Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions

1. Is there a way to pause?
    2. I tried it in a pool swim. Actual distance 400 m but it told me 0.43 miles. Anyone else try it yet?

Comment

It times fine in the lake (results after N=1 tests)

For a certain value of "fine."

I did a short lake swim today; timing was fine. GPS was running, but unless I didn't notice jumping on shore and jogging for a bit, the accuracy was a little low. The 0.42 mi it recorded was a good bit farther than I could have gone in 11 min. But it did record and did make a file I could look at which was approximately correct.

Originally posted by cindymcl View Post
      2. I tried it in a pool swim. Actual distance 400 m but it told me 0.43 miles. Anyone else try it yet?

Comment

No, why would you want to pause mid-race?

When I did my triathlon, it was an outdoor pool swim, and gave me a very inaccurate swim of 22 yards when my swim was actually 500m. Unfortunately, I don't know why this is wrong, and ConnectIQ doesn't give me any "options"...

Comment

Update on app

Just a couple of thoughts here,
          First, the update worked great. Did a tri Sunday with no crash of the app! In regards to the GPS tracking on the swim, this is a garmin thing and nothing to do with the app. I used to use a 310XT for triathlon. It worked great, but in regards to GPS tracking on the swim it was always way off. When looking at the map on garmin connect afterwards it always looked as if I wandered all over the swim venue. I'm sure this is a function of losing and reconnecting the GPS signal.
          Lastly, unless you are a speedster I would only recommend the Vivoactive for Olympic distance or less. I did a half iron yesterday with a fully charged watch. I did the race in 6:40. The watch died at mile 12. (It recorded everything before that perfectly)
          To the developer, great job! Great app!
          I hope this info helps other users.

Comment

Originally posted by olivarez View Post
            Just a couple of thoughts here,
            First, the update worked great. Did a tri Sunday with no crash of the app! In regards to the GPS tracking on the swim, this is a garmin thing and nothing to do with the app. I used to use a 310XT for triathlon. It worked great, but in regards to GPS tracking on the swim it was always way off. When looking at the map on garmin connect afterwards it always looked as if I wandered all over the swim venue. I'm sure this is a function of losing and reconnecting the GPS signal.
            Lastly, unless you are a speedster I would only recommend the Vivoactive for Olympic distance or less. I did a half iron yesterday with a fully charged watch. I did the race in 6:40. The watch died at mile 12. (It recorded everything before that perfectly)
            To the developer, great job! Great app!
            I hope this info helps other users.
            Thanks for that feedback. My tri was a sprint, but it's nice to know what sort of life you can get out of it

Comment

Swim Portion when Indoor?

I used it at my recent triathlon, cycle and run worked great. Swim was indoors and had the proper time but no data otherwise. Is this expected behaviour for an indoor swim? Garmin version is 3.10.

Comment

Good question. but since it's indoors.. there would be no GPS hence no distance.
                Per DC Rainmaker, http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/g...th-review.html the VA supports swimming - but if not mistake, from Garmin SDK, not much is there for swimming..

http://developer.garmin.com/download...vity/Info.html

Comment

Originally posted by BUBSANDFERG View Post
                  I used it at my recent triathlon, cycle and run worked great. Swim was indoors and had the proper time but no data otherwise. Is this expected behaviour for an indoor swim? Garmin version is 3.10.
                  Yes and no. It's not what it should do, but it's what I've come to expect it to do.

Originally posted by NIKEOW View Post
                  but if not mistake, from Garmin SDK, not much is there for swimming..
                  Yeah, there's no swimming examples, there's no way to set pool sizes, and even the FIT event file doesn't have the swimming icon. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing I can do about this at the minute, and it's a shame.

Comment

New screen lock works great

Thanks for your time implementing the screen lock, I used the app to record my lake swim and it worked as intended (albeit overestimating the swim distance due to gps scatter). I'm very happy though as now I have very basic open water swim recording making it a valid replacement for my fenix 2.

All I need to do is then delete the extra activities in Garmin connect when I'm not doing a full triathlon!

It would be great if you could possibly create a separate app just for open water swimming ie. The same app renamed and without the transitions and bike and run. Just for simplicity and to avoid the garmin connect work apres swim!

Brilliant, you are doing Garmins work for them!

Is there any way to increase gps sample time to reduce the track inaccuracy at all?

