Heart Rate Monitor Showing False Reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Rate Monitor Showing False Reading

My HRM was working perfectly until my last three or four rides, when it showed a very high reading at the start of the ride, thereafter it is accurate. I have read that this problem can be caused by flapping clothing but in my case this cannot apply as I have always worn the same tight fitting lycra short sleeved summer jersey without any jacket. The HRM had always been wetted the same way, with water. Any solutions would be welcome.

Originally posted by RODBOYCE View Post
    My HRM was working perfectly until my last three or four rides, when it showed a very high reading at the start of the ride, thereafter it is accurate. I have read that this problem can be caused by flapping clothing but in my case this cannot apply as I have always worn the same tight fitting lycra short sleeved summer jersey without any jacket. The HRM had always been wetted the same way, with water. Any solutions would be welcome.
    I have experienced this when only wearing certain of my short-sleeved jerseys when riding. I suspect is has to do with the composition of the fabric in the jersey as some of mine cause this problem, others don't. I have also found that I do not experience this when wearing a baselayer underneath the jersey.

So, the way I've solved this problem is as follows: (Assuming its too hot outside to wear a baselayer) I've cut out a piece of fabric roughly 4" x 4" square (composition is just a simple piece of old boxer shorts or undreshirt-primarily a cotton garment), wetted my HR strap and chest as I usually do, install the strap on my chest (as I normally do) and then take the small piece of cloth / fabric and wrap it around only the center portion (the sending unit portion-not the left and right electrodes) of my HR strap (I'm using the 'older' strap). The size usually allows for 2 - 2 1/2 full wraps around the sending unit.

That's it-very simple solution that works 100% for me-no more false HR readings, no additional heat from wearing a baselayer as all I'm doing is protecting the strap 'locally' wear the problem occurs (thus 'preventing' impact from a jersey onto the sending unit). The cause is up for debate-the solution works regardless of the 'theoretical cause'.

Hope this helps.

(PS I have no experience with the premium strap, but assume the same simple approach will work just as effectively there also...).

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. What I don't understand is that I have worn the same jersey for all the rides, some of which recorded correct HRM readings and some that didn't. I look forward to seeing if your suggestion works.

Comment

My HRM was working perfectly until my last three or four rides, when it showed a very high reading at the start of the ride, thereafter it is accurate.
        What are the readings you're seeing?
        What would it be normally?
        How long did the high readings last?
        Ron

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. What I don't understand is that I have worn the same jersey for all the rides, some of which recorded correct HRM readings and some that didn't. I look forward to seeing if your suggestion works.
          My jersey's did the same thing (sometimes did it, other times didn't). I've traced it back to the right combination of wind direction / speed, and/or speed of descent causing my shirt to flap just right against the sending unit (just my theory).

Comment

All you need is conductivity gel.

Comment

The high readings are in the range 250bpm they should be showing about 120bpm. It is always at the start of the ride. After about 5 to 10 minutes the reading is correct. Even though the shirt is still flapping.

Comment

Try saliva instead of water.

Comment

Why is this still being discussed when i`ve told you what you need to solve the problem?
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lectron-II-C.../dp/B002AQC49C

Comment

Ongoing erratic hr

I have the premium strap which worked fine for the first 10 rides. Then high spikes(false) would occur usually after 1 hour of riding. I have always used electro gel and in 20 years of different hr monitors usage, this never occurred. I tried the 4" wrap of the sending unit which worked for two rides but now the spikes are even more frequent.
                    As much as I enjoy the GPS, I expect a reliable hr function.
                    GARMIN please come up with a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by ANTFLY View Post
                      Why is this still being discussed when i`ve told you what you need to solve the problem?
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lectron-II-C.../dp/B002AQC49C
                      I use this on my Forerunner 110 (when I use it cycling) and still get the same issue. Will try wrapping fabric around the middle bit as suggested

Comment

I've seen this effect over the years, with various brands of heart rate monitors. I've never been able to solve the problem just by improving the contacts (i.e. gel, water, or saliva). My guess is that it is caused by static electricity interference with the HRM's wireless transmitter, or general interference with the electronics. I've also observed that different jersies seem to interfere more.
                        One thing you can try is to wet your jersey near the transmitter, with a quick spray from your water bottle, to try to reduce the static interference.
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by SMHAGGER707 View Post
                          I've cut out a piece of fabric roughly 4" x 4" square (composition is just a simple piece of old boxer shorts or undreshirt-primarily a cotton garment), wetted my HR strap and chest as I usually do, install the strap on my chest (as I normally do) and then take the small piece of cloth / fabric and wrap it around only the center portion (the sending unit portion-not the left and right electrodes) of my HR strap (I'm using the 'older' strap). The size usually allows for 2 - 2 1/2 full wraps around the sending unit.
                          Tried this last night and it worked (although it was that windy). Will keep doing this and hopefully it will continue to work.

Comment

new premium heartrate-strap...

i also have constant problems with the premium heartrate-strap. Times of very high values make it impossible to check my maximum heartrate.

that phenomenon isnt affected wether i user water or electrode-gel under the strap or not. it simply occures on every second ride i do.

now i saw that garmin announced a new heartrate-strap with the edge 800 and i wonder if i should call the support and ask for a change for my (1 1/2 month old) "premium" strap.

Comment

I agree that some jerseys seem to intefere so perhaps it's the jersey. It`s a perrenial problem though with all HRMS, especially at the start of the ride and all you can do is try and reduce the chances of it happening. You can still see your max HR for each lap.

Comment

Working...
                              X