Heart rate monitor disappeared

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart rate monitor disappeared

Hello,

I have HRM1G heart rate monitor connected to edge 500. I used it for 2 months. Everything was fine until last week. First heart rate became unstable: sometimes 50% of real heart rate, sometimes correct value. Then it disappeared. I've changed the battery. No luck. Now it even cannot be detected after rescan.
    Please advise.

Reset the HRM by inserting the battery reversed, then reinsert the battery correctly. Next wearing the HRM, do a rescan.
    If that does not help, check the voltage on your new battery. A new CR2032 should show about 3.3V.

Comment

Reverse polarity worked!

I've had the same issue for about a week - a week of frustration. I just read the revese polarity trick and my HRM mow works! Thanks!

Comment

TEXMURPHY, thanks a lot! It works now!

Comment

Originally posted by TEXMURPHY View Post
          Reset the HRM by inserting the battery reversed, then reinsert the battery correctly. Next wearing the HRM, do a rescan.
          If that does not help, check the voltage on your new battery. A new CR2032 should show about 3.3V.
          You are a dead set legend. I was just about to purchase a new HRM. I tried your trick and now my HRM1G is working like new again with my Edge 500.
          Last edited by Trial_Master; 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Reversing battery fixed my awol HR sensor issues also. Thx

Comment

This worked for me too. I was thinking the edge 500 firmware upgrade might have messed up the heart rate monitor somehow. No worries now - thanks!

Comment

This is interesting, but not enough for me to undo the four tiny screws on mine to see how the battery compartment is constructed (mine works with no problems so far).

Typically most battery compartments for this style battery will not be electrically connected to the plus and minus terminals of the battery when you flip it. They would only be connected to the positive side when flipped. Ergo, you wouldn't get reverse polarity. You would however get a direct connection or short that might allow some capacitor to discharge.

However I certainly can't argue with the obvious success of doing this.
                I'm just a forum member....
                I am not affiliated with Garmin other than I own some of their products. For all practical purposes this is a member-to-member help forum.

For Garmin Support from Garmin Employees go here --> Garmin Support Website To make suggestions to Garmin or just to rant go here --> Submit Ideas to Garmin

Comment

You would however get a direct connection or short that might allow some capacitor to discharge.
                  This is actually what you are doing when you reverse the polarity on the battery. This resets the transmitter ID. You can achieve the same thing by shorting the contacts with a small screwdriver, which is what I used to do with my Suunto.

Comment

This is actually what you are doing when you reverse the polarity on the battery
                    I guess my disagreement comes in calling this reverse polarity. It's not it's just shorting the circuit. If I reverse the battery polarity, then I'm actually connecting the positive side of the battery to the negative terminal and the negative side of the battery to the positive terminal, which as I stated previously can't happen with the way most battery compartments for this type battery are made.

I don't doubt the success people are having by doing this, but let's correct why it's happening so bogus reasons don't prevail.
                    I'm just a forum member....
                    I am not affiliated with Garmin other than I own some of their products. For all practical purposes this is a member-to-member help forum.

For Garmin Support from Garmin Employees go here --> Garmin Support Website To make suggestions to Garmin or just to rant go here --> Submit Ideas to Garmin

Comment

I have same problem !
                      Don't worry about that just reinsert your battery but make sure put it properly so that you can't face this problem again.
                      Heart Rate Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by VOICERESPONSE View Post
                        I guess my disagreement comes in calling this reverse polarity. It's not it's just shorting the circuit. If I reverse the battery polarity, then I'm actually connecting the positive side of the battery to the negative terminal and the negative side of the battery to the positive terminal, which as I stated previously can't happen with the way most battery compartments for this type battery are made.

I don't doubt the success people are having by doing this, but let's correct why it's happening so bogus reasons don't prevail.
                        You're correct. The battery compartment is constructed so that reversing the *battery* does not actually apply reverse potential to the contacts; it merely shorts them together. It is required that installing the battery backwards in any consumer device does not cause a safety hazard, and a mechanical solution is both cheaper and more effective than an electrical one.

Actually connecting reverse potential to the battery contacts will damage both the battery and the electronics, but this cannot be done with a standard 2032 and unmodified battery contacts.

Comment

I had the same problem, HRM not being recognised even after changing the battery. I took the battery out and reversed it as suggested, and this has the effect of shorting accross the device terminals but not sending current the wrong way through the device, as the outer casing of the battery provides the short circuit. I didn't think this would work, but when I put the battery in the correct way, the Edge 500 immediately recognised the HRM. At first the HR reading was incorrect, but after a rescan it is all working correctly again. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I had a similar problem but couldn't get the heart monitor to read the signal for more than an hour before losing the signal. I have an edge 800 cycle computer and a 910xt triathlon watch and it happens to both devices, I then bought a new strap/hr monitor and it worked fine for a month and then started doing the same thing. I have put a new battery in and washed the strap. Any ideas, very frustrating.

Comment

My garmin edge500 softstrap hr monitor stopped working also.
                              I took the battery out waited 60 seconds- then inserted upside down- waited another 60 seconds and finally reinserted it properly.
                              I put the hr strap on and turned the edge500- but it still wont recognizer the HR monitor.
                              when other talk of a re-scan what exactly is that and how do you do it?
                              also any other suggestions? this thing is only a few months old ?

Comment

Working...
                              X