Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get Strava-Segments on your Edge 1000

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to get Strava-Segments on your Edge 1000

    I'm proud to present you a tool I've been working on for the last two weeks:
    http://gniza.org/segments/

    Whats the purpose:
    Get Strava Segments on your Edge 1000.

    How does it work:
    - Find the desired Strava Segment and copy its URL or ID
    - Paste the URL/Id to my tool and choose the leaderboard entries you like
    - Generate/Export the FIT-File and put it onto your Edge in the directory Garmin/NewFiles
    - Power on the Edge

    Please note: This is a private project, nobody is funding me and there will be bugs and inconveniences.
    And currently all units are metric and the german date/time format is used!

    I think I'll have a internationalization option after the next weekend.

    But you can already use it, even if your Edge is set to imperial units. (The generated fit file is not influenced by the units displayed in my tool)

  • #2
    Originally posted by BENNIG. View Post
    I'm proud to present you a tool I've been working on for the last two weeks:
    http://gniza.org/segments/

    Whats the purpose:
    Get Strava Segments on your Edge 1000.

    How does it work:
    - Find the desired Strava Segment and copy its URL or ID
    - Paste the URL/Id to my tool and choose the leaderboard entries you like
    - Generate/Export the FIT-File and put it onto your Edge in the directory Garmin/NewFiles
    - Power on the Edge

    Please note: This is a private project, nobody is funding me and there will be bugs and inconveniences.
    And currently all units are metric and the german date/time format is used!

    I think I'll have a internationalization option after the next weekend.

    But you can already use it, even if your Edge is set to imperial units. (The generated fit file is not influenced by the units displayed in my tool)
    Fantastic! Many thanks for putting this together - I will try it out later today.

    Do you know if it would be possible to build a fit file that contained both a course/route and segments?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by IANBLACKBUTN View Post
      Do you know if it would be possible to build a fit file that contained both a course/route and segments?
      Yes, thats already on my roadmap. I already know what to do, but I'll need some time to implement this. Basically you just need to insert some special kind of Course Points referring the segment name and id at the right position. I'll need to find out where exactly to place this points (right at the segment start or X meters before the segment start) and do a lot of testing..

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BENNIG. View Post
        Yes, thats already on my roadmap. I already know what to do, but I'll need some time to implement this. Basically you just need to insert some special kind of Course Points referring the segment name and id at the right position. I'll need to find out where exactly to place this points (right at the segment start or X meters before the segment start) and do a lot of testing..
        That's great. If you need help testing I am more than happy to help.

        Ideally it would be great if you could build a route in say RideWithGps then export it. Use your tool to either draw on some segments or import from Strava then export to the Edge 1000. That would be my preference but everyone would have their own approach I guess

        Cheers

        Ian

        Comment


        • #5
          Great job! THX.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IANBLACKBUTN View Post
            I will try it out later today.
            Just tried it out - certainly the import, select of Leaderboard people and the export worked perfectly. The segment I selected is now on my Edge 1000 - will try and test it out on the bike asap.

            Comment


            • #7
              Dude, you rock!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by IANBLACKBUTN View Post
                Ideally it would be great if you could build a route in say RideWithGps then export it. Use your tool to either draw on some segments or import from Strava then export to the Edge 1000. That would be my preference but everyone would have their own approach I guess
                Yes, I think the most difficult part will be meeting the user requirements since nearly every user has different preferences
                My current plan is:
                • Allow upload of FIT, TCX and GPX files containing a course (I'll have to check if for example the File of a previous activity may be used for embedding segments. Garmin provides a Virtual Partner on such courses based on a previous activity, using such a course and Segments at the same time might get into each others way)
                • Search matching Segments on Strava for the given course bounds. (The Strava-Api only allows you to provide a given "rectangle" to search in. Unfortunately you cant just provide the course as GPS-Path, which would exclude Segments not exactly on your course)
                • Match found Segments to your recent segments in my tool. (This is just for convenience reasons, so you don't have to configure these segments again)
                • Find Segments that are really on the track and not just anywhere near the track
                • Allow the user to choose which segments to embed. (A map of the track and the chosen segments would be nice, I'll see if that is possible)
                • Export the track AND the segments as FIT-Files, since the track does not really completely contain the segment but only a reference to it.


                As you can see there is a lot of work and some "magic" to do
                It would be nice if you would briefly describe which segments you are interested in. For example, is it really necessary to search all Strava Segements in the course bounds or do users usually already have all desired Segments in their list of recent segments? In my case the latter is true but I rarely use the course-feature of the Edge and the times I use it I'm usually not interested in riding segments, but this is just my preference

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for this, its superb!

                  One question, I notice that you present the segments in kmh although I prefer mph for speed and M for elevation. Does this affect how the information is presented when the segments appears on the Edge 1000? All my existing segments are mph and I don't want kmh.

                  Hope that makes sense?

                  But a fab bit of work, thanks for doing this.

                  Dex.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    All units in the FIT file are SI units. The Edge applies you local preference when it displays them.
                    - Alan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Super, will test tonight when I get home :-)

                      Thanks,

                      Dex

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DMCGLONE View Post
                        One question, I notice that you present the segments in kmh although I prefer mph for speed and M for elevation. Does this affect how the information is presented when the segments appears on the Edge 1000? All my existing segments are mph and I don't want kmh.
                        Originally posted by BENNIG. View Post
                        And currently all units are metric and the german date/time format is used![/B]
                        I think I'll have a internationalization option after the next weekend.
                        But you can already use it, even if your Edge is set to imperial units. (The generated fit file is not influenced by the units displayed in my tool)


                        And Alan is right all units in the FIT-File are more or less SI For example distance is measured in centimeters, altitude in a bit strange formula, but in meters.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think you meant meters and not centimeters for distance?
                          - Alan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I don't know why one would need that accuracy but at least for segments the distance is really for example "218482" for 2.18km. Seems they want to use every single bit of that uint32
                            For altitude of a point the formula is (altitude in meters + 500 ) * 5 => stored value. Thats a perfect way to use a unit16 (0-65535). An altitude below -500m is very unlikely, so is an altitude of more than 12,000 meters. And you get a resolution of 0.2m which would be more accurate than the barometric sensor.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Are talking about what Strava gives you or what is stored in the FIT file after it is build?
                              - Alan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X