ANT+ Axle speed sensor erratic

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANT+ Axle speed sensor erratic

Hi guys and girls,

my Garmin 1000 has started playing up with regards to speed. The last 4 trips I have been reaching speeds of 78mph!

I unpaired the sensor and re-paired it and once it calibrated the wheel size it was okay for maybe 30 minutes then it goes erratic again.

Just checked my wheel diameter and it is 700. The tyre is a 700 x 35. It has an automatic reading just now of 1575 which is far too small. Why does it keep reading wrong?! It is as of it keeps readjust the size of my wheel? Should I just set it manually to the circumference which would be 2199?

Any help would be great. Driving me mad!

Automatic setup is done by GPS. If the GPS coverage is not so good, your speed-setup fails.
    Yes, set it to „manually“ - it is the best setting anyway...
    My favourite Connect-IQ-Data Field for EDGE: DIY by easuvorov! GUIDANCE

Comment

Originally posted by mcinner1 View Post
      Automatic setup is done by GPS. If the GPS coverage is not so good, your speed-setup fails.
      Yes, set it to „manually“ - it is the best setting anyway...
      I set it to manual this morning and it had the same erratic behaviour. If I kept a constant speed the indicated speed would go all over the place. I disabled the sensor from my device so just using the GPS now and it works a treat.

Is my sensor knackered? Or is there a way to reset it? Got new batteries in it!

Comment

If it is the Garmin magnet-less speed sensor it could be that part of your drive chain is magnetized and that is causing the issue. The next time you ride outside try placing the sensor on the front hub and see how it behaves. If it works then that indicates some part of your drive chain has gotten magnetized,
        - Alan

Comment

Originally posted by aweatherall View Post
          If it is the Garmin magnet-less speed sensor it could be that part of your drive chain is magnetized and that is causing the issue. The next time you ride outside try placing the sensor on the front hub and see how it behaves. If it works then that indicates some part of your drive chain has gotten magnetized,
          Hi there,

it has only ever been on the front hub. I have been riding mainly canal path which has cables under it which create a magnetic field, would that interfere with it? Seems a bit excessive...

Comment

It could. The sensor works by detecting the movement of the sensor through the earth's magnetic field. A strong magnetic field could impact it.
            - Alan

Comment

Working...
            X