Edge 200 Continual GPS Signal Loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge 200 Continual GPS Signal Loss

Hi, I've been using an Edge 200 for 6 months without any problems. However, about a week ago it suddenly started losing the GPS signal on a regular basis, and it takes about 3 miles before it re-acquires. Also, I have noticed that the changes in speed are being reflected significantly slower than previously, and I often see a significant decrease in speed for about 30 seconds while I'm actually increasing in speed on the bike.

I have tried a master reset, and also left the device outside for half-an hour to ensure it has a good signal lock. The signal loss is occurring in areas where I have a wide open view of the sky.

Can the sensors in these units go faulty after a time? I haven;t damaged the unit, as far as I'm aware.

Any advice on this issue would be appreicated.

Many thanks,

Jeff.

How much history is stored on the unit?

Look in the Garmin\Activites folder on the Edge when it is connected to a PC.
    - Alan

Comment

Hi Alan, I cleared the history file down shortly after the problems started appearing. I also did a master reset. Up to that point it was quite full, but it only has 10 fit files in that folder now.

Jeff.

Comment

Do you have any courses or anything in the Garmin\NewFiles folder?
        - Alan

Comment

Hi Alan, the Garmin\NewFiles folder is currently empty.

Jeff.

Comment

You could try rebuilding the file system on the Edge.

Copy any activities or courses off the Edge that you would want to restore. They can be found in
            Garmin\Activities
            Garmin\Courses

Next using the PC right click on the Edge and select "Format". Use FAT and switch the quick format off.

Once the Edge disk has been reformatted unpack the attached zip file and copy the contents to the Edge disk. Unmount from the PC and switch it on. Place outside for 10 minutes or so to rebuild the GPS satellite cache.

Reconnect to the PC and restore any activities or courses that you saved.

Edge200_FS.zip
            - Alan

Comment

Hi Alan, many thanks for your reply. I have just followed your instructions. It will be another four or five hours before I can take it outside to test it. However, when I switched the device on, I did notice that it gave me the "Position Acquired" message after about 10 seconds, quicker than it has done since I first had it.

I'll let you know how I get on once I've had chance to test it properly.

Regards,

Jeff.

Comment

Hi Alan, I have just tried the device on a short run. It does seem to have resolved the continual signal loss problem, however, the speedometer is still sluggish and incorrect. When I stop on the bike it takes between 20-30 seconds before the speed drops to the point where it auto pauses, and occasionally, when stopped, the speed only drops to 2mph and won't auto pause. Similarly when speeding up, it takes about 20 seconds before it begins to register close to the actual speed. There is definitely a significant degradation in the device performance compared to just over a week ago.

Is it worth attempting the format and reset again?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff.

Comment

You could try re-installing the software using the web updater.

Otherwise I think you have tried everything.

You can try repeating the formating and reset, but I'm not sure if you will see any change.
                  You may need to see if Garmin support has any suggestions.

Non-Prompted Non-vol clear -
                  Press LAP + START/STOP + MENU while powering the device on. Hold the 3 buttons
                  simultaneously until the screen goes blank (very quick process). Then let up on the
                  buttons and the unit will clear. This clears out settings plus current history that has not
                  been finished or completed. It does not remove any of your old history. The non-
                  prompted clear is performed prior to FIT initialization, so it allows you to cleanup things
                  that would prevent the unit from starting up normally, such as bad settings, bad current
                  history, or etc.

Prompted Non-Vol Clear
                  Hold down the LAP key while powering on the device.
                  - Alan

Comment

Hi Alan, thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it. I used the web updater to check the status of the device's software, and it was up to date. However, I did carry out a reinstall anyway. I also tried the prompted and non-prompted clears, but the problem still remains.

The only thing I can think of is that I must have damaged the unit somewhere along the way. I also tried Garmin support, and they suggested the master reset, which I'd already done.

Regards,

Jeff.

Comment

reoccuring GPS signal loss after Update of Garmin EDGE 205 using web updater

I have very similar problems with my Garmin EDGE 205 after installing last software update of garmin on my device using webupdater at 8.6.2013.

I have also installed the new chipset Edge205_305GPSChipset_290 on my device.

The device loses the GPS signal after few seconds or minutes. Power off and power onagain seems to solve the signal lost immediately. But the signal loss reoccurres very often and after short time again and again.

Is there a software bug in the lastest software release distributed by the webupdater ? Is there a problem using the new chipsetfiles for gps-unit ?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                      X