Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Widget: Position (with address)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Widget: Position (with address)

    Hi there,

    This is a support thread for the Position widget:

    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3...c-a42b8955733e

    I am quite responsive and very interested to hear your experience and issues with the app.
    To help me resolve your problem as quickly as possible, don't forget to note which device and language you use.

    Thanks, David
    Last edited by sousekd; 03-18-2016, 08:07 AM.

  • #2
    Great widget

    First of all - fantastic widget idea. Thank you for creating that and posting it to Connect IQ.
    I have tested it (in Poland) - at it worked perfectly. I will travel soon so I will try to do some more testing in other locations.
    Few ideas:
    • as you mentioned additional screen that would show address with bigger font would be great
    • I think also it would be worth to show last registered position (along with address) before attempting to capture present one.
    • Dream feature would be of-course ability to show some kind of OpenStreetMap downloaded piece of simplified map showing area around - but I understand that this is something way more complex and challenging than obtaining a text only address.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thans for feedback

      Hi bgrenda,

      Thank you for your kind feedback. Regarding your ideas:
      1. The screen to show an address full-screen is on my list, and I will definitely implement it.
      2. With the last registered position it is tricky - if I understand that correctly, it can be quite old - do you really think such feature would be useful? It would have to be an optional feature - if enabled, it would start with the last position with clear indication it is not actual, and you would be able to start tracking by pressing START. If disabled, it would work as currently. Sounds good to you?
      3. The dream feature - maybe it would be possible to implement in some separate, much more complicated app - but is it really worth the work? It would require phone connection - and when you have phone around, isn't it easier to use the phone for anything more advanced?


      Thanks again,
      Have a nice weekend,
      David

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi sousekd,

        This seems like a useful widget, nice work. There are some others that throw all kinds of GPS info on a widget face but this is the kind of simplicity I prefer. I second bgrenda's suggested changes (item 1 and 2).

        Only issue for me is I have a Vivoactive! I wouldn't mind helping out by creating a layout for you (either in XML or code, whichever method you're using). Should be pretty simple given the source. Let me know if you're interested.

        Thanks,
        Brandon
        Vivoactive 3 owner
        Developer of Connect IQ apps for Pedlar Studios

        Check out Glance - interact with your Android phone from your watch!

        Or maybe SuperCal and SuperTask - view calendars and reminders from your iPhone on your Garmin

        Comment


        • #5
          vivoactive

          Hi BHawk,

          Thanks for your interest and an offer. I definitely want to port the widget to more devices as soon as possible, but I have started with Monkey-C and CIQ like 10 days ago, and wanted to learn some basics first. In fact, this widget is just a side product of me learning the platform to be able to write something more useful, and I still have configuration, menus and input on my list of things to learn and play with before "porting to other devices" :-).

          Anyway, we can shift priorities a bit, cannot we? Send me a private message (there is a contact developer link on the app page) and I will send you the source code (pity that it's not on GitHub yet - another thing to learn on my list…). I will be quite happy that someone else reviews it - surely I can learn a lot from your feedback.

          I don't have the code here with me, but if I remember correctly there are two layout XMLs and maybe one resource file with drawables - but some positions of the strip with scrolling address are hardcoded in the view at the moment - my plan was to extract these to a resource file for layout/device specific constants, but maybe you know some better way how to deal with this.

          This way, you will be able to use the code for your personal needs and be the first who will have this first-class world-changing famous widget on vivoactive :-). If the changes to make it work will be simple enough, I will be happy if you pass them back to me, and will re-release as soon as I will get some time again to spend with this strange little thing.

          Sounds like a plan?

          Best Regards,
          David

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sousekd View Post
            Hi BHawk,

            I definitely want to port the widget to more devices as soon as possible, but I have started with Monkey-C and CIQ like 10 days ago, and wanted to learn some basics first.
            Quick note: look at the programmer's guide in the SDK, and the section "Overriding Resources".

            For things like layouts, you basically have a structure like "resources-vivoactive", "resources-fr230", etc, for device specific things on the same level as the normal "resources" directory. Also, if you need help, in the main Connect-IQ forum (the developer forum), there are lots of folks that can help.
            My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
            Facebook - Instagram -
            Twitter

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sousekd View Post
              Hi BHawk,

              Thanks for your interest and an offer. I definitely want to port the widget to more devices as soon as possible, but I have started with Monkey-C and CIQ like 10 days ago, and wanted to learn some basics first. In fact, this widget is just a side product of me learning the platform to be able to write something more useful, and I still have configuration, menus and input on my list of things to learn and play with before "porting to other devices" :-).

              Anyway, we can shift priorities a bit, cannot we? Send me a private message (there is a contact developer link on the app page) and I will send you the source code (pity that it's not on GitHub yet - another thing to learn on my list…). I will be quite happy that someone else reviews it - surely I can learn a lot from your feedback.

              I don't have the code here with me, but if I remember correctly there are two layout XMLs and maybe one resource file with drawables - but some positions of the strip with scrolling address are hardcoded in the view at the moment - my plan was to extract these to a resource file for layout/device specific constants, but maybe you know some better way how to deal with this.

              This way, you will be able to use the code for your personal needs and be the first who will have this first-class world-changing famous widget on vivoactive :-). If the changes to make it work will be simple enough, I will be happy if you pass them back to me, and will re-release as soon as I will get some time again to spend with this strange little thing.

              Sounds like a plan?

              Best Regards,
              David
              Sounds like a plan! I've contacted you through the app page so you should receive an email.

