Collapse
No announcement yet.

[REQUEST] : Open water swim app

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I confirmed with the device team that there is no GPS filtering applied to the walking mode. The track recorded by IANFAGAN is almost certainly a fluke caused by the device failing to reacquire GPS when his arm was above water for a majority of the activity.

I also confirmed that the open water swim feature found in the FR920XT and Fenix 3 is not available on the VivoActive. If we create an API that can select this recording mode, the VivoActive will not be able to enable it.

Comment

I believe the idea behind this app shouldn't be relying in the open water swim mode that obviously is not available in the Vivoactive (and probably Garmin won't ever expose), but playing with the GPS signal strenght (if that is exposed in the API), and then do an algorithm that smoothes the GPS drops.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian.ConnectIQ View Post

I also confirmed that the open water swim feature found in the FR920XT and Fenix 3 is not available on the VivoActive. If we create an API that can select this recording mode, the VivoActive will not be able to enable it.
        Is that a technical limitation or a commercial one ?

Comment

Anyways, if it is a limitation, unless they are also blocking the GPS signal strength / drops in the API, an open water swim algorithm should be possible to implement or am I missing something ?

Thanks!

Comment

Commenting on why a particular product does or does not have a feature is out of my jurisdiction. From ConnectIQ's perspective, the product does not have the feature, so attempting to enable it would be ineffective.

Information about GPS signal strength is pretty limited in the existing API, but I know there are on going discussions about how to handle that type of data.

Controlling when FIT does and does not record track points is a complicated proposition, so I don't anticipate seeing anything in the API that can do that anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
            X