Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New esu.exe .NET error entry in Event Viewer since 5.3.0.0 release

I started seeing these in Event Viewer from last Saturday, i.e. when I updated Garmin Express to latest version, i.e.: 5.3.0.0

Event 1026, .NET Runtime

Application: esu.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides+<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61.MoveNext()
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[[Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides+<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61, ExpressSelfUpdater, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]](<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61 ByRef)
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync(Boolean)
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.get_OmtBaseUrl()
    at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.RealMain()
    at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.Main(System.String[])

I have not seen these before, just checked.

I re-installed GE twice, also removed data from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid as suggested elsewhere. But to no avail.

Windows 10 Home x64, fully up to date. No other issues seen. GE works fine nonetheless (except the usual bugs).

Any ideas?

I updated GE to v5.3.1.0 and issue remains.

esu.exe is part of GarminSelfUpdater and by the look of it self-updater does not work indeed - otherwise I would not have updated GE myself (I think this has been happening in background in the past).

Thoughts? Has anybody else seen this in the Event Viewer either?

Comment

I'm getting the exact same error.

Noticed the self updater wasn't working so I manually updated yesterday and error persists.

I'm also getting Event Error 1000 at the same time:

Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8d5
      Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23677, time stamp: 0x589c9620
      Exception code: 0xe0434352
      Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
      Faulting process id: 0x264
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d2abcc2912374e
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
      Report Id: 6836d158-17bf-11e7-b62c-10bf487e4588

Comment

Originally posted by Fooger View Post
        I'm also getting Event Error 1000 at the same time:

Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, /SNIP
        Yeah, the same here, I assumed that the other error notification would be enough for somebody at Garmin to investigate.

Comment

I'll add myself to that list. Noticed it with 5.3.0.0. I had backed off to 5.2.0.0 due to some other issues (turned out to be buggy WPD update that prevented Win10 from even seeing my nuvi.) It then updated itself to 5.3.1.0, and the errors started again.

This is Win10 Home, 64bit.
          Last edited by Andyross63; 04-03-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I have opened a new case for this and it is currently being investigated.

Jason
            sigpic

Comment

The same happens to me
              Windows 7
              Express 5.3.1.0
              Express install the new map on the navigator correctly, but fails to write it in my computer

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: esu.exe, versione: 1.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x587d30e8
              Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: KERNELBASE.dll, versione: 6.1.7601.23677, timestamp: 0x589c9620
              Codice eccezione: 0xe0434352
              Offset errore 0x0000c54f
              ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x9b4
              Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d2b03ee22cbb48
              Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe
              Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
              ID segnalazione: 2153c0f4-1c32-11e7-9fd3-2c41388c47b3

170123012027645523.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE View Post
                Just another datapoint - Windows 8.1 - same type of error that's fairly recent.

Note, however (and maybe a red herring), I recently changed a couple settings that theoretically speed up certain operations on my ancient machine that had to do with "backward compatibility"; these changes may have been made AFTER the errors started showing up, though.

Comment

Originally posted by EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE View Post
                  Pardon 2nd reply to save post but I wanted THIS reply separate.

Anyway, I found the log files for the updater that reflect the error mentioned in the 1st post of this thread. In it's entirety the April2nd log file says:

2017-04-02 07:22:38.0120 | 1 | I | Running scheduled Express Update task
                  2017-04-02 07:22:38.6995 | 1 | I | Express Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express\Express.exe
                  2017-04-02 07:22:41.4026 | 1 | I | Express version: 5.3.1.0
                  2017-04-02 07:22:42.1526 | 1 | E | System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
                  at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61.MoveNext()
                  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
                  at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync(Boolean force)
                  at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides..cctor()
                  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
                  at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.get_OmtBaseUrl()
                  at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.RealMain()
                  at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.Main(String[] args)
                  When I do a Search for "Newtonsoft.Json" all I find is a bunch of files named "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" (and one explanatory text file about a license).

[note - I reposted THIS post with considerably more information after this post had not appeared - thought I'd posted wrong. So, moderator,, that similar post made after this post may be more useful to post]
                  Last edited by brokensoftware; 04-11-2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brokensoftware View Post
                    [note - I reposted THIS post with considerably more information after this post had not appeared - thought I'd posted wrong. So, moderator,, that similar post made after this post may be more useful to post]
                    Okay, anyway, the extra information was that the "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" file was not in the Self Updater folder. I copied it from another location in the Garmin folder tree and re-ran the Updater task and it completed successfully (albeit there was nothing to update, the task itself did not error-out as the previous posts in this thread show).

Comment

Originally posted by brokensoftware View Post
                      Okay, anyway, the extra information was that the "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" file was not in the Self Updater folder. I copied it from another location in the Garmin folder tree and re-ran the Updater task and it completed successfully (albeit there was nothing to update, the task itself did not error-out as the previous posts in this thread show).
                      Yep, once copied to ~\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater folder error notifications stopped and reliability monitor is no longer affected (see attached choppy chart)
                      Attached Files

Comment

I got a similar problem. Windows 10.
                        The problem details are as follows:

Code:
                        Description
                        Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8d5
                        Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1066, time stamp: 0x58d9f07f
                        Fault offset: 0x000da932
                        Faulting process id: 0x397c
                        Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b8db24521dd4
                        Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe
                        Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
                        Report Id: 941afa18-2119-4fa2-8b8b-8fad0bbaf75f
                        Faulting package full name: 
                        Faulting package-relative application ID:
                        I also tried to copy the "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" in the folder but the esu.exe still doesn't run. It produces the error shown in the attachment and invokes the debugger of the VS.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I copied the DLL on my Win10 system and it did fix the errors being logged on bootup. You do get errors if you try to manually run esu.exe, but it's not designed to work that way.

Comment

I also have the issue, Windows 10 latest update (is reporting the problem since v5.3.0, I have the v 5.3.1 now)

Source
                            Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater

Summary
                            Stopped working

Date
                            ‎2017-‎04-‎19 7:26 AM

Status
                            Not reported

Description
                            Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe

Problem signature
                            Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
                            Problem Signature 01: esu.exe
                            Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
                            Problem Signature 03: 58dac8d5
                            Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
                            Problem Signature 05: 4.7.2046.0
                            Problem Signature 06: 589c059b
                            Problem Signature 07: 5c5f
                            Problem Signature 08: 2c
                            Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
                            OS Version: 10.0.15063.2.0.0.768.101
                            Locale ID: 4105
                            Additional Information 1: 2beb
                            Additional Information 2: 2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
                            Additional Information 3: 4bee
                            Additional Information 4: 4bee0b688f92a58db71f79d49bc5b4cc

Comment

have same problem on win 7 x64
                              Faulting application name: express.exe, version: 5.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8c7
                              Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23714, time stamp: 0x58bf87bb
                              Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
                              Faulting process id: 0x1544
                              Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b93e52eeed39
                              Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express\express.exe
                              Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
                              Report Id: 8058af52-2532-11e7-992e-94de806b7398

Application: express.exe
                              Framework Version: v4.0.30319
                              Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
                              Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException
                              at NLog.Targets.Wrappers.AsyncTargetWrapper.ProcessPendingEvents(System.Object)
                              at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallbackInContext(System.Object)
                              at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
                              at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
                              at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback()
                              at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire()
                              at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireQueuedTimerCompletion(System.Object)
                              at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
                              at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
                              at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Comment

Working...
                              X