No announcement yet.

Looking for 2.6

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 2.6

If anyone kept a copy and would be kind enough to make it available it would sure be appreciated. Thanks.
    Currently own Nuvi 40LM, Etrex Vista, Etrex Vista HCX, Etrex 30, Forerunner50, Edge 500, Edge 800 and use MapSource, Basecamp, various Garmin and OSM mapping resources, JaWaVa mapping tools and ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver

1+
    Kind regards
    Morten Lassen, Denmark | Edge 1000 | FR920XT | Vivoactive |

Comment

I could sure use it too!

Comment

Ya make it available so that I can use it too.
        Garmin India Maps

Comment

I didn't get version 2.70, no loss, given the mess it caused.

Version 2.40 is the last version where courses "work", at least the map doesn't disappear. But it has other issues...

Once you download the file to someplace on your PC:

1. Plug the 500 into the PC.
          2. Once the 500 is ready, copy the file to the Garmin subdirectory on your unit, renaming it to gupdate.gcd. The 500 will appear as another drive in explorer, for me, it's drive E:
          3. Save your Settings\Settings.fit, Elevations\Elevations.fit, and possibly the Sports\Cycling.fit files so that you don't need to reenter all that data after the firmware update. (copy them back to the PC). These files are located in the various sub-directories under the Garmin folder. Note, updating the firmware doesn't usually mess with these files (a 'full reset' normally proscribed by Garmin support does).
          4. Safely remove the 500 from the PC.
          5. Power up the 500. If you are loading an older level firmware, it will ask you to verify you want to do this.
          6. Let it update. This may take a while, be patient. Be very patient. Very.
          7. Once the update completes, power the 500 back down.
          8. Reattach to the PC and restore the files saved in step 3.
          9. Safely remove the 500 from the PC.
          10. Power up the 500, rescan for HRM, GSC-10, other devices, and re-pair them.

A warning from Garmin:

If updating from a software version prior to 3.00 the Edge 500 must scan all files stored on the device during the update. This can cause the update process to take up to 15 minutes for devices with a large number of files on their device. You may see a delay at the 'Validating SW Update' screen and when powering on the device for the first time after the update is complete. To reduce this time, please remove older activity files from your device before updating.

Version 3.3 firmware

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
          - Added Vector power sensor support.
          - 'aweatherall' reports this change that may be beneficial to all power meter users:

The Edge 500 will pop up a message dialogue when it first finds a power meter that it has been paired with asking the user if they want to perform a calibration “Yes/No”. This will allows power meter users to quickly perform a calibration operation at the start of a ride without having to navigate down through the many layers of menu structure to get to the calibration operation.

Version 3.20 firmware

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.20:
          - Fixed display of power meter serial numbers.
          - Made changes to support manufacturing.

Version 3.00 firmware

Changes from 2.80 to 3.00:
          -Added two additional training pages.
          -Added various power-related data fields, including left and right balance for supported power meters, Normalized Power (NP), Intensity Factor (IF), Training Stress Score (TSS), maximum lap power, last lap power, and Watts/kg power.
          -Improved support for power-based workouts.
          -Added the ability to modify the FTP value and to recalculate the power zones based on the new FTP value.
          -Made improvements to the power meter calibration process.
          -Fixed an issue where Auto Zero was incorrectly displayed as an option when paired to the PowerTap hub.
          -Improved the calculation of elevation gain/loss.
          -Improved the calculation of time behind on the Virtual Partner page.
          -Fixed various issues with viewing activities in history.
          -Fixed various issues related to courses.
          -Fixed various other issues.
          -Updated translations.

A comment by Texmurphy:
          I have been happy staying on v2.80, but you may want to go further back if you are a big user of Courses.
          Big thing about v3.00 is there are differences in the Garmin/Settings/Settings.fit so you cannot save/reuse your current screen data field layouts. So write down how you have your fields laid out before downgrading.
          If you are using ElevationPoints, they have not changed format, so save your Elevations/Elevations.fit.
          Actually you should save a complete copy of your <device>:/Garmin/ to an archive directory on your pc anyway as best practice.
          Then before you upgrade, be sure to remove (delete) all activities in your Garmin/Activities folder and all courses in your Garmin/Courses folder.

