No announcement yet.

Cannot communicate with servers

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot communicate with servers

Not sure when this started, probably a couple of days ago, but from my MAC I cannot connect to the Garmin servers. It sync's and updates activities but not apps.

What's going on Garmin?

Nothing wrong here. Try this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Type=noProduct
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
      Thank you.

I looked at that document and it provided no assistance. I have changed nothing in my environment for this to start occuring.

Garmin Capture.zip

I did a packet capture and can find no errors, though I am no expert, so have attached it. Looks like it sets up the HTTPS conversation ok and is getting responses on the required higher ports so not sure what is going on.

The akamai host (104.98.0.7) does seem to be sending some connection reset frames.

Comment

Happening on my Mac too. Used to happen all the time with prior versions of Garmin Express then for a few version the problem went away. Now it's been consistently not connecting for about a week. v6.7.00 here. Won't connect on via my router, via phone tethered every 4g or at work or at cafe wifi. I very much doubt it is my configuration or all the routers I've tried it on. This software and or the way it connects is always somewhere between flaky and flawed. And moderate, please don't ask me to contact support. I have tried that at least 5 times over this issue in the last year and get nowhere.

Comment

Well I'm afraid that's your best bet. Express really is no longer flaky as you put it, hasn't been for years. Does have the occasional issues with new hardware/software but normally very limited. Express hasn't caused me an issue for years. If it's limited to your mac it's likely an issue there somewhere and diagnosing that via a forum is generally impossible.
          Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
          (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

What a load of nonsense. Every single one of the points you raise is nonsense.

Well I'm afraid that's your best bet.
            Knowledgeable and helpful forum members can be more helpful than support folks who don't use the products.

Express really is no longer flaky as you put it, hasn't been for years.
            Express is flaky hence this thread. I guess the whole cycle map update debacle was the pinnacle of stability.

Does have the occasional issues with new hardware/software but normally very limited.
            Yep that would mean it's flaky

Express hasn't caused me an issue for years.
            I guess that means you haven't had new hardware or software because, as you mentioned in your point above, Express does have issues.

If it's limited to your mac it's likely an issue there somewhere and diagnosing that via a forum is generally impossible.
            Like I said, someone helpful and knowledgeable could probably diagnose and help. So far, in this thread I count 2 MAC's with the same issue.

How about we wait and see if there is someone helpful from Garmin or someone else using the forum that could help and you stop replying to this thread.

Comment

Your call of course but given the number of users out there we only get a small amount with issues and generally, though not always, the issue is somewhere within the users system rather than Express. Calling support also helps raise the issue with them so they can see if there is indeed a pattern with some specific devices/systems.

Comment

Two different macs. Five different wifi networks. And a pc. All we qre having trouble connecting to our servers. Not at all flaky.

Comment

Out of .... ?!

If the FAQ I posted above doesn't help then report it to Product Support. They are there to help in odd cases like this.

Comment

I uninstalled Garmin Express and now it won't start.

Process: Garmin Express
                    Path: /Applications/Garmin Express.app
                    Identifier: com.garmin.renu.client

Version: 6.7.0.0 (6070000)
                    Date/Time: 2018-08-12 08:59:48 +0000
                    OS Version: Mac OS X 101300

Application Specific Information:
                    Terminating app due to uncaught exception: NSInvalidUnarchiveOperationException
                    Reason: Exception while decoding argument 0 (#2 of invocation):
                    <NSInvocation: 0x60800026b380>
                    return value: {Vv} void
                    target: {@} 0x608000079b80
                    selector: {:} deviceUpdated:reason:
                    argument 2: {O@} 0x0
                    argument 3: {i} 0
                    Exception: -[__NSDictionaryM charValue]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x6080000352c0
                    (

