Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin 66s conncetion issues to secured WPA2 wifi - how to enter username?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin 66s conncetion issues to secured WPA2 wifi - how to enter username?

Hi all!

Post quite self-explanatory - I've got several new Garmin 66s that need to be connected to wifi. However, my work wifi is a WPA2 university system and I can't seem to find where I can enter a wifi username on both the unit and/or the Garmin express application.

Any tips? No wifi networks at work that only require a password (all require some kind of portal walk through or username-password combination).

Thanks!

Does this not work for you? Connecting to a wireless network.
    myConnect | StravaHeatmap
    F201 | F205 | F305 | 310XT | 920XT | HRM4-Run
    nüvi 1300 | nüvi 52 | nüvi 67 | Dash Cam 45

Comment

Originally posted by seilogramp View Post
      Does this not work for you? Connecting to a wireless network.
      Thanks for the quick response! As I stated above, I cannot simply enter a password as connecting to the network requires entering a university email account. So, for example, connecting on a PC would require entering both [email protected] as well as the password janedoe123. As of now I can only enter the password janedoe123 but that is insufficient to connect.

Comment

So it sounds like they're using authentication based on LDAP or Active Directory. We use the same, but also offer other SSIDs (available networks) for guests and other staff members. Are you able to see other available networks on your phone or other wireless device?

Comment

So it sounds like they're using authentication based on LDAP or Active Directory. We use the same, but also offer other SSIDs (available networks) for guests and other staff members. Are you able to see other available networks on your phone or other wireless device?
          I can see the other networks, but even the guest wifi requires temporary username/login combo that is generated via an online webpage (it likely varies by institution?). The network is specifically WPA2 EAP.

I guess I'll have to bring them home or find a network that requires only a password login?

Comment

What about tethering your phone as a hotspot? Then the 66s might see your phone and use it for Internet access.

Comment

What about tethering your phone as a hotspot? Then the 66s might see your phone and use it for Internet access.
              Ah nice workaround!

Side note/follow-up question - why can't the Garmin use usernames? It is additional software/security/programming costs?

Comment

Just wanted to follow-up on this. This doesn't seem to work anymore unless we are on data (rather than wifi). As we need to download lots of images, the hotspot workaround isn't really a 'fix'.

Can anyone confirm that the Garmin can/cannot enter unique usernames for secure networks? Or can we use bluetooth to download the satellite images? If it cannot we will need to return them...

Comment

Bump...

Comment

This is not possible at this time. Suggest submitting this via the idea/request page. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

Comment

Working...
                    X