Version 2.80 firmware

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
          -Fixed issue causing multiple heart rate monitors to be found.
          -Fixed a speed display issue in history, speed zone setup, and workouts.

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
          -Added one second recording setting. Located at Menu -> Settings -> Bike Settings -> Data Rec. -> Data Recording.
          -Fixed issue causing ANT sensors to not pair as expected when switching between bike profiles.
          -Fixed display issues while editing %FTP, %HRR, and %HR Max in a workout step.
          -Fixed a display issue with the elevation value in a saved elevation point.

Version 2.60 firmware

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:
          -Improved course performance and corrected an issue that could cause some courses to stop processing.
          -Added a torque reading to the calibration page for PowerTap power meters.
          -Improved Auto Pause behavior.
          -Improved auto wheel calibration especially for PowerTap power meters.
          -Improved correlation of speed sensor data and GPS data.
          -Totals can now be cleared.
          -Corrected an issue that could prevent an Activity from being reset.
          -Prevent an incorrect date/time from being displayed.
          -Improved battery gauge readings.
          -Removed DeleteFiles folder.

Version 2.40 firmware

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
          -Fixed issue that was causing unit freezes on manual and auto laps
          -Fixed issue that was causing missing activities after reset
          -Fixed issue that was causing missing laps and bad timestamps in activities
          -Fixed issue causing large elevation readings to be recorded in activities that created errors when uploaded to Garmin Connect
          -Improved smart recording
          -Added a Statute UK setting that sets distance to miles, speed to mph, elevation to meters and temperature to Celsius
          -Fixed issues related to editing workouts
          -Fixed issues with 'Repeat Until' in workouts
          -Implemented a prompt if the timer is not reset after 4 hours to remind the user to reset
          -Corrections to ANT wheel speed, size and auto calibration with PT hubs
          -Course Map Zooming -> The device now pops up a page on the course map with the light key like is done for the course scaling. This page will allow the user to set the zooming to auto or to some set zoom level.
          -Updated the Start Notice feature to alert the user any time the timer is not running if set to Repeat
          -Fixed issue causing elapsed time to not be calculated correctly
          -Delete Garmin software update files after updates are complete
          -Updated translations

------

Also, here's a zip file necessary for restoring the filesystem on the Edge 500.

MAKE SURE YOU READ Alan's POST BEFORE PROCEEDING!!!! There is NO need to perform the actions described unless the device is completely BRICKED and you have NO OTHER alternative.

Here's another zip file for recovering the 500 after a failed upgrade

Some info from KWGNAGEY on using the zip file

I had a similar issue when following the Note file (see below) from RENSSELAER80 link. I had to rename the Updater file to "updater.exe" and I skipped step #3. Once I dropped "Edge_500_v300.rgn" into "updater.exe" and followed the prompts my device was recognized.

1. Please extract the ZIP to a folder on your computer. (ZIP file is attached).
          2. You should see two files, which are Edge_500_v300.rgn and Updater.exe. (the zip file has the 2nd file renamed with an exex extension, rename it back to Updater.exe)
          3. Now, with the device powered Off, hold the power button and connect the device to the computer with the USB cable, then continue holding power button for 30 seconds.
          4. Drop the file Edge_500_v300.rgn onto Updater.exe and select USB Device and click OK. Note: you must perform this step within 10 seconds of the previous step and continue to hold up on the click stick until you see "Loader" on the display. Also, you should not unplug the USB cable until the software has finished loading.
          5. Wait until the device finishes loading software and re-enters mass storage mode.
          6. Now you should be able to disconnect the device and power it on like normal and it should have SW version 3.00 loaded.
          Last edited by RENSSELAER80; 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM. Reason: 3.30 firmware

Comment

Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!

