Edge 500 Mount Failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge 500 Mount Failure

So, my Edge 500 died today...kinda....it flew off of the bike mount, and at first I thought that the bike mount had failed. Actually, what happened was that the bottom of the actual Edge 500 failed! The "lips" (which engage the bike mount) on the underside of the Edge 500 broke off, causing it to fly off of the bike mount. I have returned it to the shop where I purchased it, hoping that they can get me some rythym with Garmin to get a replacement....we'll see.

I have heard of 3-4 failures exactly like this. Hopefully, it is a bad run of manufacturing rather than an inherent weakness in the design. Garmin should replace these failures under warranty. A friend used a couple of cable ties around the stem and Edge to work around the problem.

Comment

It is possible to "half mount" the Edge 500. Meaning that only one of the two tabs engages the mount.
      The Edge will appear non-level on the mount. I think such a situation may stress the tabs, especially if there is rough handling to correct the situation.

Comment

BOTH tabs on the underside of the Edge 500 broke off! (It was NOT half-mounted)

Comment

This is the second report like this I've seen. It sure sounds like a manufacturing defect that Garmin should make good on.
          Ron

Comment

On or off road?

Out of interest, were you using it on the road or on a mountain bike, or a combination of the two. I can imagine it happening (although I wouldnt expect it) if you were constantly bumping over tree roots and rocks, but would be pretty worried it it were only used on the road.

Comment

The first-hand report I saw was a friend who only rides road and really looks after his kit. It failed within the first month or two, just with regular road riding.

Comment

I use it STRICTLY for road riding; I do exchange it between 2 road bikes...I am meticulous with my bike maintenance. I am a relatively lightweight rider
                (140#) and although occasionally rough tarmac is unavoidable, I would hardly say it qualifies as Paris-Roubaix! Preliminary indications are that Garmin is going to warranty it...I will know more in a few days.

Comment

Another 500 mount fails

Originally posted by VELOBOB View Post
                  So, my Edge 500 died today...kinda....it flew off of the bike mount, and at first I thought that the bike mount had failed. Actually, what happened was that the bottom of the actual Edge 500 failed! The "lips" (which engage the bike mount) on the underside of the Edge 500 broke off, causing it to fly off of the bike mount. I have returned it to the shop where I purchased it, hoping that they can get me some rythym with Garmin to get a replacement....we'll see.
                  Add another to the list. My 500 flew off as I was coasting down a bridge. Heard something rattle as I was descending and when I started pedaling again looked down to check my speed and my 500 was gone. Luckily it was very early on Sunday and traffic was light. I was able to find my unit and stuck it in my back pocket. When I got to the start for our group ride I realized I could not re-mount it because both "tabs" had broken and were still in the mount.

Waiting to hear what Garmin support has to offer. Mine was purchased in January and is used on my road race bike, no offroad bikes or use.

Comment

Originally posted by UKBLOKE View Post
                    I have heard of 3-4 failures exactly like this. Hopefully, it is a bad run of manufacturing rather than an inherent weakness in the design. Garmin should replace these failures under warranty. A friend used a couple of cable ties around the stem and Edge to work around the problem.
                    I also hope the problems are due to a bad run/batch. I've had mine since March and have logged almost 6000 kms with no issues. The real test will come in subzero temps in the winter. I know plastic can become brittle in extreme cold so if there is any design weakness I will probably find out.

Incidentally the new Edge 800 uses the same mounts as those of the 500. Since the 800 is bigger and heavier I wonder if broken tab issues will occur more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by CYCLOCOMMUTER View Post
                      Incidentally the new Edge 800 uses the same mounts as those of the 500. Since the 800 is bigger and heavier I wonder if broken tab issues will occur more frequently.
                      I saw this in DC Rainmaker's in-depth review comments:

RE: Plastic tabs

Actually, it's a slightly different design. These are screwed into the unit. Though, they take a bit of finagling to get back in the holes - but once in there, it's snug
                      I think this means that the part that has broken on the Edge 500 is replaceable. Of course that's small consolation when your new Edge 800 falls off the bike, crashes on the pavement and gets run over by a semi! But maybe they've beefed up the tabs too. Maybe these expensive GPS devices should have an additional safety leash? My helmet camera does for example.

Comment

Well, today I picked up my Warranty-replaced Edge 500! Transferred my previous settings (data screen set-ups, user info, etc.) and will take it for it's inaugural cruise tommorrow morning. Garmin to the rescue!
                        I'm happy; hopefully the mounting tabs on this unit are more stout....time will tell

Comment

Add another one to the list. Funny how all these just suddenly start to fail. I've had mine since the beginning of the year. Maybe the first set had a batch that fails after 6 months?

Coincidentally, it just had a problem where it wouldn't power on. Even when trying to sync, the software doesn't even recognize the Garmin. Well, at least I have an RMA number, so I will be sending it in. Wonder if I'll get it back by the time I do Knoxville at the end of the month.

Comment

Well, found out how to get it to power back on ... hit Power/Light, Page/Menu, and Lap/Reset buttons simultaneously. Guess it would help if I read the manual every once in a while?

Comment

This morning I realized that also mine broke!
                              One of the rear tabs is cut. The tab remained on the support groove.
                              Did they change your unit under warranty?

Comment

Working...
                              X