Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.kmz zip format

I would like to mention a minor detail about the zip format used for kmz files.
    With the zip package for many linux distributions it is possible to zip an archive recursively. What id did was in a folder structure like:

kmz_file/doc.kml
    kmz_file/files/map.jpg
    cd kmz_file
    zip -r file.kmz ./

The resulted kmz file will be properly drawn in googleearth. But my oregon 300 failed to display the image.

I had to add just the files, and not the directories to the zip archive.
    zip file.kmz `find -type f` did the trick.
    Greetings,
    Ferengee

Comment

TRAILTECH, I have two files kmz, one of which contains 81 fragment, another contains 4 fragments in the form of files jpg.
      Any of files of fragments does not exceed the size of 3 mbytes.
      I have placed these files in the navigator. In the list of a choice of maps the map containing 81 fragment is displayed only and it is called the same as also a base map of the world - "WW DEM Basemap NR". Other map from 4 fragments is not present.
      How it is possible to see it? Whether it will be possible to distinguish maps from kmz files by name?

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILTECH View Post

Software Versions

New software has been release for the Oregon, Colorado, and Dakota. Many problems with Custom Maps the beta software have been fixed. Run WebUpdater to make sure you have the most recent software release.

Colorado 300/400 version 3.10
        Oregon 200/300/400 version 3.30
        Oregon 550 version 2.60
        Dakota 10/20 version 2.30
        Can you provide list of fixed issues against the previous beta?

Comment

Does the Garmin unit also process the LatLonQuad tags for coordinates of all 4 corners?

Comment

Hello,

Garmin Custom Maps only uses the KMZ from Google Earth.
            There is no calibration of the corners in KML - only the sides and the rotation.

Regards
            Anton

Comment

There is an option in Google earth to use 'LatLonQuad' when the KMZ stores the 4 corners - but if I use North/South/East/West does the Garmin interpret the rotation correctly or does the map have to be aligned?

Comment

North/South/East/West and rotation will work correctly. LatLonQuad is not supported.

Comment

specifying zoom levels

Besides draw order which lets me specify in what order the overlays are shown, is there a way for me to specify the zoom levels at which I want an overlay to be displayed? for example: I have a first general overlay at 1:200000 scale and a second overlay at 1:50000 scale covering more or less the same area. I would want the first overlay to be shown from the 2 mile zoom level to the 0.8 mile zoom level and the second overlay to be shown from the 0.5 mile zoom level and closer. Is this possible?

Comment

Hi JBADILLA,

you can adjust the pixel size of your JPEG files according to your needs.

Regards
                    Anton

Comment

I experimented using the more detailed 50k map in a higher resolution to push its display only to the more detailed zoom levels, keeping the more general 200k map on the less detailed zoom levels. however this would mean I would reach the 100 jpeg limit with a smaller map area. It would be great as there is a track manager, and a waypoint manger, that we could have a "Custom Map Manager", in which we could mark what custom maps are Enabled or Disabled and /or at what zoom levels they should be displayed.

Comment

Hi,

a "Custom Map Manager" would be great. Adjusting the zoom level by pixel size is only a work-around.

Regards - Anton

Comment

Another vote for the "Custom Map Manager"!
                          Garmin Colorado 400t
                          Garmin eTrex
                          http://kygeonet.ky.gov/
                          "Map legends are so old-school" - dh

Comment

Originally posted by OSTROFF01 View Post
                            I use OziExplorer CE extensively and have been making maps from the NJ 2007 imagery sampled at 4 feet per pixel which look pretty good also. At this resolution you could make a Garmin custom map covering an 8 mile x 8 mile (64 sq mile) area. I have also found that the USGS 24k topo's from terraserver can be sampled at 10 feet per pixel and not lose much detail. So we can make custom maps from these which cover an area about 20 miles x 20 miles (400 square miles).
                            You just touched very important thing. Most people want high level of detail and bigger area of coverage. But sometimes raster data could be resampled to lower resolution without actual loss of details (there are lots of slightly blurred photos). I'm trying to find a good simple solution to get minimal size of detail from image, compare it with pixel size and resample image to remove any redundancy. There are some image analysis solutions with GUI, where maximum frequency in periods/pixel could be found for any image, but I want to find some console application with text output.

Comment

What application can I view the kmz source code?

Comment

Use something like 7-Zip to unpack the KMZ - you will see a file kml.doc - which you can open in Wordpad etc - and a set of images

Comment

Working...
                                X