Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I get SC.exe pop-up when I start Win 7

This is relatively new problem for me. I get the annoying pop-up every time I start Win 7.

I traced it to Garmin Express. Is there a bug or is this a virus?

It''s a Garmin Express "feature"

You should read (all of) this existing thread.

How to kill Garmin update's "sc.exe"?
    nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Stuartmw,
      I have read that thread. It solves nothing. One moderator repeatedly blames it on local PC issues. Since that thread ran in Sep-Oct, and now is appearing again in Feb, I would suggest that the issue clearly lies with Garmin, since those of us experiencing the problem seem to have done nothing other than update our Garmin product. So far, I am less than impressed with the support / response that is coming back from Garmin.

Comment

This issue is a Windows User Account Control Issue but it can be worked around. Please see the Faq: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={86071930-4b17-11e3-f27b-000000000000}
        sigpic

Comment

Garmin update "sc.exe" issue

I am experiencing an issue with Garmin Express. Every time I start Windows 7, I get a UAC pop-up asking permission to run "c:/windows/system32/sc.exe" as part of the "Garmin Core Update Service." Clicking OK does not remove the issue, it is there everytime. This problem has been discussed in a previous topic: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ot-sc-exe-quot.
          However, unfortunately, this topic was closed rather abruptly after the moderator deemed the issue to be only of minor importance. Furthermore, the proposed fix (https://support.garmin.com/support/s...-000000000000}) is not a fix at all, but a workaround at best. It basically suggests to change the password setting of Windows to get rid of the issue. But what if I don't want to set a password on my own home PC? Customers should not need to adapt their setup just to make Garmin software work properly. It's a Garmin issue, don't make it into a Windows issue.
          I'm severly disappointed in how this issue is treated by Garmin and on this forum. No sign of a real fix, and a condescending attitude from the administrator to people who complain about the issue. This is not what a customer expects to find when he googles the issue and finds a topic about it. I strongly suggest Garmin to look into this issue. I suspect that it affects many people who don't even realize that it is cause by Garmin Express. (The fact that the UAC prompt is related to Garmin Express is only visible after the user clicked on "more details").

I hope that the issue is resolved soon, otherwise my next navigation equipment will not be a Garmin.

Comment

Same here, I've read multiple solutions, including this:

Windows Vista/7:
            1.Hold down the Windows key + R
            2.Type msconfig
            3.Select Normal startup under the general tab
            4.Click OK
            5.Restart the computer

But it doesn't help. I get it every time I restart my pc, and sometimes (I think it's when my FR620 is attached to the pc) I get it multiple times. It's VERY annoying, so please fix it!
            Last edited by SUSSAMB; 05-07-2014, 06:14 AM. Reason: Please try not to quote the post directly above yours, it clutters up the thread and makes it difficult to follow, thanks

Comment

SUSSAMB: You have only to follow the spirit of advice you provided under How to kill Garmin update's "sc.exe"?, a discussion regarding a persistent install pop-up triggered by Garmen Express. “A tool to aid in developing services for WindowsNT”
              Your helpful stance of 01/10/2014:

“There are about 25 folks who have posted in this thread, there are thousands who use these forums and many hundreds of thousands more who own Garmin GPS. At best it's a 'few' people having this problem. There are work arounds posted here and a Garmin FAQ to help those 'few'.

or on 01/21/2014:
              "Ok, so we now have about 30 ... and I accept there will be many more, but it's still only a very small minority. Unfortunately it seems that whatever the program, not just Garmin ones, Windows occasionally glitches ... I have some oddities on my Toshiba laptop that don't occur on my HP desktop, and vice versa. I suspect the hard truth is that Garmin software folk have enough to do and don't have the time to try to resolve issues only experienced by a small minority, however annoying the issue may be.

So the choice is either follow the advice in the FAQ or don't, and instead continue to use WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webu...wtoinstall.jsp) and GarminMapUpdater for PC. It's not as though you're dead in the water without Express.”’
              ………………..
              Despite the utilitarian effectiveness of the above responses, I found more helpful information elsewhere on the Web and feel SUSSAMB should shut down this thread.
              BTW, for the insignificantly few Win7 users haunted by the above pop-up, GE’s setting within System Configuration/Start-ups can be simply unclicked.
              Last edited by EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE; 04-29-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Just a post to say I'm getting the same issue with sc.exe. It's painful and I'll be uninstalling Garmin Express until they post a proper fix for their software. The work around posted in this thread does not work.

E

Comment

Well the work around does work, since the last sentence says you may have to use a different computer. The fact is that there is an issue on some computers with the Windows UAC prompt.

https://support.garmin.com/support/s...00000000000%7D
                  Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
                  Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
                  (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

I get the NT advisory popup only about 1 in 3 bootups for SC.exe.
                    Our work PCs are Win7 and locked down so I can't try many of the workarounds.

Comment

Stop the sc.exe from requesting permission to start the Garmin Core Update Service

From Garmin and my experience:
                      There are times when the User Account Control (UAC) prompt displays after restarting the computer or when using Garmin Express with Windows Vista/7. This UAC*prompt wants to allow the use of sc.exe for the Garmin core update service. To stop this prompt from displaying every time the computer is turned on:
                      Windows Vista/7:
                      1. Go to the Control Panel,
                      2. Fouble click on User Accounts
                      3. Click on Turn User Account control on or off
                      4. Click click to uncheck the box
                      5. Restart the computer
                      However, it is not wise to leave the UAC turned OFF. So redo steps 1-5 above, but this time
                      check the box to turn the UAC back on.
                      The above fixed the problem of Windows always asking me to start the Garmin Core Service at boot up.

Comment

Try just changing the service setting from Automatic to Manual.

Comment

Stop the sc.exe from requesting permission to start the Garmin Core Update Service

It worked for me!

Go to Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts, Turn the User Account Control ON or OFF

Turn the UAC OFF, reboot

Go to Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts, Turn the User Account Control ON or OFF

Turn the UAC back ON, reboot

I tried many things offered up by Garmin Support. Nothing helped until I did the above.

Hope it works for you also.

Running: Windows Vista

Comment

I have the same problem. Tired of not being able to get rid of it. Whatever I do, Allowing the installation or not! It keeps coming back at every boot. I tried to follow the links on the reply to this Post and it doesn't work. BTW statistically, only 10% will take action on such problem (and I am generous !) so we must be at least 500 experiencing this annoying problem ... If someone has the receipe to fix it, please answer.

Comment

As posted by Brett above, the issue is a Windows User Account Control Issue but it can be worked around.

Please see the Faq: https://support.garmin.com/support/s...-000000000000}
                              Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
                              Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
                              (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Working...
                              X