No announcement yet.

WatchApp: pmTriathlon

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App instantly crashes

I was very excited about this app, but both the pmtri and pmduo crash as soon as you press the start button.
    The app finds the gps, says it's ready to go and when you press start it crashes and restarts the watch completely.
    I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference.
    I've tried restarting the watch and my phone.
    Please let me know if there's something else I'm doing wrong here.
    Thanks
    Gord

Comment

Originally posted by jccherrier View Post
      It's a good app !! I use only for openwater, the GPS track on google maps is Ok with the followed track (the GPS works well) but the distance is not correct, there are +15% meters :
      Thanks, but as I beginning to think I need to make this a lot clearer - there is nothing that can be done about actual route inaccuracies in the app. All my app does is start and stop 5 sequential recordings; I have no control over anything beyond when they are started and stopped.

Comment

It's a good app !! I use only for openwater, the GPS track on google maps is Ok with the followed track (the GPS works well) but the distance is not correct, there are +15% meters
        Thanks, but there's nothing I can do about inaccuracies in the recordings. That's all done by the watch.

Originally posted by gordonfinlay View Post
        I was very excited about this app, but both the pmtri and pmduo crash as soon as you press the start button.
        The app finds the gps, says it's ready to go and when you press start it crashes and restarts the watch completely.
        I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference.
        I've tried restarting the watch and my phone.
        Please let me know if there's something else I'm doing wrong here.
        Thanks
        Gord
        Are you running the latest firmware on your watch? Most of the crashes I heard of were because the watches hadn't been updated. Also check that you have the latest version of the app.
        What watch are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by pmprog View Post
          Thanks, but there's nothing I can do about inaccuracies in the recordings. That's all done by the watch.

Are you running the latest firmware on your watch? Most of the crashes I heard of were because the watches hadn't been updated. Also check that you have the latest version of the app.
          What watch are you using?
          Ah yes, easy fix. It's a new vivoactove and hadn't figured out how to update. Seems good now. Looking forward to a full test! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks, but as I beginning to think I need to make this a lot clearer - there is nothing that can be done about actual route inaccuracies in the app. All my app does is start and stop 5 sequential recordings; I have no control over anything beyond when they are started and stopped.
            But am i alone with this problem of distance for open water ?

Comment

But am i alone with this problem of distance for open water ?
              I don't know about open water, but it certainly didn't work properly for me in an outdoor pool.

The problem is - none of this is related to my app. All I can do in the app is start and stop recordings; all the actual details are handled and recorded by Garmin's firmware.

Comment

im gonna be repeating myself. But... Users who wants to use GPS on open water swim needs to get. Another watch. The VA just does not have the algorithm for open water swim. Garmin created it for users that does not need OWS or even pool for that matter I presume.

This is not pmprog's app issue. It's the watch or rather the lack of swim algorithm in the watch.

Of course... I may be proven wrong and garmin might just implement the algo in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by NIKEOW View Post
                  im gonna be repeating myself. But... Users who wants to use GPS on open water swim needs to get. Another watch. The VA just does not have the algorithm for open water swim. Garmin created it for users that does not need OWS or even pool for that matter I presume.

This is not pmprog's app issue. It's the watch or rather the lack of swim algorithm in the watch.

Of course... I may be proven wrong and garmin might just implement the algo in the foreseeable future.
                  Ok i understand ...
                  For experience, next try i try the native walk app like a openwater app ...
                  The gps works well no pb when i swim because the track on google maps is fine.
                  Bye

Comment

Hang on... hang on..
                    you're telling me now that if you use a NATIVE garmin app for OWS then the GPS tracks just fine?
                    now.. that is something to be re-considered then..

please confirm and can you show the difference in the tracks?

Comment

Garmin created it for users that does not need OWS or even pool for that matter I presume.
                      OWS is not natively supported in the VA and that's fine, Garmin never said it was, but pool swimming certainly is. I have yet to find out how well it works (for me), but as this is one of the reasons I bought it, I certainly hope it's as good detecting styles and laps as the Garmin Swim watch.

But anyway, thank you pmprog, for the app. Yes please, try to make a version with GPS disabled for the swim leg and see if it actually switches to pool mode and asks for pool length, as the native (pool) Swim app does.

As others have said, km/h for biking and minutes/km for running certainly would be the preferred speed/pace choices (or miles if so set by user).
                      Last edited by TEEPROO; 07-30-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

oops. My bad. Pool is supported but GPS Won't be enabled is what I meant. Just tracks based on accelerometer and push off from the wall for length.

As for speed vs pace, I'm guessing that pmprog didn't set it as such to change between the difference in the style when in different modes.

Currently speed and pace is all based on speed. To get pace, use the speed and convert to,pace. It's the same number internal, just need to convert.

Comment

Originally posted by TEEPROO View Post
                          Yes please, try to make a version with GPS disabled for the swim leg and see if it actually switches to pool mode and asks for pool length, as the native (pool) Swim app does.
                          https://github.com/pmprog/pmTriathlon/issues/5

Originally posted by TEEPROO View Post
                          As others have said, km/h for biking and minutes/km for running certainly would be the preferred speed/pace choices (or miles if so set by user).
                          https://github.com/pmprog/pmTriathlon/issues/1
                          There is an options page already where you'll be able to set the data fields, but they're all disabled at the minute as they're not implemented

As for speed vs pace, I'm guessing that pmprog didn't set it as such to change between the difference in the style when in different modes.
                          Correct, because only pace matters to me - regardless of discipline. If I have 3 miles left, and I'm pacing at 10 minutes or mile (for example), I know that I've got 30 minutes (give or take) left

Comment

you're telling me now that if you use a NATIVE garmin app for OWS then the GPS tracks just fine?
                            Hi

I don't say that. I will try the native walk app for an OWS session and after i will compare the 2 tracks (pmTriathlon vs Walk).
                            I will paste in this Thread the 2 gps tracks.

Bye

Comment

if you are enabling recording mode into a FIT file, you may get bitten by the bug I reported where the GPS is turned on the moment Activity Recirding is turned on.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...sion-is-active

Comment

https://github.com/pmprog/pmTriathlon/issues/1
                                There is an options page already where you'll be able to set the data fields, but they're all disabled at the minute as they're not implemented
                                Ok, just to clarify, meaning functionality not implemented by Garmin in the API? I just got my VA, so haven't had time to read everything on the forum yet, but I recall seeing a reference to the next API version, due in September, that would include accessing user settings. So you are just waiting for this and will enable the code when/if it's possible in the next API version then? As for speed vs pace on the bike, well, the rest of the world uses speed ;-)

Again, got my VA for running and pool swimming, but getting a triathlon mode in a watch half the thickness of other tri watches is just fantastic. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X