0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff412bc66b __exceptionPreprocess + 171
                    1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff684fa942 objc_exception_throw + 48
                    2 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff4134c955 +[NSException raise:format:] + 197
                    3 Foundation 0x00007fff4335a57a decodeInvocationArguments + 1208
                    4 Foundation 0x00007fff43408f65 -[NSKeyedPortCoder decodeInvocation] + 404
                    5 Foundation 0x00007fff433bff68 -[NSKeyedPortCoder decodeObjectForKey:] + 724
                    6 Foundation 0x00007fff434087cd -[NSConnection handleRequest:sequence:] + 107
                    7 Foundation 0x00007fff433bf7ad -[NSConnection handlePortCoder:] + 1152
                    8 Foundation 0x00007fff433bef2c -[NSConnection dispatchWithComponents:] + 53
                    9 Foundation 0x00007fff433be9b4 __NSFireMachPort + 253
                    10 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41240c0b __CFMachPortPerform + 347
                    11 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41240a99 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE1_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 41
                    12 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff412409e5 __CFRunLoopDoSource1 + 533
                    13 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41238770 __CFRunLoopRun + 2848
                    14 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff412379b7 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 487
                    15 HIToolbox 0x00007fff40517d96 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 286
                    16 HIToolbox 0x00007fff40517b06 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 613
                    17 HIToolbox 0x00007fff40517884 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
                    18 AppKit 0x00007fff3e7c8a73 _DPSNextEvent + 2085
                    19 AppKit 0x00007fff3ef5ee34 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 3044
                    20 AppKit 0x00007fff3e7bd885 -[NSApplication run] + 764
                    21 AppKit 0x00007fff3e78ca72 NSApplicationMain + 804
                    22 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff69111015 start + 1
                    )

Comment

HaHa had the same problem with my Windows PC today.

DB00 What device are you using?

Comment

Express just said it's getting updated. Installed the same 6.7.0.0 version and is now working. Still getting comms error though.

Comment

I am having the same problem with Express, on Mac. Version 6.7. Wont sync my Fenix 5S or update to 10.0 from 9.20. Watch is syncing normally to Connect on my smart phone via Bluetooth
                          Just to see, I installed Express on a PC I have access to, and it fails to download on that machine as well. Fails at the download phase, just like on the Mac version. Does this both on my home network, at work, and on a mobile hotspot LTE from my iPhone.
                          Last edited by Kennyyoli; 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I have had exactly the same problem after updating Express to 6.7 on Mac while I had no problem when login in Connect with same credentials. Then I realised that going to 'About' window in Express and clicking any of the links (Privacy policy, for example) it got me to a non existing webpage. Weird. The reason is that these clever guys from Garmin take language ISO code from OS to create the webpage URL but then they do not support all language ISO codes. In my case my OS is configured in Catalan (ca-ES ISO code) so they are redirecting to a https:///www.garmin.com/ca-ES which does not exists. My guess is that they did the same for the login http call and I simply change OS language to spanish to have a ISO code es-ES which I knew it was supported. I was right, it worked without problem and it logged in. My advice is to change OS language to english and country in Express advanced preferences to US and it should work. Once logged in you can revert the changes. As a developer & engineer I still do not believe how this basic bug has passed Garmin QA.

Comment

I have the same problem, started about 2 weeks ago (think it coincided with express 6.7 update), I'm on beta firmware 10.52 on Fenix 5x - Mac. I tried the above suggestion and have cleaned all the caches, keychain items , added removed device multiple times with different settings. I tried on authentication domain US with system language / date time English (US) and VPN in US (auth domain was en-US) no dice.

Definitely a bug.

Here is a snapshot from the logs:
                              2018-08-14 11.18.48 (GMT+10:00) | 775 | E | ServerRequest failed with Error:Error Domain=HttpStatusCodeErrorDomain Code=500 "(null)" UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://omt.garmin.com/Rce/ProtobufApi/MapUpdateService/GetPreloadedMapUpdates}
                              2018-08-14 11.18.48 (GMT+10:00) | 775 | E | Error getting map updates for [XXXXXXXXX]: Error Domain=HttpStatusCodeErrorDomain Code=500 "(null)" UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://omt.garmin.com/Rce/ProtobufApi/MapUpdateService/GetPreloadedMapUpdates}
                              2018-08-14 11.18.48 (GMT+10:00) | 57699 | I | Update Check Complete: [(null)]
                              2018-08-14 11.18.48 (GMT+10:00) | 57699 | W | AvailableUpdates: updatesForDevice [XXXXXXXX]: failed to retrieve update group
                              2018-08-14 11.18.48 (GMT+10:00) | 64791 | I | Could not clean map cache. Error getting available updates: Error Domain=HttpStatusCodeErrorDomain Code=500 "(null)" UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://omt.garmin.com/Rce/ProtobufApi/MapUpdateService/GetPreloadedMapUpdates}

Comment

Working...
                              X