Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WatchApp: pmTriathlon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WatchApp: pmTriathlon

    pmTriathlon

    pmTriathlon is a multi-sport app for triathlons. Designed to record a swim, a cycle and a run, with a transition inbetween (although the transition doesn't seem to create a FIT file, I'm assuming this is something to do with ConnectIQ).




    IMPORTANT NOTICE
    All this application does is start and stop events in the order that you do them in a Triathlon. This application has no control over data accurracy, that's handled by the watch. The swimming discipline seems to suffer the most problems.

    These issues might be down to running on a Vivoactive (or other likewise watch); so if you're super-serious about your Triathlon data, you might want to consider a better watch designed for triathlons.

    If you're happy with getting times as a minimum, then you'll be okay with this app.



    Usage
    Once started, the GPS will try and connect, the red bar above and below the phase chevrons indicates GPS signal, and will turn yellow or green when a signal is acquired.
    To start your triathlon, press the "Enter" button (physical button on the right side of the vivoactive). Press this at the start and end of each discipline.

    Press the button a final time at the end of your triathlon, and you will be presented on-screen with the total time, with phase split times.

    Onscreen Data
    Currently the only information available to display are:
    • Event (Total) Time
    • Discipline Time
    • Pace (time per mi/km based on watch setting)
    • Distance (mi/km based on watch setting)



    Watch Support
    It has only actually been tested on a Vivoactive, but should support all square screen watches

    Downloads
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/e...6-633619f72a9a

    Source Code
    https://github.com/pmprog/pmTriathlon (MIT Licence)

    History
    v1.0
    Initial Release

    v1.1
    • A settings menu is now available in the pre-event screen by pressing the menu button. At the minute, the only option you are able to change is whether you are doing a Triathlon, Reverse Triathlon, or a Duathlon (Run/Cycle/Run); The data fields will hopefully get added soon
    • The screen is now locked during an event, and the only buttons that should do anything are the Power button (for enabling the backlight) and the Record button (for advancing)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pmprog; 07-30-2015, 02:50 AM. Reason: Important Notice

  • #2
    App was approved, and the link has been updated

    Comment


    • #3
      So does this app track the swim with gps ie suitable for openwater triathlons, or does it effectively use a method similar to the standard swim app, ie suitable for pool based triathlons

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JASEHUSS View Post
        So does this app track the swim with gps ie suitable for openwater triathlons, or does it effectively use a method similar to the standard swim app, ie suitable for pool based triathlons
        I'll be honest, I don't really know. There aren't any "settings", you just start a recording for a "swim", and the watch takes care of everything else.

        I would hope that if the GPS is connected at the time, it'd use that, but I can't be certain

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know if "Jens2s" who wrote the review on my app comes on here, but if they do, please can they let me know what firmware version they were using on their watch, and what was actually happening?

          I've had no such crashes, and I've physically tested it on a Vivoactive.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is there any chance if creating an app for a reverse tri (run/bike/swim)?

            Comment


            • #7
              I did a practice tri around my neighborhood yesterday just to get a feel for the app. Overall very impressive. Nice work.
              One thing that I noticed that could be improved is when biking the app still shows pace (min/mi) instead of speed (mph). If possible it would be better to switch to speed when biking and pace when running. I don't think most people care what is shown when swimming.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry for the delay in replying. I did my triathlon recently, then was away for a holiday

                Originally posted by TomGu3 View Post
                Is there any chance if creating an app for a reverse tri (run/bike/swim)?
                It should be, I'll see if I can muster up some time.

                Originally posted by NOLEHYPOTHESIS View Post
                I did a practice tri around my neighborhood yesterday just to get a feel for the app. Overall very impressive. Nice work.
                Thanks.

                Originally posted by NOLEHYPOTHESIS View Post
                One thing that I noticed that could be improved is when biking the app still shows pace (min/mi) instead of speed (mph). If possible it would be better to switch to speed when biking and pace when running. I don't think most people care what is shown when swimming.
                I've had a couple of requests to show different data. I'm afraid it only shows the pace (even in the cycle) because that's just what I measure myself with even on the bike.