You've got to wonder why Garmin wouldn't make this easy. People have difficulty with firmware updates for a variety or reasons. 2.7 has created "multiple HR monitors detected" aggravation. (and also a heart rate monitor that 's not mine when I'm not using one) Course freezes that were no longer a problem. The long anticipated 1 second recording sure isn't a sufficient upside for me.

Toss in the Training Center update cluster and you've got to scratch your head
            Last edited by bbrannon; 05-12-2011, 05:43 AM.
            Currently own Nuvi 40LM, Etrex Vista, Etrex Vista HCX, Etrex 30, Forerunner50, Edge 500, Edge 800 and use MapSource, Basecamp, various Garmin and OSM mapping resources, JaWaVa mapping tools and ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver

Comment

I'm 2.60ing again. Thanks.

Remember to backup you settings before rolling back. It does wipe them, screens, bikes etc. on roll back. I know that for sure It does not wipe out the history and courses.

**Save your Settings.fit, Elevations.fit, and possibly the Cycling.fit files so that you don't need to reenter all that data after the firmware update.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRANNON View Post
                and also a heart rate monitor that 's not mine when I'm not using one
                Yeah, I'm getting that one. You really have to wonder what they are doing with firmware. Maybe they'll get it right with 2.8?

Comment

Originally posted by BBRANNON View Post
                  I'm 2.60ing again. Thanks.

Remember to backup you settings before rolling back. It does wipe them, screens, bikes etc. on roll back. I know that for sure It does not wipe out the history and courses.

**Save your Settings.fit, Elevations.fit, and possibly the Cycling.fit files so that you don't need to reenter all that data after the firmware update.
                  Just "updated" from 2.7 to 2.6. The 500 asked all the setup questions and I answered them located satellites (for time/date set) and re-hooked to my Mac. I then copied the old cycling.fit, elevations.fit and settings.fit files back to their folders (overwriting the newer files).

Are all my settings back to the way they were and is it paired with my HR strap and GSC-10? Or do I need to re-pair them?

Comment

Originally posted by JULIEN321 View Post
                    Just "updated" from 2.7 to 2.6. The 500 asked all the setup questions and I answered them located satellites (for time/date set) and re-hooked to my Mac. I then copied the old cycling.fit, elevations.fit and settings.fit files back to their folders (overwriting the newer files).

Are all my settings back to the way they were and is it paired with my HR strap and GSC-10? Or do I need to re-pair them?
                    It found my HR strap right away. Don't know about the GSC-10. That's hiding in the basement on the trainer seeking shelter from this spring's endless rain in in Ohio. I figure the 10 is pretty useless on the road until they enable selection for it to be the primary source for speed and distance. Then the 500 will be a useful tool for mtbs in the woods as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JULIEN321 View Post

You need to rescan for your sensors. If you don't, sure, it will "find" your sensors since they're the only ones around when you're by yourself, but the day you turn it on and happen to be in the vicinity of other sensors, it'll be hit-or-miss whether it "finds" yours or someone else's first (or give you the message that multiple sensors are found). A lot of people mistakenly think it's re-paired just because it starts displaying data, and only find out otherwise when in the situation described above.

Comment

Thanks for your help here guys. Have rolled back to 2.6 successfully after having the same HRM problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RACINGHEART View Post
                          A lot of people mistakenly think it's re-paired just because it starts displaying data, and only find out otherwise when in the situation described above.
                          it's true; I'm one of them. During the first use the Edge 500 saved the HR of a friend of mine.

Comment

Sorry if this is a dumb question but technology is not my strongest point.

How do I use the 2.60 link kindly provided by RENSSELAER80 to roll back from 2.70

Step by step (or as close to) would be fantastic.

Comment

HR monitor reset

Hey all that are rolling back to 2.6, according to tech support - RESET YOUR HR MONITOR, take the battery out, put back in backwards for 10 seconds, take out and wait a few moments then put the battery in the right way and it will reset the HR monitor and then go to settings to re-scan your HR monitor. If you don't you will off the wall HR settings.

They also suggested to update the Garmin communicator plug in......
                              Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X