X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widget: Waypoints (preview)

Hi there,

This is a feedback thread for the Waypoints widget:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/9...6-76a6999f51dc

I am quite responsive and very interested to hear your experience and issues with the app.
    To help me resolve your problem as quickly as possible, don't forget to note which device and language you use.

Thanks, David
    Last edited by sousekd; 03-18-2016, 08:09 AM.

Looks interesting, would be happy to test an FR 23x/630 version if/when available.

Comment

Nice!

Looks really interesting, thanks for sharing!!

Would be AWESOME if you made it usable for geocaching in some sort of way. I'm not sure if Garmin has made it possible to download "Pocket queries" from Geocaching.com, but if would be possible to show downloaded Geocaches and sort them after distance in this application/widget it would be wonderful.
      Fenix 5X running the latest beta.
      Oregon 650t.

Fenix 3 sold.
      GPSMAP 64s sold.

Comment

Originally posted by WEBVAN View Post
        Looks interesting, would be happy to test an FR 23x/630 version if/when available.
        Thanks for the interest. I will contact you via private message when the version is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Stegberg View Post
          Looks really interesting, thanks for sharing!!

Would be AWESOME if you made it usable for geocaching in some sort of way. I'm not sure if Garmin has made it possible to download "Pocket queries" from Geocaching.com, but if would be possible to show downloaded Geocaches and sort them after distance in this application/widget it would be wonderful.
          Thank you for your tip. A support for geocaching is on my list - that may easily be the most used feature of the app, when "finished". I do not know a lot of people traveling to places without internet connectivity (like I do), but I know a lot of people geocaching, who would love to use their watch for navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by sousekd;821608A support for geocaching is on my list - that may easily be the most used feature of the app, when "finished" [...
            but I know a lot of people geocaching, who would love to use their watch for navigation.
            +1: Like the idea of having this for geoaching on my wrist.

Comment

Why a widget instead of an app?

Initially, I was wondering, why a widget, instead of an app, so you can connect to a web site. But a widget can also connect to a web site.

If you connect the widget to a web site, you can have users create the waypoints on the web site, e.g. using Google maps, that would be much easier than on the phone.
              Last edited by HarryOnline; 05-17-2016, 05:03 PM.
              HarryOnline website | Apps by HarryOnline

Comment

Originally posted by HarryOnline View Post
                If you connect the widget to a web site, you can have users create the waypoints on the web site, e.g. using Google maps, that would be much easier than on the phone.
                Hi Harry,

that is exactly the idea and where I am heading with this. I was so surprised to realize there is no easy online way to manage waypoints on Garmin watches, after I bought the Fenix 3...

The thing is that to develop a website, API, sync with other services, implement some user-friendly authentication on the watch etc. takes time, which unfortunately I do not have at the moment. I have spend about a month of free time with my other Position widget just to learn the CIQ basics and work around its bugs. Than I have developed this WIP/preview version, to make sure I am able to calculate and display what I need, on watch...

The website and API is the next step, together with some more screens on the watch I have in my head. Unfortunately, the happy time of "no work" period in my job has passed so I am not working on it right now. But I plan a longer trip to a place far from electricity and cellular signal for December, and I really would like to use this - so I hope I will find some time before that to finish what I have started.

Thanks,
                Best Regards,
                David

Comment

Procedure for linking account, watch and server

Hi David,

I am also working on an app for which I need to link the watch to a web site and account. I was thinking of a procedure like this:
                  1. Watch sends request to server - server responds (JSON) with long, unique code and a 6-digit number.
                  2. Watch stores the code and displays the number.
                  3. User types the number on web site, web site matches the 6-digit number with a recently created code and links this to the account of the user.
                  4. On subsequent requests from watch to server, the watch can send the code again to identify itself

Did you have any thoughts about such a procedure already? Do any others have had similar thoughts and feedback?

Kind regards,

Harry

Comment

Yeah, I have thought about something like that as well. Originally, I was thinking about displaying code in browser and requiring user to enter it to watch - but that would be horrible. Doing it the other way around - by generating one-time only, random, time-limited code on server, showing it on screen of the watch and requesting to enter it on a website form makes much more sense.

There is an app in the store called dwMap which I think authenticates in this way... But I have not try it so maybe it just my imagination - I don't want to be influenced by it :-). BTW there is a support for storing passwords in GCM/GE settings as well, but I have no plans to use it...

How happy are you with the development platform? I cannot believe how bad / buggy it is. Is it just me?

Comment

For sites that need a "key", what I do is have users get that key from the site, and then to use app-settings to set it on the watch. (which can just be done with a cut and paste). That key ties the watch back to the site.. And is much easier than trying to enter it on the watch itself.
                      My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
                      Facebook - Instagram -
                      Twitter

Comment

Hi David,

Indeed, just checked, dwMap uses a similar approach. Gives some more confidence that it is probably a good approach :-)

Just thinking, can't you use Garmin Basecamp to manage the waypoint on the watch? Just tried it, and it seems to work, but it quite messy. It creates lots of tracks and locations, suddenly have 23 waypoints called 'Location' ...

Anyway, Garmin makes great watches, navigation systems, etc., but I'm not enthusiastic about their software at all. MapSource, Basecamp, Garmin Express and/or MapUpdater, this development platform.. I've been struggling with all of them. So it's not just you. But we have to live with it...

Kind regards,

Harry

Comment

possible solution to my issue

hello david
                          please look at this thread i started:

https://forums.garmin.com/search.php?searchid=1962999

Comment

Proposal

Hi David,

Fenix 3 fx 8.00 - working well.

One proposal - would it be possible in Fenix select waypoint from saved positions. Aim would be to avoid entering data for waypoint via mobile phone.

Thanks.

JP

Comment

Working...
                            X