              Thanks,
              Brandon
              Vivoactive 3 owner
              Developer of Connect IQ apps for Pedlar Studios

              Check out Glance - interact with your Android phone from your watch!

              Or maybe SuperCal and SuperTask - view calendars and reminders from your iPhone on your Garmin

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sousekd View Post
                Hi bgrenda,

                Thank you for your kind feedback. Regarding your ideas:
                1. The screen to show an address full-screen is on my list, and I will definitely implement it.
                2. With the last registered position it is tricky - if I understand that correctly, it can be quite old - do you really think such feature would be useful? It would have to be an optional feature - if enabled, it would start with the last position with clear indication it is not actual, and you would be able to start tracking by pressing START. If disabled, it would work as currently. Sounds good to you?
                3. The dream feature - maybe it would be possible to implement in some separate, much more complicated app - but is it really worth the work? It would require phone connection - and when you have phone around, isn't it easier to use the phone for anything more advanced?


                Thanks again,
                Have a nice weekend,
                David
                @1: Great!
                @2: You might be right, maybe there is no logic in it.
                @3: The part of your widget which provides the address also requires phone connection. And in same manner one could challenge it - what is the point of having the address widget on your wrist if you can pull your phone and check it in more convenient way... - well because its cool :-) So - it would be even cooler to see it in graphical form :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  vivoactive, 920XT

                  Originally posted by bgrenda View Post
                  @3: The part of your widget which provides the address also requires phone connection. And in same manner one could challenge it - what is the point of having the address widget on your wrist if you can pull your phone and check it in more convenient way... - well because its cool :-) So - it would be even cooler to see it in graphical form :-)
                  :-) you are absolutely right. What I was trying to say or wanted to say is that because of the limitations, I don't think it is worth the work. As you have said - showing just one line of a text address is much easier then building full featured map app.

                  BTW, version for vivoactive and 920XT is ready to be tested on real device, which I do not have :-). BHawk124 has vivoactive and is interested in testing. Someone with 920XT around?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Testing on a 920XT

                    Hello,
                    I just tried today the "beta" version for my Forerunner 920xt.
                    Here's my feedback

                    1) The widget loads correctly, along with the clock face and other widgets.

                    2) If I previously entered a Running profile, and GPS locked, and then went back to clock and load the Position widget, it finds the location instantly, all is ok.
                    If I have been in clock mode for more than a few minutes, and load the Position widget, it cannot find GPS position.

                    3) When the position is locked, I see correct values for Long/Lat and time of day, and a few vertical green bars, which I suppose are the "quality" of the GPS lock.
                    The pause button works ok, the position is locked and a timer starts running.

                    4) I never see a street address.
                    The Garmin Connect Mobile app is running (Windows 10 Mobile), made sure the bluetooth connection was ok, and mobile data ok.
                    Am I supposed to click something? Should the widget show anything while fetching the address?

                    5) The widget closes after 1 minute of the last button press, and reverts to clock mode. Is this expected?

                    Cheers!
                    Rodrigo Valle

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      920XT beta test / Windows Phone

                      Hi,

                      thank you very much for testing.

                      Originally posted by rodrigovalle View Post
                      If I have been in clock mode for more than a few minutes, and load the Position widget, it cannot find GPS position.
                      Hmm. This seems very strange, I have not encountered this issue on Fenix 3. It can take a while, but at the end it finds the GPS... Did you try to give it a while, eventually waking it up for example by toggling backlight to avoid exiting the widget before acquiring satellites? I think we need to wait for other users feedback on this - unfortunately I don't have 920XT to test by myself... I can theoretically prepare some very basic test widget which does nothing except trying to find satellites in order to isolate the issue. Would you be willing to test it that way?

                      Originally posted by rodrigovalle View Post
                      I never see a street address.
                      The Garmin Connect Mobile app is running (Windows 10 Mobile), made sure the bluetooth connection was ok, and mobile data ok.
                      Am I supposed to click something? Should the widget show anything while fetching the address?
                      The address should appear after couple of seconds if your phone is connected to watch and has an internet connectivity. I have just seen this thread discussing issues with Windows Phone version of GCM, which may explain why it does not work: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?340138

                      What you can try is to install my another widget which is supposed to test the connectivity, and see if your watch are able to connect to the internet: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d...d-2d9c46abeb6f. Do some other widgets which needs internet access work?

                      I have decided to finally give-up my fight with Windows Phone when Microsoft introduced Windows Phone 10, taking away nice things I loved in Windows Phone 7 and 8. I am now on iPhone and except of SMS, e-mails and start screen, everything is way better :-).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        New version - now with mini-map

                        Hi,

                        I have updated the widget so it now includes mini-map:



                        I am working on heading indication (requested feature) on the map.

                        I would love to hear from guys with 920XT and vivoactive if the widget still works well on their device. Only tested on Fenix 3.

                        Thank you very much!

                        David

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Coordinates changes always

                          Why my gps coordinates change every second when ı dont move??

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by leonurdo View Post
                            Why my gps coordinates change every second when ı dont move??
                            Hi, this is perfectly normal and is given by GPS (in)accuracy. This is why widget allows you to pause listening for GPS changes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by p3tros
                              Lovely widget! Thank you very much for your time an effort!

                              How is the second screen (the one with the map) activated?
                              Thanks! Make sure you have the latest version (check that in GCM or GE). Then on Fenix 3 press START, on 920XT press ENTER and on vivoactive tap screen. If it does not work, something is broken :-). What device do you have?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X