Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Segments converted to course points while riding a course?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segments converted to course points while riding a course?

Occasionally when following a saved course (downloaded with connectiq strava routes app) I noticed that the start and finish of some Strava segments on that course appear on the course point screen as course points and the 1030 will flawlessly show me the distance and time to go for all those points. (so practically very often the start and top of climbs) I'm very happy with this functionality but would like to know a little bit more how this exactly works. I cannot find any documentation about it so maybe someone here can answer my questions.

- I noticed that only starred segments appear on the course, which is good but do these segments appear on the list because they are in my Edge's memory anyway as a Strava live segment or are they someway embedded in the Strava route file and is it Strava that includes those course points in the course file?. (Similar like you could do with the Garmin Segments in the past)
    - Can this functionality be used with other downloaded courses? and if so do we need to do anything special or do we need to use a specific format (Fit, TCX, GPX) to enable this.

Thanks,

Eric

The Strava segments are embedded in to the Course FIT file by the Strava Route App (the work is done on a web platform that the app calls). The web platform takes a course created on Strava and overlays your stared segments on it. If a segment lies on the course it adds a course point for the segment start and end points in the file along with the UUID of the segment.

Because this is done on the web platform loading files from other sources or other formats on to the Edge will not get segments added to those files.
    - Alan

Comment

Thanks, clear answer. But that also means that people without Strava Summit also have this feature. (You don't need Live Segments)
      Thanks,

Eric

Comment

I'm not sure how Strava have changed their API's with their new tiered services. Before the change you needed the premium service to get the segments.
        - Alan

Comment

Working...
        X