portions of the file. Someone already wrote a tool to convert .FIT files to TCX that posted recently to this forum. Search on 'Converter'.

Comment

Had my last .fit file go corrupt, and my last activity didn't save to the Edge 500. The corrupted .fit file was able to load from my Edge 500 and from my desktop to the Training Center...as for the activity...thats for another thread when you lose a 12-hr MTB race's data.

Comment

Safely Remove Hardware

Originally posted by RDONSON View Post
            1) What corrupts the file? The Garmin as a USB mass storage device shows no errors...
            Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this?
            The Edge 500 documentation and all posting on this forum to-date makes no mention of how to remove a usb mass storage device from your computer. I wonder if this is causing some of the corruption errors which is messing up the Edge 500. I haven't used mine long enough to say on way or the other.

Before disconnecting the Edge 500 (or 705 for that matter) from the computer:
            * Select the Safely Remove Hardware tool from system tray;
            * Remove the usb mass storage device which is the Edge;
            * Then disconnect the usb cable.

Comment

Originally posted by TEXMURPHY View Post
              The Edge 500 documentation and all posting on this forum to-date makes no mention of how to remove a usb mass storage device from your computer. I wonder if this is causing some of the corruption errors which is messing up the Edge 500. I haven't used mine long enough to say on way or the other.

I will agree with you that most of us posting here have not talked about how to disconnect your Edge from the computer. However there are instructions on page 34 of the manual on how to disconnect from both a Mac and a PC.
              AKA luv2climb.

Comment

The FR310 has had a bunch of issues with this and it isn't a USB mass storage device. The errors there have been due to the file not being written correctly. This can happen if the unit crashes and leaves a file in an unknown state or if there is just a bug in the code that generates the file improperly. Often it has simply been a bad checksum value which is the last 2 bytes of the file. The edge 705 used to have similar problems but it was easy to diagnose because the files generated were .tcx files which are readable in a text editor. You could clearly see where the file would just end half way through a data point tag. So I doubt this has anything to do with the USB connection. If it did, it would most likely only be a problem with version of the file you copied and not the actual file on the device.

Comment

Originally posted by TEXMURPHY View Post

That's a good thought but I doubt that's been the cause. In my case I've been pretty religious about using Windoze "safely remove" feature. As mentioned by others I think its a Garmin problem that might be remedied in new firmware or by a tool to fix the problem after the fact.
                  Ron

Comment

This is really getting annoying. Another .fit file tonight that won't upload to Garmin Connect. 24 activities and 2 that won't upload. Grrrrrr.....
                    Ron

Comment

OK, I was annoyed tonight so I decided to try loading those 2 .fit files that Garmin Connect didn't like into Garmin Training Center. Guess what? No problems. GTC imported them just fine, thank you.

So I guess the problem is somewhere between the Edge 500, my PC and Garmin Connect.

Still Grrrrrrrr... as I really want this data up on Garmin Connect as I find GTC to be clunky outside of handling HR zones.
                      Ron

Comment

You can export them from TC (probably as a tcx file) and then upload them to GC. Not ideal, but should work. Looks like TC ignores the errors in the file while GC just fails. With all the problems they have with the devices generating bad .FIT files, it'd be nice if the upload software were more tolerant when possible. Give them a couple firmware upgrades and these problems should largely disappear. That's what happened with the FR310 and the Edge 705.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The recent FIT converter handles these files fine as well.

The last time I tried to upload a TCX file into GC it wouldn't let me. I'll see if I can figure it out this time.
                          Ron

Comment

Garmin is aware of this issue and we are looking into it. If you can use this thread to attach .FIT files that seem to be corrupted that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
                            Last edited by kc15test; 01-28-2010, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KCARLSON15 View Post
                              Garmin is aware of this issue and we are looking into it. If you can use this thread to attach .FIT files that seem to be corrupted that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
                              Happy to oblige.
                              Attached Files
                              Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X