                My main problem is time, I don't have much of it at the minute, which is why it's just got what I use; but hopefully I'll be able to find a bit of time and make the app a lot more configurable.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pmprog View Post
                  does this app track the swim with gps for openwater triathlons
                  Did somebody try it out, meanwhile: does it measure the openwater distance?
                  Marathon, Pacemaker, Triathlon & Geocaching | Garmin 220 HR, Garmin vivoactive HR, Garmin Dakota 20

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GUBRIST View Post
                    Did somebody try it out, meanwhile: does it measure the openwater distance?
                    A few people have used it (myself included) - if you read one of the reviews on the app Kevin086 had a successful openwater swim; however there's a couple saying they've had problems with locking up/crashing. My tri had a pool swim, and that portion of my tri recorded 22yd as my swim, which is clearly wrong, but got everything else correct.

                    Unfortunately, all you do is tell the watch to "start recording" and "stop recording", you don't really control what it records, so there's not a vast amount I can do, which is disappointed. There's also no real details on how to work with swim events so it could be I've initialised it wrong (after all, you don't specify pool length or anything)

                    All I can suggest is maybe try it during training, and see if it looks right.

                    If you do experience any lock ups or crashes, please post back here

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pmprog View Post
                      If you do experience any lock ups or crashes, please post back here
                      Thanks, I had a swim today in the lake.
                      After 20 minutes the swim part and the whole pmTriathlon App stopped without touching the Garmin vivoactive. Getting out of the water, the Garmin vivoactive was back in the watch page.
                      The postive thing is, that the swim was recorded and afterwards uploaded to Garmin Connect. Distance indicated was 1.5 km but is was max. 800 m. (I do not know yet if/how vivoactive can measure the open water distance.)
                      Marathon, Pacemaker, Triathlon & Geocaching | Garmin 220 HR, Garmin vivoactive HR, Garmin Dakota 20

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Does the app work with the Live Tracking feature part of Garmin Connect?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GUBRIST View Post
                          Thanks, I had a swim today in the lake.
                          After 20 minutes the swim part and the whole pmTriathlon App stopped without touching the Garmin vivoactive. Getting out of the water, the Garmin vivoactive was back in the watch page.
                          The postive thing is, that the swim was recorded and afterwards uploaded to Garmin Connect. Distance indicated was 1.5 km but is was max. 800 m. (I do not know yet if/how vivoactive can measure the open water distance.)
                          Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if there's anything I can do about about the crashing. I'm not even sure if there's anything I can do about the distance; did you let the GPS connect? Can you see a route if you view on Garmin Connect?

                          Originally posted by WORKTOCROP View Post
                          Does the app work with the Live Tracking feature part of Garmin Connect?
                          I'm afraid I don't even know what that is, sorry.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pmprog View Post
                            did you let the GPS connect?
                            yes :-)
                            amazing: with pmTriathlon you OVERCOME the standard swim app of Garmin vivoactive, which just turns the GPS off.

                            Originally posted by pmprog View Post
                            Can you see a route if you view on Garmin Connect?.
                            yes :-)
                            https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/801943383
                            amazing: the track on the map is accurate; you see that it has GPS connection from time to time, which is sufficient.
                            strange: it turns out that the swim program stopped 100 m before reaching the shore; this might be a watch issue.
                            Last edited by GUBRIST; 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM.
                            Marathon, Pacemaker, Triathlon & Geocaching | Garmin 220 HR, Garmin vivoactive HR, Garmin Dakota 20

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Disabling the touch screen during swim?

                              This app has a chance to be very useful given the watch's current limitations with the auto-multisport. I haven't used it during a race yet, but I am planning to use it in a race tomorrow. In looking at it today, I noticed that if you touch the lap/back button on the touch screen you are exited from the app. This is what could be causing the issues during the swim portion of the watching freezing or exiting back to the clock. The water could be affecting the touch screen.

                              For the developer, is there a way in the code that you can disable the touch screen during the swim? Similar to the built-in app for swimming, by doing so, the only way to exit the activity would be to physically press the button on the right side of the watch. Or, can you create the code so that it links all 3 built-in apps together?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X