Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW TO/WHAT files to delete from Nuvi 2689 LMT to get more space in internal memory

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO/WHAT files to delete from Nuvi 2689 LMT to get more space in internal memory

Hello from Bosnia!
    (apology for bad English)
    I have Garmin nuvi 2689 LMT, with SD card (16 Gb). Map update is downloaded using Garmin Express directly to SD card, works fine. However, whenever I perform map update, I erase old map version from SD card, to prevent lack of space on SD. Internal memory in device is already almost full- says that there is 1,18 Gb free space, which is not enough for the latest update-8,22 Gb.. It appears that device's internal storage has a total of 7 Gb approx.(according the Properties).
    I would like to update maps directly to device's internal memory (instead to SD), but do not know whether I may erase some files ,and, in particular WHAT file/files in the device's internal memory?
    When using Win Explorer, I see, among other folders, the following folders: GPX (content: folder "Archive", files: "Garmin ExpressImport", "Temp", "Current" and "Position" (all of them are GPX fileformat), folder "Garmin" - with only one file-"GarminDevice" which is XML document. I see NO "gmapbmap. img" for which I learned here that it is a base map which must not be deleted, nor any other file like "gmapprom.gma/img/unl". So, in summ, my question is just the same as I named this topic.
    I am using Win7 (not genuine OS), Explorer is set to "Show hidden files, folders" -Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Hidden Files and Folders/Show hidden files, folders...

Any advice is very, very appreciated.

You won't clear enough space to enable you to install the EU map to internal memory so I wouldn't worry about clearing space.
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

OK, thanks, but I wonder how it happen that internal device memory isn't enough for maps update, and/or there is no option for overwriting the old maps. It appears that GARMIN is forcing its faithfull customers to buy SD cards...

Comment

Maps have been increasing in size for some time now. Express will delete old maps prior to installing new ones provided it put them there.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
          Maps have been increasing in size for some time now. Express will delete old maps prior to installing new ones provided it put them there.
          Hm, maybe I am not aware of that, but after purchasing Nuvi 2689 LMT somewhere in 2016 or in spring 2017, I performed the first map update. At that very moment, Express informed me that there is not enough memory in internal storage, so I had to buy SD card. As from that moment till today, Garmin Express have never deleted old map prior to installing update, every time I perform map update, I have to delete old maps manually (on SD card, I do not even "touch" int. mem.).

Comment

Express does it all for me. Are you messing about with the files in any way after Express has downloaded them to the card?

Comment

No "after Express has downloaded.." but prior to any download to SD, I delete (in fact I use option Format SD card) all files from SD, and then I perform maps update via G.Express. Update takes a couple of hours (2019.20 update took 3,5 hours, circa 8,2 GB), so I leave it over the night.

Comment

OK. You should find Express will delete those files on the card but no harm in doing it your way

Comment

Working...
                X