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by pmprog View Post
                      Yes and no. It's not what it should do, but it's what I've come to expect it to do.

Yeah, there's no swimming examples, there's no way to set pool sizes, and even the FIT event file doesn't have the swimming icon. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing I can do about this at the minute, and it's a shame.

Is it possible to have a "pool swim" option to disable GPS just for the first event? The Vivoactive does track pool swims with the accelerometer which could be a cool feature.

Comment

Pure open water swim app?

Hi,
                        I really like this app but since me and my wife right now are focusing on open water swim I would love if you could develop a pure swimming app.

Comment

Pmtri can correct me if wrong but you may need to actually upgrade to a better watch w the features you need/want rather than utilize the VA. it's just not cut out (for now) for OWS.

OWS - per what we know - needs special algorithms and as what some users of this app have determined - not really gonna work on OWS w/o the special algorithm from Garmin that they presumably spent years refining the filtering.

I'm would really be very surprised if Garmin do eventually adds that feature into this watch, preferring instead for you to upgrade to the next one level up that does offer that feature.

As for pmtri making the algorithm - I'm sure he's capable. I wonder what's the memory usage of the current app - adding the filters would really test his coding mettle to for it into 64kb.

I know I am having a tough time to fit that.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            Is there any way to increase gps sample time to reduce the track inaccuracy at all?
                            Simply, no. Garmin doesn't give us anything like that.

Originally posted by BUBSANDFERG View Post
                            Is it possible to have a "pool swim" option to disable GPS just for the first event? The Vivoactive does track pool swims with the accelerometer which could be a cool feature.
                            Does swimming only work with GPS disabled? Is that how it works? Because if it does, I'll add an option for no GPS in the swim section. I just figured GPS always on would give as much information to the watch as possible, but could account for the odd pool swim results.

Originally posted by Ulrik68 View Post
                            Hi,
                            I really like this app but since me and my wife right now are focusing on open water swim I would love if you could develop a pure swimming app.
                            As replied in PM, I've not had much time for anything lately, but if I get chance, I'll pop something into the store

Originally posted by NIKEOW View Post
                            Pmtri can correct me if wrong but you may need to actually upgrade to a better watch w the features you need/want rather than utilize the VA. it's just not cut out (for now) for OWS.

OWS - per what we know - needs special algorithms and as what some users of this app have determined - not really gonna work on OWS w/o the special algorithm from Garmin that they presumably spent years refining the filtering.

I'm would really be very surprised if Garmin do eventually adds that feature into this watch, preferring instead for you to upgrade to the next one level up that does offer that feature.

As for pmtri making the algorithm - I'm sure he's capable. I wonder what's the memory usage of the current app - adding the filters would really test his coding mettle to for it into 64kb.

I know I am having a tough time to fit that.
                            Were you referring to me in this? Apparently just recording a swim with the GPS on works fine for open water swims, according to a couple of the posters in this thread.

The current memory usage doesn't seem to bad from what I remember from the simulator, but I didn't pay too much attention beyond making sure it loaded and recorded without issue

Comment

Originally posted by pmprog View Post
                              Were you referring to me in this? Apparently just recording a swim with the GPS on works fine for open water swims, according to a couple of the posters in this thread.

The current memory usage doesn't seem to bad from what I remember from the simulator, but I didn't pay too much attention beyond making sure it loaded and recorded without issue

yes.. got the handle wrong. pmprog and not pmtri. sorry.
                              yes.. I do see that couple posters said it tracks, but if not mistaken, they also say they track horribly or all over the place etc..etc.. I believe that's due to this watch's nature whereby

1) open water swim algo is not implemented by garmin
                              2) the "frequency" of GPS acquisition in the few sec the arm is above water.

those are what I'm referring to. not exactly sure how much truth there is in there, but... you can always work-around and implement your own solution I guess.

Comment

Feedback from openwater swimmer

Hi,

I paste the message left on Garmin connect :

It's a good app !! I use only for openwater, the GPS track on google maps is Ok with the followed track (the GPS works well) but the distance is not correct, there are +15% meters :
                                4.2 km for really 3.7 km
                                1.4 km for really 1 km
                                I am french as i use metric system, the issue is perhaps here ...
                                Could you check this point please :-)

Thx for this app

Bye

Comment

Working...
                                X