Sweat drops locking screen

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweat drops locking screen

Hi all.

I've just started using tri bars but am finding that with my head over the bars - and thus over the Garmin - dripping sweat landing on the device is causing havoc.

At best the drops change my screen and the touchscreen locks making it tricky to return to the screen I want to be on. At worse it scrolls through and changes settings!

Is there a way of completely locking the screen I want to be on so the dripping doesn't make a difference?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Go to the screen you want, hold the power button like you're turning the unit off, screen lock is at the top. Do the same to unlock it.

I had the problem once or twice that I think may have been caused by sweat and the fact that I had a screen protector film installed. I took the protector off mid-ride and have not seen it since. Do you have a screen protector installed?

Comment

As a work-around (that co$t$…) the Edge 1000 remote could be useful to you, especially when on the aero bars. I use it on stock road bars (mounted on the inner side of the right brake hood) to make it easy to switch screens, mark laps and stop / start without having to move my hands. It’s a marginal benefit, but I do use it a lot. One advantage thing is that it’s a lot quicker and more positive (less error prone than swiping the screen, especially with full-fingered gloves on) than interacting with either the touch screen or sometimes (for some reason) even the mechanical buttons on the head unit.

Comment

Originally posted by VeloManR View Post
        As a work-around (that co$t$…) the Edge 1000 remote could be useful to you, especially when on the aero bars. I use it on stock road bars (mounted on the inner side of the right brake hood) to make it easy to switch screens, mark laps and stop / start without having to move my hands. It’s a marginal benefit, but I do use it a lot. One advantage thing is that it’s a lot quicker and more positive (less error prone than swiping the screen, especially with full-fingered gloves on) than interacting with either the touch screen or sometimes (for some reason) even the mechanical buttons on the head unit.
        I do exactly this set up too... I only have the problem when its raining and combined with sweat. I have one of my buttons configured to go straight to the map - really useful for when descending etc so you get a bit of a warning of whats coming up next!

Comment

Originally posted by VeloManR View Post
          Same setup here. Works great, and I don't have to take my hands off the bars.
          Edge 1000, 2016 Cervelo C3 Ultegra Di2 – Zipp 303; 2016 Focus Mares CX Force 1 – Stans No Tubes Grail Team; 2017 All-City Nature Boy

Comment

Originally posted by DeanWette View Post
            Admittedly slightly off topic, but since you're talking about using the remote, does anyone have an opinion as to the affect on Edge 1000 battery consumption (e.g., is it significant) resulting from using the remote? And if the remote is connected to the E1000 (via ANT) would the Edge battery consumption be a function of the number of times you actually push one of the buttons on the remote? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by glassbergs View Post
              Admittedly slightly off topic, but since you're talking about using the remote, does anyone have an opinion as to the affect on Edge 1000 battery consumption (e.g., is it significant) resulting from using the remote? And if the remote is connected to the E1000 (via ANT) would the Edge battery consumption be a function of the number of times you actually push one of the buttons on the remote? Thank you.
              It's an ANT+ device. Others, like HR, Speed, Cadence, and Power monitors (I have all these) are feeding a lot of data to the Edge periodically (every second?), while the remote only needs to issue one of 5 command functions when a button is clicked. I would expect the Edge battery requirement for the remote is negligible, even for a century ride.
              Edge 1000, 2016 Cervelo C3 Ultegra Di2 – Zipp 303; 2016 Focus Mares CX Force 1 – Stans No Tubes Grail Team; 2017 All-City Nature Boy

Comment

Originally posted by DeanWette View Post
                So, if you lock the screen (to avoid the sweat drip issue) will the remote still function to change the screen? Or must the screen be unlocked for the remote to work? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by glassbergs View Post
                  So, if you lock the screen (to avoid the sweat drip issue) will the remote still function to change the screen? Or must the screen be unlocked for the remote to work? Thank you.
                  I tried that tonight (I never lock the screen normally). The remote functions still work when the screen is locked.

Comment

Working...
                  X