No announcement yet.

'Software Missing' message following Edge 500 upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BACANINO View Post
    If you can see the device in your pc as mass storage device, then you can try to upload the lower versions first.
    Tried that too but unfortunately I get the same error regardless of which version I try.

Comment

I noticed that someone posted the flash files for version 3.0 rather than the 2.3 files that were circulating earlier. .I'm wondering if you could flash using those files and go straight to 3.0 and avoid trying to upgrade from 2.3.
      - Alan

Comment

Can someone please confirm if the flash file straight to version 3 works?

Comment

Software Missing message

My 1 week old Garmin Edge 500 also died when I applied the firmware update to 3.0.

- The only way I could switch the device on was with the 4 button reset simply started the device which displayed the software missing message again

- I could not mount it as a USB drive on my desktop either.

- I downloaded the Edge 500 RGN SW v3_00 (the "if all else fails" updater) and followed the instructions numerous times but the device was simply not recognized as a USB device so I could not select it in the updated.exe process

But I fiddles around a little, and the following solution worked for me:
          1. Make sure the device is switched off
          2. Plug in the USB cable
          3. Push all 4 buttons at once and let go so the unit starts up
          4. drag the .rgn onto the updater.exe to run the updater
          5. I was then able to see my Edge 500 in the USB device selection list for the updater. It then proceded to install the update successfully and the device is functioning as normal again.

Comment

I don't understand how to use this download. All I get is a link to register for file factory. I can't download the zip file. Please help!!!!!
            Here is the fix for anyone needing it
            http://www.filefactory.com/file/6k6h...N_SW_v3_00_zip
            rename the updater.exex to updater.exe
            There's the rest of the instructions inside.

Thanks to Joel, I'll be testing this now.

Comment

HELP! I can't get the zip file link to work!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WACOMME View Post
                HELP! I can't get the zip file link to work!!!!!
                Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "Slow Download" download button and follow the prompt to enter a wod.
                - Alan

Comment

I did and I downloaded 'Edge. I don't see an updater. exex file anywhere.

Comment

I can't seem to open the 'Edge download. BTW - I'm a Mac guy. I know next to nothing about PCs.

Comment

This update program will only run from a PC. You will need to gain access to a PC in order to use it.
                      - Alan

Comment

Originally posted by AWEATHERALL View Post
                        This update program will only run from a PC. You will need to gain access to a PC in order to use it.
                        I was up way too late last night trying to get this device to work. And thanks to your help I think I have it running. We'll see at the State TT today. More later . . .

Comment

I'm happy to report that I got my Edge 500 up and running again in time for the state TT. Thank you very much for your help. I used an old PC notebook, and used the technique you described for the PC to "see" the device. I then reformatted the 500, and installed software downloaded from a posting someone made on this forum. Once working, I reconfigured my settings, and it all works.

Your assistance enabled me to monitor my race, taking 6th in my division in a time of 57 minutes for a 40K ITT.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the headache.

As a small follow-up to this issue, it is important to allow the update process to complete. The update process for the Edge 500 may take a little longer than in the past. However, allowing it to set on the Garmin splash screen will allow for the update to conclude appropriately. Any interruption of this process may cause the device to display the 'missing software' message.

To speed the update process we would recommend moving all history from the device to another location. This will ensure a faster update time.

Comment

anyone can upload this file again plz

Comment

Try here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3t...ENVRUU4cDZpeWM

Comment

Working...
                                X